Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > The Kindly Ones - Littell - Kristel & Diane Z.

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 4325 comments Mod
The Kindly Ones by Jonathan Littell published 2006, named one of the "100 Best Books of the Decade" by The Times of London. The Kindly Ones is a historical fiction novel written in French by American-born author Jonathan Littell.
Winner of the Prix Goncourt (2006), Independent Foreign Fiction Prize Nominee for Longlist (2010), Grand Prix du Roman de l'Académie française (2006).

Pre Reading Discussions

1. Will you be reading this book? Why or Why Not? What are your expectations? What format are you reading in?

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 896 comments I am planning to read this when I get to the correct country. :)

message 3: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 282 comments 1. I borrowed the audiobook, though I’m not sure if I’ll get to it or not and if so, when. I seem to recall there being some sort of big discussion about the content of this one when it came out? Maybe?

message 4: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I wasn’t originally planning on this one, but given the current politics it seems like a good time to dive into what I’m sure will be an interesting and disturbing read. I currently have the ebook from the library.

message 5: by Kristel (new)

Chinook wrote: "1. I borrowed the audiobook, though I’m not sure if I’ll get to it or not and if so, when. I seem to recall there being some sort of big discussion about the content of this one when it came out? M..."

I started it and the content and the protagonist are jarring.

message 6: by Diane (last edited Jul 01, 2018 06:28AM) (new)

Diane  | 2044 comments 1. Will you be reading this book?

Yes, hopefully.

What are your expectations?

I have no expectations. I know very little about the book.

What format are you reading in?

I will be listening to the Audible version.

message 7: by Chili (new)

Chili Hanson (chilipinkcat) | 59 comments I’m planning on reading it and I own a copy. I want to get the Count finished before I start it. So it will be awhile before I start it.

message 8: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 1340 comments Mod
I have purchased a Kindle copy so I can take this big book with me on vacation. I have no expectations about the book either as I know very little. I have read a few pages and I am intrigued.

message 9: by Paula (new)

Paula S (paula_s) | 220 comments I found a cheap but very fat paperback and hopefully I'll get around to actually reading it. I have no expectations yet.

message 10: by Gail (last edited Jul 03, 2018 11:56AM) (new)

Gail (gailifer) | 1583 comments I have a huge physical hardcover that has been sitting on my shelf for a long time. I believe I had the book passed on to me from my sister. I have never even opened it and was surprised to find what it was about and that it was on the 1001 books list. I will be reading this book finally.

message 11: by Pip (new)

Pip | 1528 comments I wondered if I should bring such a large paperback with me on holiday, but I am so pleased that I did, because however difficult its subject matter it was relevant to most of the countries I visited. The legacy of Nazism is everywhere.

message 12: by Kristel (new)

Pip wrote: "I wondered if I should bring such a large paperback with me on holiday, but I am so pleased that I did, because however difficult its subject matter it was relevant to most of the countries I visit..."
I listened to the audio but also decided the book was necessary. I have quite a few passages marked in the book.