EVERYONE Has Read This but Me - The Catch-Up Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
[ARCHIVES] GENERAL > July 2018 book announcement

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Melanie (last edited Jun 30, 2018 05:49PM) (new)

Melanie By a consensus of active discussion members, July will be a Catch-Up month (see discussion here starting at post 144: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...).

The group did not nominate/vote for books this month, but members are encouraged to during the month of July pick a book or two from the group book shelf that they haven’t yet read and have at it (find bookshelf here: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...).

Past discussions of all previous CLASSIC books can be found here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...
and MODERN-CLASSICS are here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group....
Please join in, re-start, re-invigorate, and/or add to any of these discussions.

message 2: by Zainab (last edited Jun 30, 2018 10:24PM) (new)

Zainab Al Lawati (zainaballawati) | 224 comments Thank you for posting the this =)

I would like to add that few of us have decided to catch up on One Hundred Years of Solitude together. So if anyone is interested, JOIN US :D

message 3: by Marianne (new)

Marianne | 7 comments I will read 1Q84 in July:-)

message 4: by Honore (new)

Honore | 175 comments I'm thinking I'll read Breakfast at Tiffany's

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan | 442 comments Thank you for making this thread for the announcement, Melanie!

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan | 442 comments And meant to add that my goal is to finish Night Circus this month! And hopefully also Astrophysics, I know it's so short it's just crazy I haven't finished it but I do appreciate the catch up month! I'm trying not to add more to my neverending TBR list for a little while till I read things I've already started lol.

message 7: by Lorie (new)

Lorie I've just joined this group and i'm so excited that Neverwhere is on the group bookshelf, because I started it months ago and put it down when school got in the way!!! perfect opportunity to get around to finishing it :)

message 8: by KP (new)

KP | 42 comments So you are in charge now? Do you have permission to runthe poll for August? I nominate war and peace for August.

message 9: by AJ (new)

AJ Timberlake (ajtimberlake) I think I will read(/listen to as an audiobook): Little Fires Everywhere, Ready Player One, A Man Called Ove, Neverwhere, The Kite Runner and/or The Book Thief. I am brand new to the group so I might be a bit over-eager but I am excited to get through some of these reads that I have been meaning to for a long time. I think a catch up month will be a good thing for me.

message 10: by John (new)

John | 548 comments Super happy for this month. Still finishing 1Q84! Man this thing is dragging out. I will get a couple of others also.

message 11: by Ami (new)

Ami (amiray) | 14 comments I just finished reading The Book Thief and Ready Player One! I also just started The Hate U Give.

message 12: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy eckert I'm currently reading The Book Thief, and will hop onto Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine next to catch up on a June Read.

The catch up list just seems to keep growing for me ;)

message 13: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Keck I’m going to read The Bell Jar for catch-up month. I read in high school, but I’m interested to see how it reads now that I’m almost 31.

message 14: by Melanie (new)

Melanie No, I am not a moderator. Only Kasey is, and only she can set up polls. I posted the announcement so that members new and old were not confused. If you need to know more, follow the discussion thread posted in the announcement.

message 15: by Marcos (new)

Marcos Kopschitz | 1766 comments Yes, Melanie, good idea to post this. Not everyone would find that discussion in "General Questions", especially new members. :-)

message 16: by Megan (new)

Megan | 402 comments I'm totally on board for a catch up month! I finally got Astrophysics for People in a Hurry (long hold) and looking forward to reading A Hundred Years of Solitude with the official-unofficial group 😉

message 17: by Erin (new)

Erin I'll be reading And Then There Were None & Wuthering Heights

message 18: by Ulla (new)

Ulla Gomez | 32 comments I may read The Book Thief, missed out on that one.

What is with Kasey? She is kind of missing around here lately.

message 19: by Allegra (new)

Allegra | 250 comments I'm just making June into Junely. I waited so long for Eleanor, was lazy about Bell Jar, and 1984 is a re-read anyway. This is great for me

message 20: by Lea (new)

Lea (leaspot) | 135 comments I love this idea also! I also have been waiting awhile for several of these books, so it will be nice for me to have a little more time with them.

message 21: by Nell (new)

Nell | 435 comments I'm relieved to know that I'm not the only one who needs to catch-up reading with the Catch-up Book Club!!

message 22: by Marcos (new)

Marcos Kopschitz | 1766 comments Lots of catch-uppers, actually! :-D

message 23: by Satrina (last edited Jul 05, 2018 06:50AM) (new)

Satrina T | 353 comments Another one here!

I'll read A Tale of Two Cities and I'll try to squeeze in Astrophysics for People in a Hurry and Wuthering Heights

message 24: by Kyra (new)

Kyra Keeton | 258 comments I’ve actually been reading Treasure Island the past month, so I’ll be finishing that first. But I’m planning on reading The Jungle Book and Ready Place One...if anyone needs catching up on those.

message 25: by Linda (new)

Linda I'm reading Black Beauty

message 26: by Kerri (new)

Kerri | 702 comments I picked up A Clockwork Orange from the library the other day. Eleanor Oliphant and A Wrinkle in Time both have hundreds of holds so I'm pretty sure they are out for this month unless my mom's copy of Wrinkle comes back to her and I am able to borrow it next, or my small library has fewer holds on it now; I haven't been able to check it in awhile.

But I somehow missed Jungle Book on the bookshelf! I'll join you in that one if I can, Kyra! I've been wanting to read that for years and years.

message 27: by Jeri (new)

Jeri (jerireads) | 7 comments Will we be starting August nominations during July Catch-up, or is everything on hold until August, thus restart with September nominations?

message 28: by Marcos (new)

Marcos Kopschitz | 1766 comments That has not yet been established, Jeri.

We're giving our moderator, Kasey, some time, so that things can be reorganized, and when we resume the usual schedule there will certainly be an announcement.

message 29: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) I am enjoying the catchup month. I am still working on IQ84. It looks like it may be the only one I get to read. I am loving it but spending to much time on the boat to write decent posts.

message 30: by Gaye-lynn (new)

Gaye-lynn Allen I definitely needed a catch-up month! Do we know when Kasey is coming back? Hope everything is OK with her.

message 31: by Miriam (new)

Miriam I definitely need to finish 1Q84! Thank goodness for the catch up month.

message 32: by Marcos (new)

Marcos Kopschitz | 1766 comments Gaye-lynn wrote: "Do we know when Kasey is coming back? Hope everything is OK with her."

Not exactly yet, Gaye-lynn. She was back for a moment, let us know she was around and said she'd be back again.

In the meanwhile, we're just letting her have some time. And having fun with our "breather", catch-up month. :-)

message 33: by Gaye-lynn (new)

Gaye-lynn Allen Thanks, Marcos

message 34: by Linda (new)

Linda Thanks for this~I must have missed earlier posts, I had no idea? I wondered where the voting for July went but I am reading two on my "to read" list. Please keep us posted.

We're giving our moderator, Kasey, some time, so that things can be reorganized, and when we resume the usual schedule there will certainly be an announcem..."

message 35: by Kyra (new)

Kyra Keeton | 258 comments Of course, Kerri. The more the merrier, I was hoping some more would join 😊

message 36: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 431 comments Satrina wrote: "Another one here!

I'll read A Tale of Two Cities and I'll try to squeeze in Astrophysics for People in a Hurry and Wuthering Heights"

You have inspired me! I’ve decided to try Wuthering Heights again. I gave up on it once before, but aim to read it this time.

message 37: by Pye (new)

Pye (helenduvall) | 30 comments I'm working on Little Fires Everywhere now and I will read A Wrinkle in Time later this month for this and another book club.

message 38: by Kay (new)

Kay | 4 comments New member here, and I'm already reading Little Fires Everywhere. :)

message 39: by Roaa (new)

Roaa (roaaexe) During this past semester I didn't have time to read a lot and I missed out on many books, so this Catch-Up july is exactly what I needed. I already started another book but I will be reading Little Fires Everywhere, and maybe if I finish one early I'll read 1Q84 as well.

message 40: by Calypsa (new)

Calypsa | 14 comments I'm a new member too. It's just funny in the last year I read at least 4 or 5 of the books on the group list. I plan on starting up at 0 anyway and build up with the ones I never read, or haven't read in forever. I'll be happy to start over the Hitchhiker's Guide and to read Murakami for the first time.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) I hope everything is ok. Goodreads is littered with dead groups where all meaningful activity seemed to have stopped all of a sudden, like internet ghost towns. It's actually getting hard to find a good active group these days. I hope things come back together here - we have a nice group of active participants and a catchy, interesting theme.

message 42: by NancyJ (last edited Jul 13, 2018 10:57PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Several of us are reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, which is a truly wonderful classic. Also A Prayer for Owen Meany, which is also on the Great American Read list. There are active discussions on both books.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 43: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Randy wrote: "I hope everything is ok. Goodreads is littered with dead groups where all meaningful activity seemed to have stopped all of a sudden, like internet ghost towns. It's actually getting hard to find a..."

Yes, it's very sad to see.

message 44: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 431 comments Success! I finished reading Wuthering Heights, the challenge I set myself for this month (see Message 36).

message 45: by Marianne (new)

Marianne | 7 comments I finished reading 1Q84 and loved it :-) I have written a comment about the book in the 1Q84 tread.

message 46: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Trisha wrote: "Success! I finished reading Wuthering Heights, the challenge I set myself for this month (see Message 36)."

Congratulations! A lot of people find it difficult at the beginning (due to the characters I think). What did you think of it?

message 47: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) Vilette. I took a break and read Vilette. I then had the most amazing discussion with a well known Bronte scholar. Her knowledge of the Bronte's gave me so much incite into the book.

I was a little frustrated with the group attendance. We only had 30 show of the 65 who had responded.

message 48: by Krysta (new)

Krysta I read Wuthering Heights and I have to say I prefer Jane Eyre. Though the story was good and interesting it was a little melodramatic (more so than most Gothic Literature) and I hated Heathcliffe.

message 49: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 431 comments I agree with Krysta, I much prefer Jane Eyre. I didn’t just find Wuthering Heights difficult at the beginning, Nancy - I struggled all the way through! I detested Heathcliffe but didn’t care about any of the other characters either, so wasn’t bothered what happened to them. I found the parts written in Yorkshire dialect unintelligible - I never understand why some authors try to write in a dialect at all. I was determined to read the book so wouldn’t give up, but was very glad when it ended!

message 50: by Krysta (new)

Krysta Trisha wrote: "I agree with Krysta, I much prefer Jane Eyre. I didn’t just find Wuthering Heights difficult at the beginning, Nancy - I struggled all the way through! I detested Heathcliffe but didn’t care about ..."

I agree, I didn't really like any of the characters but especially Heathcliff. There are so many people who put him up on a romantic character pedestal but I don't see it.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.