Never too Late to Read Classics discussion

A Martian Odyssey
This topic is about A Martian Odyssey
Archive FuturisticMagical > A Martian Odyssey by Stanley G. Weinbaum (July 2018)

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patrick, Friend of Muad Dib (new) - rated it 4 stars

Patrick | 655 comments Mod
The story is set in the early 21st century and features an American scientist, Dick Jarvis, who is part of the first international expedition to the planet Mars.

Enjoy!

shannon  Stubbs | 222 comments Just downloaded it. Kind of interesting about how they have people breathing on mars.

message 3: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (last edited Jul 05, 2018 02:58AM) (new)

Lesle | 6300 comments Mod
Patrick I found a link from Project Gutenberg if any of your Sci-Fi Members would like to read online:

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/23731...

It is a Short Story at 32 pages.

shannon  Stubbs | 222 comments A very quick read. Is there a part two to the story? Or is it a part of a series? I enjoyed reading it.

message 5: by Patrick, Friend of Muad Dib (new) - rated it 4 stars

I don’t think there’s a part 2. It’s only 32 pages or something like that. I’m glad you liked it!

I’ll start it next week 😁

Peter (slawophilist) | 105 comments Valley Of Dreams apparently is a sequel to A Martian Odyssey. I will not go for it, though, as I was not impressed of the story. The language reminded me rather to a wild west movie or Star Trek episode from the 60s. There are much better books to address the difficulty how to deal with alien lifeforms (Solaris by Stanislaw Lem being my favourite).

message 7: by Patrick, Friend of Muad Dib (new) - rated it 4 stars

I can’t find Solaris anywhere. I go to used bookstores and B&N and none of them have it

shannon  Stubbs | 222 comments I found it on Amazon. I think I will read Solaris. Thanks. I did like the aliens in the Martian Odyssey. They were an interesting lot.

shannon  Stubbs | 222 comments Maybe Gutenberg project might have Solaris.

message 10: by Patrick, Friend of Muad Dib (new) - rated it 4 stars

I’ll have to check thanks!

Peter (slawophilist) | 105 comments Just be aware that Solaris is a VERY different story. It is more about humans and their reaction when being confronted with a totally different lifeform and its interactions. Parts of the book that are almost psychedelic.

There are also two movies based on "Solaris", a US-one from 2002 directed by Steven Soderbergh and one from 1972 produced in the Soviet Union, which belongs to my all-time favourite movies.

shannon  Stubbs | 222 comments I haven't seen either movie.

shannon  Stubbs | 222 comments So far i have read the first chapter of Solaris. I'm hooked. Thanks for the suggestion.

Peter (slawophilist) | 105 comments shannon wrote: "So far i have read the first chapter of Solaris. I'm hooked. Thanks for the suggestion."

I'm glad you like it (so far). If Stanisław Lem meets your taste I can also recommend Tales of Pirx the Pilot and The Invincible.

message 15: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rosemarie | 8962 comments Mod
I just read the story and enjoyed it. Silicon based life forms appeared in a
Star Trek episode, but the creature in this story is quite a bit different.

message 16: by Bernard (new)

Bernard Smith | 2177 comments Carbon based lifeforms like us are in perpetual war with the silicon based ones.

shannon  Stubbs | 222 comments They kind of remind me of jelly fish.

message 18: by fp63 (new) - rated it 4 stars

fp63 | 17 comments Hello, I first found the english ebook but it was a struggle to read it.. I found on amazon the french ebook with other stories but I didn t want to buy it since I only wanted to read the short story. The free extract was enough because it was the martian odyssey story! I could read it much more easily and it was fun to read. Thanks for the suggestion!

message 19: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rosemarie | 8962 comments Mod
That was lucky.

message 20: by Patrick, Friend of Muad Dib (new) - rated it 4 stars

I found it on YouTube. I’ll be listening to it soon. Right after I finish David Copperfield.

shannon  Stubbs | 222 comments You can find audio books on YouTube?

message 22: by Patrick, Friend of Muad Dib (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lol yup! Some get taken off because of copyright laws but I try to get to them before they do. The older books however can stay because they are in the public domain.

shannon  Stubbs | 222 comments I always learn something new from this sight.

message 24: by Patrick, Friend of Muad Dib (new) - rated it 4 stars

I finished the story. Better late than never, right?
The Martian reminded me of the green bird that teaches Samos how to use the high jump boots in Super Metroid. How he runs, jumps up, and then comes crashing down. lol