Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > The Girl in the Ice by Robert Bryndza - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy D (last edited Jun 30, 2018 06:55PM) (new)

Joy D | 4616 comments The Girl in the Ice by Robert Bryndza - 3 stars

An absorbing murder mystery, this contemporary fiction introduces Detective Chief Investigator Erika Foster as a capable, sometimes stubborn, investigator reeling from the recent violent death of her husband on a case she was managing. After a leave of absence, she is asked to take the lead on a murder investigation in London. To solve the case, she must deal with obstacles such as departmental politics, a wealthy interfering family, and dismissal of her theories.

While not ground-breaking, I thought the plot was well-conceived. I found it a bit repetitive and it contained several elements that stretched the limits of believability. Not being in this line of work, I struggled with some of the actions of the police personnel and wonder if they really act as depicted in this novel? I hope not, as at times I found myself questioning their competence.

I think a novel like this appeals to the widespread desire for fairness and justice, especially in today’s world where these qualities can be elusive. Content warnings include sex trafficking, prostitution, violence (rape, murder, assault), descriptions of dead bodies, cruelty to animals, and profanity. Recommended to fans of crime fiction, especially murder mysteries or detective stories. It would also be a good choice for beach reading if you don’t mind macabre subject matter.

A page-turner with a strong plot, good pacing, and a straight-forward writing style.

Link to my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 2: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I enjoyed this book a bit more, although at times I found Erika a bit annoying, sometimes sabotaging her own career.

message 3: by Joy D (new)

Joy D | 4616 comments I read this for a book club and don't often read crime fiction anymore. I think those that regularly read murder mysteries will enjoy this book. I tended to give Erika a pass due to her recent bereavement. I thought perhaps some of her impulsive and self-destructive behavior could have stemmed from it. Her superiors seemed to be blocking her at every turn, which I didn't quite understand since they should all be on the same team to catch the murderer.