What is Life without books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive 2019 > Do You Have Something Worse?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 971 comments Mod
Okay I'm starting this thread because there are mutant bugs in Tennessee. I honestly can't deal with some of them. I'm going to start the game with this thing I find in bathroom sometimes in the summer. See if you can come up with something worse.

message 2: by Patricia (new)

Have you ever seen a camel back cricket? These are NOTHING like cute Jimmeny Cricket. I find them in my bathroom once in a while. I've thought about closing the door and using the one at the gas station down the street so I don't have to deal with it.

The pictures online don't do this disgusting thing any justice. The back legs on them are a good four inches long when straight. You CAN HEAR THEM HOP!!! Unlike crickets I'm familiar with they can hop in any direction including sidways and backwards.

I just had to kill one. My method is to fling the phonebook at it and pray I don't miss. If you miss there's no telling where it will hop next.

They absolutely freak me out. To the point I'm thinking about moving somewhere without them.

Nope they can't hurt or bite you but I don't care because they are big freaky mutants!

Have you got something worse where you are?

message 3: by Karin (new)

Karin Where I grew up we have giant spiders that will go in the house. They don't build webs and are about 2 inches long including legs (sometimes longer.) I cannot find them online. We called them by the wrong name, wolf spiders, but wolf spiders are smaller. They are not harvestmen (daddy long legs are and aren't actually spiders). They are not delicate nor do they build webs.

message 4: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Walker | 20 comments We have great big wolf spiders that like to hang out in the downstairs bathroom. There's usually one in there every morning. I go in for my shower, and there's Shelob on the wall! I have a phobia when it comes to spiders; luckily, my husband deals with them for me, or I'd never get a shower!

message 5: by Patricia (new)

I was stationed in Puerto Rico where there are tarantulas and even worse banana spiders. Banana spiders are hairy like tarantulas but get to be the size of dinner plates. They bothered me but nothing like these freaky crickets.

I don't know why they bother me so much but I think it's because they're big and I have no idea which direction they'll decide to hop. I forgot to mention they have toes like a frog too. Uck!!!!!!!! Because of the way the back legs bend they resemble spiders. They are the most disgusting things I've ever seen.

I just cleaned my bathroom today. I don't know how they get in but they do. Now my clean bathroom floor has squished cricket on it so I have to mop it again before I take a shower.

The worst was when I got up one night in the dark, went into the bathroom, turned on the light and one was hanging out on the wall by the toilet.

message 6: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Walker | 20 comments I just googled camel back crickets. I'm so glad I don't have to encounter these in the bathroom! It's the way they hop. Freaky.

message 7: by Patricia (new)

Thank you Sylvia. They have to be one of the worst things on the planet. You can actually HEAR them hop. Did you see the feet on them? So far throwing the phonebook at them has been successful. If I ever miss one I might just move out and leave everything behind because I won't live with it.

The first time I saw one I tried to hit it with a shoe in my hand. When the thing jumped directly to the left I freaked out. Next I tried spraying one with bathroom cleaner. It had no affect on it. For some reason throwing the phonebook at it from a distance doesn't seem to register with them. They just sit there until it takes them out.

Karen  ⚜Mess⚜ Potato bug [Jerusalem cricket] . Ick
Pester them enough and they'll scream like a boiling lobster.

I used to have a cat that loved to bring them in the house and drop them off at my feet.

message 9: by Patricia (new)

I just googled potato cricket. They're pretty gross.

I think I'd be able to step on one if I had shoes on.

Camel back crickets are too big for me to think about stepping on. I'd never be able to either because they are fast and can go in any direction.

Instead of getting use to them when I see one I just keep getting more freaked out. It's become a real phobia at this point.

message 10: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Bowman | 17 comments We occasionally have scorpions, I hate them! We just order up some wondercide, it smells good and is all natural, and gets rid of all bad bugs! https://www.wondercide.com/

message 11: by Patricia (new)

Yup scorpions would freak me out as much as these camel crickets. I feel like a whimp because the crickets don't bite but they are so gross and the hopping is insane.

message 12: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Bowman | 17 comments I think I want to stick with the regular old crickets we have here in East Texas, those crickets would creep me out too. Ours, I just pick up and put in the garden, if I find them before the cats do. The sound they make drives my husband crazy but I think its kind of soothing.

message 13: by Alex (new)

Alex Hill | 5 comments We have chavs.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.