Never too Late to Read Classics discussion

2001: A Space Odyssey
This topic is about 2001
Archive FuturisticMagical > 2001 A Space Odyssey by Arthur C Clarke (July 2018)

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patrick, Friend of Muad Dib (new) - rated it 4 stars

Patrick | 655 comments Mod
On the Moon, an enigma is uncovered.

So great are the implications of this discovery that for the first time men are sent out deep into our solar system.

But long before their destination is reached, things begin to go horribly, inexplicably wrong...

One of the greatest-selling science fiction novels of our time, this classic book will grip you to the very end.

Enjoy!

message 2: by Inkspill (new)

Inkspill (runinkspill) I have a copy of the screenplay and reading that instead. I haven't seen the movie recently but don't remember it like this.

the description and opening scenes with Moonwalker, will post a couple of examples

Fannie D'Ascola | 56 comments Please do. I am curious to see what are the différences. I think that they wrote the movie script at the same time as the book.

message 4: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosemarie | 8965 comments Mod
The cover of the book I am reading says "Based on the screenplay by Stanley Kubrick and Arthur C. Clarke.

I have just started the book and the monolith is a crystal in the book instead of black. The black is definitely more striking!

message 5: by Patrick, Friend of Muad Dib (new) - rated it 4 stars

I've never seen the movie. Is it any good?

message 6: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new) - rated it 4 stars

You need to see the movie on the biggest screen possible! The sound track is amazing. I first saw it in the theatres in 1972 and it was excellent. It is not the same on TV.

message 7: by Inkspill (new)

Inkspill (runinkspill) Fannie wrote: "Please do. I am curious to see what are the différences. I think that they wrote the movie script at the same time as the book."

Yeah, sorry - I forgot to do this.

Here's an example from almost the beginning:

EXT AFRICAN PLAIN - HERBIVORES

Moonwatcher and his companions search for berries, fruit
and leaves, and fight off pangs of hunger, while all around
them, competing with them for the samr fodder, is a potential
source of more food than they could ever hope to eat. Yet
all the thousands of tons of meat roaming over the parched
savanna and through the brush is not only beyond their reach;
the idea of eating it is beyond their imagination. They are
slowly starving to death in the midst of plenty.

an example from the middle of the screenplay - between one of the crew, BOWMAN, and the computer HAL

VISION SCREEN GOES
BLANK

HAL
Sorry to interrupt the festivities,
Dave, but I think we've got a
problem.

BOWMAN
What is it, Hal?

HAL
MY F.P.C. shows an impending
failure of the antenna orientation
unit.

Does this sound like the novel?

Rosemarie you mention it's based on the screenplay, I didn't know that - maybe the book and movie were written in tandem ???

I really enjoyed reading the screenplay - not sure if I understood the last two pages of a v long narration tieing everything together

message 8: by Fannie (last edited Jul 11, 2018 06:57AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fannie D'Ascola | 56 comments Thank you.

It does not sound like the novel. What I like about the book was that everything was explained in opposition to the movie. For example, the first scene you wrote is not the same. In the novel, you understand that the monolith changed Moonwatcher.

Still like the movie a lot, just a different experience.

And yes the movie and the book were written at the same time.

message 9: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new) - rated it 4 stars

I have just finished Part 4- Abyss. Things begin to go wrong in this section and the movie portrays them in a much more dramatic manner. The action is condensed in the book, but the outcome is the same.

message 10: by Phil (new) - rated it 5 stars

Phil J | 83 comments I love the book and the movie in different ways. It's interesting that Kubrick told the story like a paranormal, transcendental experience, and Clarke told the same story with clear scientific explanations.

message 11: by Patrick, Friend of Muad Dib (new) - rated it 4 stars

I've got to watch this movie! lol

message 12: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new) - rated it 4 stars

I just finished the book, after last reading it in the 80s.

You do have to watch the movie, Patrick. Stanley Kubrick did an amazing job creating the film.

message 13: by fp63 (new) - rated it 4 stars

fp63 | 17 comments Hello, just finished reading this book. I wanted to read during the holidays and NTLTRC offered me an occasion to read! I didn t find the french ebook on amazon so I bought the english one. It s difficult to understand and picture everything since i dont understand everything especially at the end. Nervertheless it is a good book with good suspense. It is just a pity that the end was a lot confusing to me.

message 14: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new) - rated it 4 stars

The end was confusing to me when I first read it too, and I saw the movie first.
In the sequel, 2010, we find out more about what happened to Dave, which helped me a lot.
In the case of 2010, the book is better than the movie but the movie is okay.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

i loved book and movie. I do not think a seqeule was needed. It breaks the mysterie and does not allow you to have a personal opinion or view about what's next.
And as ussual the sequel was no where neard the quality of the Original (book and movie)

message 16: by Patrick, Friend of Muad Dib (last edited Jul 30, 2018 09:18AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I agree. Sequels today are only written for money not necessarily for the story.

message 17: by Patrick, Friend of Muad Dib (new) - rated it 4 stars

However, if anyone is interested in reading the next three books let me know.

message 18: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new) - rated it 4 stars

I reread 2010 last year, but am planning on reading 2061, maybe in September. Sooner if I get through my August reading list quickly. (Highly unlikely, but you never know)

message 19: by Bernard (new)

Bernard Smith | 2177 comments I will stick with 2001 (,the film). It is puzzling, but visually stunning.

message 20: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new) - rated it 4 stars

And an incredible soundtrack!

message 21: by fp63 (new) - rated it 4 stars

fp63 | 17 comments I followed the advice of Rosemarie: I found the book 2010: odyssée deux on a shelf at a beach where you can take or give books freely (really cool thing I think). I took it and read it: it was in French so a lot easier for me to read, and you are right, I was able to understand better what happened to Dave. And also the plot advances and it's like a TV show, there is suspense and I want to read the next book!

Well it's not a classic because it was written in 1982, so for the challenges I will have to wait the next old book I'll read.

Fannie D'Ascola | 56 comments I liked that one too (and read it in french also). You could also read 3001 the final odyssey. Not as good, but fun.

message 23: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new) - rated it 4 stars

There is also 2061.
I am generally a big fan of Arthur C. Clarke.
Childhood's End is another of his good novels.

Fannie D'Ascola | 56 comments I'll add that one to my TBR. I really liked Rendezvous with Rama too.

message 25: by fp63 (new) - rated it 4 stars

fp63 | 17 comments I just went to the library to borrow a book where there are the 4 novels of the serie (2001 , 2010, 2061 and 3001). I will have a lot to read... and I won't advance in the challenges!

message 26: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new) - rated it 4 stars

That counts as four books, because each was originally published separately.

message 27: by fp63 (new) - rated it 4 stars

fp63 | 17 comments Yes but only 2001 will count as a classic, since the others were published after 1968
I just finished 2061 and was disappointed. I think I'll read 3001 but I'm not so sure that it will be fun.

message 28: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new) - rated it 4 stars

3001 is about Frank Poole.