Books & Boba discussion

Monthly Pick > July 2018: A Tale for the Time Being

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Reera, Bookmaster (new)

Reera | 272 comments Mod
We are finally reading A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki! This book has been no. 1 on our Books & Boba's Suggested Reading Listopia since its inception.

I'm very excited to read this book because I bought it years ago and it's been collecting dust on my bookshelf ever since then. Apparently, there is some form of time travel in this novel. I've been told that the book falls under the magical realism genre.

As always, we strongly encourage folks to share their thoughts and comments here in the Goodoreads forums. You're also welcome to tag us on Twitter and send us questions or comments. :)

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 111 comments YEEESSSS!!! I love this book! I can’t wait to read it again!

message 3: by Nicola (new)

Nicola  (violetsugarheart) | 17 comments Ooooh I've wanted to read this for ages, hopefully I can find the time to do so this month

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 111 comments I finished reading the book - or rather, re-reading it. I just looked over my initial review I had done about it when I first read it back in 2014. Let's just say that the first time around, I was a naive audience for it; especially with regards to how the lines between fiction and reality blurred with Ruth and Oliver as characters.

I went into reading it this time around with a better understanding of the elements this novel is composed of, and I must say that I'm glad I waited this long before reading it again, for there were some parts that I had completely forgotten about.

The book felt more introspective this time around, as I took in the magical realism, quantum physics, and Oliver's out-of-this-world hypotheses in strive. The philosophy about time beings felt deeper than before, and I felt a weight to it that I can only identify as the awareness of one's own mortality.

Maybe it's because of my own struggles as a writer that I was able to relate to Ruth more; as opposed to back in 2014 when I had only one book under my belt. Perhaps it's because I've gotten older that I feel the need to protect Nao when she is being bullied by the other kids at her school.

(Meanwhile, I cannot help but compare Ruth and Oliver's quirky community members to that of the cast of like minded characters in the 90's show, "Northern Exposure." I can't believe I overlooked that before!)

It was just as engaging of a read a second time around. I await to hear everyone else's thoughts; especially from those who read it for the first time.

message 5: by Julie (new)

Julie (3x5books) | 30 comments Like Reera, I listened to this one on audiobook. I liked it.

It’s interesting how the book feels like it’s keeping you at arm’s length. Both stories are like diary entries (it’s really tempting to read the Ruth portions as a veiled record/impression of Ozeki’s life on Cortes Island).

The blending of Zen Buddhism with quantum theory was also neat (“Up, down, same thing” vs. the multiple uses of Schrödinger’s cat and smearing). I get that placing Nao in the path of something deadly and (view spoiler)

The Yasutani family story is really compelling.