Our Classical Journey discussion

Books Read in 2017-2018 > Doomed Love - Non Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Loretta | 3979 comments Mod
Please use this thread for first impressions (non-spoilers), background and general information.

message 2: by MJD (new)

MJD | 331 comments I thought that I had read everything by Virgil, so it came as a surprise to me that this book was listed as Virgil's. After a bit of investigating I found out that that this is the first part of a larger work - that I did read and enjoy - The Aeneid.

While I will not get into spoilers at this point I do want to say that while the first part of the larger work could technically be read as a self-contained story now that I think of it, I do think that it works better as a part of a larger story.

So... if you turn out to like this I would encourage you to read The Aeneid as a whole (note: I have theThe Aeneid translated by Robert Fagles and enjoy it immensely, but I cannot be a voucher for other translations).

message 3: by MJD (new)

MJD | 331 comments The Torrents of Spring by Ivan Turgenev alludes to and directly references this tale. You may like to read this book to see Ivan Turgenev reworking Virgil's tale to tell his.

message 4: by Loretta, Moderator (last edited Jul 02, 2018 03:43PM) (new)

I loved The Torrents of Spring MJD!

I'm very much enjoying this book. I hope other members will join in! 😊

message 5: by John (new)

John MJD wrote: "So... if you turn out to like this I would encourage you to read The Aeneid as a whole (note: I have The Aeneid translated by Robert Fagles and enjoy it immensely ..."

I was unsure of starting this since I couldn't finish The Iliad, but Book 1 of the Aeneid seems to be more readable than The Iliad. I also have the Fagles translation, and I believe it was also his translation of The Iliad I attempted, so I'm not sure why I'm enjoying this more.

Best not to question my enjoyment, I suppose.

message 6: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

John wrote: "MJD wrote: "So... if you turn out to like this I would encourage you to read The Aeneid as a whole (note: I have The Aeneid translated by Robert Fagles and enjoy it immensely ..."

I was unsure of ..."

I'm so happy John that you're joining reading this book! I've got a few books going at once at present but knowing that you're reading this I'm going to delve more into my reading! 😊

message 7: by MJD (new)

MJD | 331 comments John wrote: "MJD wrote: "So... if you turn out to like this I would encourage you to read The Aeneid as a whole (note: I have The Aeneid translated by Robert Fagles and enjoy it immensely ..."

I was unsure of ..."

I also read Fagles' translations of The Iliad and The Aeneid, and enjoyed Aeneid a lot more. I think that Virgil is the determinate factor as to why one Fagles translation is better than the other.

message 8: by MJD (new)

MJD | 331 comments For anyone interested in the political climate that Virgil was writing in I would recommend the book Augustus: The Life of Rome's First Emperor.