Nordic Noir discussion

General > Just finished Dragon Tattoo, what next?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate Hawkins I just finished up reading the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and I loved it, one of my favorite books by far. I was wondering what you all would reccomend I read next. I myself am Swedish and love the setting of my Nordic homeland for some good old noir, so if you have some recommendations I'd sure appreciate it.

message 2: by Anna, the Enabler (new)

Anna (aetm) | 192 comments how about James Thompson and Snow Angels? it is the first book of his Kari Vaara detective series in Finland.
he was a really, really nice friend and author and who was always helpful and very active here in goodreads too. he just died this past weekend :'( it hurts.

message 3: by Andy (new)

Andy Well, I'd read the other two in the series next Josiah & then recommend Jo Nesbo; Don Bartlett Harry Hole series set in & around Oslo mostly.

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate Hawkins Thank you both for the reccomendations ill take a look at them all.

message 5: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) I love all of James Thompson. I'm currently reading The Redbreastby Jo Nesbø and enjoying it (so far). I'm also a big Harry Hole fan.

message 6: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) Anna wrote: "how about James Thompson and Snow Angels? it is the first book of his Kari Vaara detective series in Finland.
he was a really, really nice friend and author and who wa..."

I did not know he died. How very shocking and sad.

message 7: by Jan (new)

Jan Wallcraft | 21 comments Oh that's sad about James Thompson, I just read Snow Angels a few weeks ago, it was good.

As you are Swedish Josiah, do read Sjowall and Wahloo's classic Martin Beck series, starting with Roseanna. Not very similar to Larsson, but they are SO well written, very good commentary on Swedish culture and politics, and fantastic sense of humour to lighten the police procedural style.

message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate Hawkins thanks for the reccomendation Jan, ill need to take a look at those