Play Book Tag discussion

The Light of the Fireflies
This topic is about The Light of the Fireflies
June 2018: Magical Realism > The Light of the Fireflies - Paul Pen- 4.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments The Light of the Fireflies is a great book. From the prologue I was captivated,. I love how the details slowly unfold in a way so your questions are answered within the story instead of being told the answers.

This is the story of a boy living in a basement with his family (father, mother, sister, brother, and grandmother) who are all burned, his sister burned so much that she has to wear a mask to cover her deformity. Why are they in the basement? Why don't they leave? What are they hiding from? At meal time, why is there always an extra plate prepared that no one eats. Read the book to find out.

The story is told in 3 parts. All wonderful and disturbing. The first part is by far the best. A 5 star read. The second was disappointing as I found it to be unlikely, but is very important to the first part. I give this a 3.5 rating. The last part of the book is amazing and shocking. 4.5 stars. When combined, 4.5 stars. This is not your standard novel.

The magical realism is a minor thing, but eventually plays a large role in the book. If I tell any more, it may ruin the experience of the story. As described in one review, a great beginners novel into magical realism.

message 2: by Joy D (new) - added it

Joy D | 4612 comments Nice review, Jason! Sounds intriguing. Adding to my TBR.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review! Jason the questions you ask make me want to read this book. Nice catch.:)

message 4: by Jgrace (new) - added it

Jgrace | 3106 comments It sounds good. And you reminded me that I own this one.
So many books........

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments Thank-yall.

I hope yall enjoy it as much as I did.

message 6: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I have this book in my TBR, will be bumping it up after reading your review.