SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Group Reads Discussions 2018 > "The Farthest Shore" - First Impressions *No Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Allison Hurd | 13043 comments Mod
This is the sequel fantasy pick! We're back on the ol' Archipelago. Did you miss it?

Please, no commentary on character growth or the plot of this book. (Please be warned, it's possible that some comments about the previous two books will enter discussion!!)

message 2: by Anthony (new)

Anthony (albinokid) | 1471 comments I adore the progression of Ged/Sparrowhawk from the first book to this book, and adore the manner in which each book shows a young person coming to know his or her own self and power.

message 3: by Anna, Circadian heretic (last edited Jul 01, 2018 04:25AM) (new)

message 4: by Ariana (new)

Ariana | 657 comments This one is feeling darker than the first two. Maybe it's just that I had a vague recollection of the endings of the first two from my first reading decades ago, and this one I don't remember at all?

message 5: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

It feels very similar to Wizard for me, which I did think surprisingly dark for being a children's book. But I suppose the "stakes" are higher in this one, so to speak.

message 6: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Dr M, that's a very thoughtful and intriguing comment but I've moved it to the full discussion thread so that it doesn't accidentally spoil anything for anyone.

message 7: by Dr M (new)

Dr M | 14 comments Allison wrote: "Dr M, that's a very thoughtful and intriguing comment but I've moved it to the full discussion thread so that it doesn't accidentally spoil anything for anyone."

That's fine! Thank you, Allison! I tried to keep it spoiler free, but I absolutely accept that there is a bit of a grey area there.

message 8: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Better safe :) And as it was such a valuable comment, I wanted to make sure people could respond to it fully!

message 9: by Bobby (new)

Bobby | 869 comments I'm struggling with this book. For the first two books of the series, I thought they started out slow, but then I got into them about 25% of the way through and couldn't put them down. I'm at 53% of this one, and it's had some good parts, but nothing that has kept me wanting to read instead of doing something else.

From the beginning, I've thought these books had a little too much telling and not enough showing. We know how the characters feel because the author tells us how they feel, not because we see it in their interactions with each other. It gives us a lot of information, but I just can't really seem to get attached to the characters. I do really like the complex world and culture she created, but it's just not my favorite so far. The other books pulled me in eventually, so I'm going to persevere and hope there is a great ending like the other two.

message 10: by Francisca (new)

Francisca | 228 comments I'm about 25% through now. I really like the slow rhythm of these books and the way things slowly unfold as you discover alongside the characters. And I agree with Steve, I love being on a boat in Earthsea! :)

Also, hiding this in tags in case predictions count as spoilers (view spoiler)