Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Barry's June 18 reads

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3138 comments The Country I Lived In: Boston Terran
Theimpat of this book crept up on me. The setting is pretty much mexico a few years after WW2 and before VietNam. The characters know the US of WW2 when the United States was the hero of the world. Pot war though,things began to change. The agenda of the US became much more of building a world to be dominated while convincing ourselves what was good for America was good for the world. Taking the short view from this story, I saw it as a prelude to the America of Richard Nixon. Taking a longer view, maybe a prelude to where we find ourselves today. All of this in a thriller. (A)

The Outsider: Stephen King
King once again excels at showing us the world just past the edge of believable. Here we have murders committed by people who have unassailable alibis. Something else must be happening, but can you believe it is? (A-)

Bum Rap: Paul Levine
Lassiter the lawyer is suffering from brain damage back in his college days. Still, he signs a deal with the devil to prosecute a murder, with none other than Solomon and Lordon the Defense. Is this a great set up for a farce? You bet it is. (B+)

The Helios Conspiracy: Jim DeFelice
FBI thriller with a appropriately wise mouthed agent, murders, and rocket mishaps. (B+)

The First Commandment: Brad Thor
Terrorists bent on revenge, and only one person can stop them. (B)

The Tourist: Robert Dickenson
Sort of Sci-Fi, a tourist industry built on time travel, but some embedded mysteries to keep it interesting.(B)

I Sniper: Stephen Hunter
A thinly veiled slap at Jane Fonda and Ted Turner, as one is shot, the other meddles in the investigation. Swagger, the sniper, gets involved when he believes a former sniper is unfairly blamed for the murder. (B)

White Russian: JA Konrath
Jack Daniels has had herself declared dead and gone into hiding, but an old case brings her back. (B)

Moscow Offensive: Dale Brown
Glad to see some of his overt politicking missing from this book,more in the vein of military thriller with Russia causing mischief all over the world. Asalways, technology reins. (B)

The Pharaoh's Secret: “Cussler”
Yet another plot to take over the world by controlling the supply of fresh water. (B)

Leaving Berlin: Joseph Kanon
Complex novel of Berlin during the time of the airlift. You’ll have your spies, your intrigue, your murders, all set in a city still recovering from the destruction of the second world war. (B-)

A Vision of Fire: Gillian Anderson
Yeah, from the X Files, so thistle has is hints of supernatural on both a personal and global scale. India and Pakistan are on the verge of war as certain individuals lapse into a deep fugue. One psychologist can feel it happening, and sees herself as the solution. Ech solution seems to spawn new problems though. (How else do you get sequels?) (B-)

message 2: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3138 comments Auto train to Florida, plenty of time to read.

message 3: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3651 comments Good month! I have The Outsider and hope to get to it this month!

message 4: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3839 comments Barry wrote: "Auto train to Florida, plenty of time to read."

lol. another good month for you.

message 5: by Ann (last edited Jul 01, 2018 10:48PM) (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15088 comments Nice list Barry! I also enjoyed The Outsider. Can you believe it? .... I was willing to go along. ;)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Outsider (other topics)