2-3-4 Challenge discussion

Archives - Monthly Reading Plans > Jessika's July 2018

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessika (last edited Jul 29, 2018 12:10PM) (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) You might have noticed that H is for Homicide was on my "currently reading" all last month, but I literally read the first 2 pages and then stopped. I'll try again this month!

Currently Reading
Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3) by Marissa Meyer Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra The Dive From Clausen's Pier by Ann Packer

Plan: Series
Goal completed for this month.

Plan: Other
What If? Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions by Randall Munroe So, Anyway... by John Cleese

Completed
The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick H is for Homicide (Kinsey Millhone, #8) by Sue Grafton Stiff The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul (Dirk Gently, #2) by Douglas Adams

message 2: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 11399 comments Mod
Good luck with “H” Jessika! I’ve been there.

Enjoy the month.

message 3: by Christina T (new)

Christina T (crysteena73) | 558 comments Jessika wrote: "You might have noticed that H is for Homicide was on my "currently reading" all last month, but I literally read the first 2 pages and then stopped. I'll try again this month!

Curren..."

I really like the Alphabet series. I've only read up to R I think...maybe S. I should finish it up.

message 4: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Thanks! You too!

message 5: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Gah, even with the new app, they still don't make it easy to edit or reply...

@Christina, I like it too! I'm not a huge mystery person, but so far it's holding my interest. My problem is starting, but once I'm into one, I don't have a problem finishing.

message 6: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1631 comments Those Dirk Gently books have fun titles. Have a great month, Jessika!

message 7: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) @Veronica, yes, they do! They are quirky books for sure.

message 8: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 4519 comments Mod
Hope you have a wonderful month of reading, Jessika!

message 9: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) @Lauren, thanks, you too!

message 10: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 2546 comments Some interesting reading. Enjoy

message 11: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Michelle wrote: "Some interesting reading. Enjoy"

Thanks! Best wishes to you.

message 12: by Jessika (last edited Jul 02, 2018 08:37AM) (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick

Already went off plan with The Invention of Hugo Cabret. Very sweet story (and short, to help me catch up on my yearly goal!)

message 13: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2344 comments Good luck with your books, especially H because I is waiting!

message 14: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Laura wrote: "Good luck with your books, especially H because I is waiting!"

Thanks, I'll try my best!

message 15: by Jonetta (new)

Jessika wrote: "The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick

Already went off plan with The Invention of Hugo Cabret. Very sweet story (and short, to help me catch up on my yearly goal!)"

Lol! Hey, a plan is just a suggestion.

message 16: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Jonetta wrote: "Lol! Hey, a plan is just a suggestion."

Haha yeah, I like that!

message 17: by Karen ♐ (new)

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 443 comments Hope you have a great month, Jessika!

message 18: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Karen ♐ wrote: "Hope you have a great month, Jessika!"

Thank you, you too!

message 19: by Jessika (last edited Jul 14, 2018 04:42AM) (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) H is for Homicide (Kinsey Millhone, #8) by Sue Grafton

Finished H is for Homicide today! Once I got started, I really liked this one! 4.5/5 stars. Hardly had anything to do with Kinsey investigating; she more or less haphazardly fell into an auto insurance fraud ring. Very interesting, and a step away from the formula of some of the other books.

message 20: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) I'm off list again, as I'm currently enveloped in Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers on audiobook. I had to take a break from Don Quixote. Also, I had to put a pause on Cress, as it was due back to the library, and my library has a strict no-renew policy if other people have it on hold... which I didn't know, as I've only just started to use the library again after 10 years. So I'm back on the hold list, estimated time of 4 weeks!!! :(

message 21: by Jonetta (new)

Jessika wrote: "H is for Homicide (Kinsey Millhone, #8) by Sue Grafton

Finished H is for Homicide today! Once I got started, I really liked this one! 4.5/5 stars. Hardly had anything to do with Kinsey investigating..."

Looking forward to starting this series.

message 22: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinmy) | 2586 comments Jessika wrote: "H is for Homicide (Kinsey Millhone, #8) by Sue Grafton

Finished H is for Homicide today! Once I got started, I really liked this one! 4.5/5 stars. Hardly had anything to do with Kinsey investigating..."

I remember that one. It was one of my favorites in the series. I have to get back to reading these.

message 23: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Jonetta wrote: "Looking forward to starting this series."

I hope you enjoy it! I am disappointed that the family has stated they won't have a ghost writer to write Z... but, who knows, maybe that will change in the future.

message 24: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Robin wrote: "I remember that one. It was one of my favorites in the series. I have to get back to reading these."

Which one are you up to? Maybe we can encourage each other along the way. :)

message 25: by Jessika (last edited Jul 19, 2018 08:04AM) (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Stiff The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach

I finished Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers this morning. An interesting read, and quite funny in parts. Looking at her other books, it seems this author likes to tackle some tough topics! I gave it 3.5/5 stars, but rounded down to 3 because, you know, dead bodies...

On a side note, I really wish GR would let you do 1/2 star ratings, or go from 1 to 10 stars. In my mind, there is such a HUGE gap between 3 stars and 4 stars, especially.

message 26: by Jonetta (new)

Jessika wrote: "Jonetta wrote: "Looking forward to starting this series."

I hope you enjoy it! I am disappointed that the family has stated they won't have a ghost writer to write Z... but, who knows, maybe that ..."

All it takes is for someone to start a petition.

message 27: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinmy) | 2586 comments Jessika wrote: "Robin wrote: "I remember that one. It was one of my favorites in the series. I have to get back to reading these."

Which one are you up to? Maybe we can encourage each other along the way. :)"

I think I'm up to either R or S. It's been so long since I've read this series.

message 28: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 2809 comments I've read the whole Kinsey Milhorn series by Sue Grafton and love them all. So sad that there won't be any more.

message 29: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) @Robin and Anita - Cool, glad to know I'm in it with some others! Apparently, I've been reading at a pace of 3 per year... I hope to increase that this year! Otherwise, it would take another 6 years or so to finish, lol!

message 30: by Anita (new)

Anita (anitanodiva) | 2809 comments I'm on the same pace with the In Death series!

message 31: by Jessika (last edited Jul 22, 2018 02:24PM) (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul (Dirk Gently, #2) by Douglas Adams

I finished The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul this weekend. Another odd tale from Douglas Adams, but entertaining and a quick read. I gave it 3.5/5 stars. My husband and I just finished watching the BBC show, which has little to do with the books, but is also quirky and adventurous.

The third "Dirk Gently" book, I understand, was complied after the author's death, and is a collection of stories and essays, not really another Dirk Gently novel. Oh well, I will read on! And since it is considered "Dirk Gently #3," I will be counting it as completing the series as soon as I get around to reading it.

message 32: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) I have 3 books about 50% completed, but doubt I'll finish before the month is up. So I've started my August thread. Happy reading, everyone!