Golden Age of Hollywood Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Goodreads Friend Requests

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mollie (new)

Mollie Harrison Pennock | 91 comments Recently, I have begun receiving multiple requests from individuals who want to follow me on Goodreads. They have limited information on their profile, and all are from Brooklyn, NY. Could this be spam? I know not to accept such requests on Facebook, but I haven't encountered this on Goodreads before.

message 2: by Doubledf99.99 (new)

Doubledf99.99 | 271 comments Same here as well, all from Brooklyn.

message 3: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) | 2491 comments Mod
not experiencing it myself. I can confirm though, that for some reason, Brooklyn is one of the 'hubs' of identity theft in the usa

message 4: by Mollie (new)

Mollie Harrison Pennock | 91 comments I will no longer accept the requests then and just removed the ones I previously accepted. It's concerning as my Goodreads and Facebook accounts are linked, so they can infiltrate my Facebook profile, too. Recently, I began receiving daily Facebook friend requests from single, accomplished, athletic males. ha I knew enough to report those as spam. Don't people have better things to do with their time?

message 5: by Doubledf99.99 (new)

Doubledf99.99 | 271 comments I just hit the ignore button, and I don't have FB. No request for today so far so good.

message 6: by Mollie (new)

Mollie Harrison Pennock | 91 comments I contacted Goodreads, and someone responded very promptly. I emailed them the links of five recent requests from Brooklyn. Goodreads responded that the accounts appear to be legitimate. I understand someone I don't know may want to follow me and vice versa based on common reading interests. But it seems suspicious there are so many requests, with skimpy profiles, and all from Brooklyn. I checked the names against this group's membership, and none matched.

message 7: by Doubledf99.99 (new)

Doubledf99.99 | 271 comments Thanks for your contact with GR.
Yea and none of the request are friends with my other friends.
Some of them have not read any books, and the few that have no compassion at all with the books I've read. Something is definitely up.
I've gone two days now without a request.

message 8: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) | 2491 comments Mod
"Hey Doc... didja ...ever get the feeling... you were being...watched?"

message 9: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 2554 comments I had that problem recently, but they were all from China! I deleted them and contacted GR.

message 10: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) | 2826 comments I get immediately suspicious of friend requests from those who have not reviewed or even read any books. Those have slowed down recently but I try to be careful before accepting any requests.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.