Beta Reader Group discussion

Authors Seeking FREE Betas > Looking for a Beta/Alpha reader for my 83K word YA Fantasy novel

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Lyons | 2 comments Hello Beta readers of the world. Come all ye faithful and see what is in store for you. Hit the author with an assortment of rotten vegetables. Four throws for a single shilling!

I'm a new author who is way past his prime. I have very little formal writing experience, and I am more broke than a twelfth century peasant.

The book I present to you is of more an alpha stage rather than beta. I consider it somewhere in between. I have done some light editing and spellchecking but that is about it. I am looking for a view on the plot (is it boring?), is the structure sound (why is it like this? what were you thinking!?), and character development (wow he's bland, why do they all sound like that?). This draft has little to no formatting. I want to know what feels like it doesn't work. Everything from start to finish has a budget of approximately $0 because I have to be more concerned with food on the table for my family than anything else :)

I wanted to start off with a more simplistic writing style in a genre I enjoy. Keeping my vocabulary around middle/early high school level (because frankly mine isn't much higher than that). I'm especially worried about the characters. It's somewhat difficult to channel my inner 18 year old cheerleader as a 35 year old male. I worry some of my own personality seeps in and may ruin the characters. But hey, lets hope I'm wrong! So without further ado, here is a brief intro massive background explosions

Tomorrow morning I'll wake up and have a strange glowing number on my back. It's something I'll have for the rest of my life along with everyone else who lives to be eighteen. For most of us, it won't change a thing. Our numbers will be too low to perform anything more than stupid parlor tricks. And if there's anything I have learned during my short time on this earth is that life is wholly unfair to people like me. To hope for anything more than a ten would be like wishing for world peace. Fat chance. But I can't worry about that now. I have to make it out of school alive first.

What I didn't know, is that I wouldn't have a number like everyone else. I would have something entirely different. And with it, a power that has only been seen once before. This power was known as death incarnate and the Special Forces wouldn't hesitate to kill anyone who possessed this power. So how does one navigate the labyrinth of high school, girls, and a murderous army of super soldiers hell bent on your destruction? Like an elephant walking on a bridge made of glass. One misstep, and it's the pit for me. Literally.

message 2: by (bookworms ate my brain) Beffy (last edited Jul 01, 2018 09:42PM) (new)

(bookworms ate my brain) Beffy | 2 comments Hi Christopher,
I've never beta read for anyone before, if that isn't a problem for you I'd really like to read your book. I'm also new to the group and still learning how all of this works, would you like to email me the first chapter and see how it goes?

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren van Vliet | 4 comments Hello Christopher,
Your summary has me hooked! I'd be interested in beta reading for you, but I'm wondering about the timeline. I don't have a lot of time this month, although August is quite a bit more flexible. I don't want to commit to a timeline that won't work for either of us. Feel free to send me a DM.
Hope to hear from you soon!

message 4: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Lyons | 2 comments I sent you a DM Lauren. Unfortunately Beffy I can't seem to message you. Maybe you disabled it? I'm new to goodreads so I'm not entirely sure.

(bookworms ate my brain) Beffy | 2 comments Sorry Christopher, I've changed my account settings so it should work now. Thanks for your patience.