Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Two different books, not different editions

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 22 comments ISBN 0-385-03097-5 is The Cloud of Unknowing translated and w/intro by William Johnston.
ISBN 978-1-59030-622-2 is The Cloud of Unknowing translated and introduction by Carmen Acevedo Butcher.
They are listed as different *editions* of the same book, but they should be separated; they are completely different translations with different notes by different people. I am reading both but cannot list them both on my "currently reading" shelf.

message 2: by Scott (new)

Scott | 25168 comments If the original text is the same, they are the same book (different editions.)

You can add the second one to your shelf by clicking "review this edition" on its page.

message 3: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 22 comments I’m reading 5 different translations; only two are conflated. It seems strange since they are completely different and have different ISBN’s. Id be really annoyed if I ordered the Butcher translation and got Progoff. Doesn’t make any sense to me. It’s not just a different cover. The content is completely different.

message 4: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 22 comments By original text, I’m assuming you mean that every single translation of the Bible, for instance, should only be entered once?

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 22 comments Scott, can you clarify? I don’t understand clicking “review this.

message 6: by Scott (last edited Jun 30, 2018 08:00PM) (new)

Scott | 25168 comments Sandra wrote: "Scott, can you clarify? I don’t understand clicking “review this."

Sorry, I forgot that they changed the wording recently. Now it says "review [edition, i.e. hardcover, paperback, etc.]", right next to where it says "My Activity." If you have already added an edition to your shelves, you can create new activity/review by clicking that link on the additional edition.

Different translations simply do not make a completely different book, and the ISBN doesn't have anything to do with it at all. Multiple ISBNs are always combined if the book is the same. (I have found some stray editions and combined them.)

I'm not sure where ordering comes into it. GR is not a store although it does have store links. And if you click on that link you should be taken to the specific edition (if there is an ISBN), if it is still available. After you leave GR, it would be your responsibility to be sure you get the correct edition.

I do not know offhand how GR handles bibles; that is out of my area of expertise.

message 7: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 22 comments Although I'm still a bit confused about the logic here I'm thrilled that you could give me a work-around. I could find separate links for the separate ISBNs but it would only let me be "currently reading" one of them at a time, and I'm comparing translations.

Thanks for your comments -- very helpful!