The Not a Book Club Club discussion

Age of War (The Legends of the First Empire, #3)
This topic is about Age of War
Michael J. Sullivan > AoW: First Impressions (No Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6374 comments Mod
Who plans to read this? I'm about to finish my book a bit earlier than I'd like. So I need to fill like 5-6 hours before this comes out.

It's possible I'll start a day or so late depending on what I do to fill that time.

Suzanne | 1582 comments I'm planning on it (of course).

message 3: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 5 stars

I should rename it the Suzanne and Rob club..

Suzanne | 1582 comments Lol I was thinking about that when I typed the above. You just read a lot of good books! The funniest was The Poppy War - which I had no idea you were reading but ended up reading at almost the exact same time.

message 5: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 5 stars

Thanks, although I'm not reading/haven't read Poppy War.

I'm just hoping we get some more people though. Everyone else seems to have disappeared from the discussions. It doesn't make much sense to keep having a group for just the two of us to discuss books.

Suzanne | 1582 comments This one in theory should draw some people in - I think quite a few of us have been reading the series?

Suzanne | 1582 comments Oh - I figured it out - it was Jade City - not Poppy War.

message 8: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 5 stars

Suzanne wrote: "Oh - I figured it out - it was Jade City - not Poppy War."

Ah, yeah. The timing is probably due to either Dara or the daily deal.

It was a good one!

And hopefully you're right about this one. I guess we'll see. It's the last one on the schedule.

message 9: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat | 1177 comments I haven't read the previous ones yet, but I don't want to be left out of your club!

Suzanne | 1582 comments Never! And I think we had several reading the last Uthred book I seem to remember. And the last Magic 2.0 book. It always seems like a struggle to get people to discuss books online - and I'm quite an offender, especially in other groups :/

message 11: by Ctgt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ctgt | 629 comments I still haven't read AoS so I won't be getting to it anytime soon. Finishing a Vorkosigan book and have Golden Fool next before I have an opening in the schedule for AoS then I can think about AoW.

Suzanne | 1582 comments I felt like it was an easy transition back into the story (Chapter 1). (view spoiler)

message 13: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yeah. I liked that scene from your spoiler too.

I also agree about the easy transition. I had mostly forgotten what was going on, but I felt like I was caught back up pretty quickly in the first chapter or so.

message 14: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) Not related to the book but Sullivan is doing an AMA today on /r/fantasy if anyone is interested (I'm sure he's pop in here an answer questions but still):

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comm...

message 15: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 5 stars

Thanks Dara

Suzanne | 1582 comments I didn't see a finished reading/spoiler thread - well and I'm not at all finished - about 40% in. Anyway......I think I'm liking this more than the last book, because although the invention stuff was interesting, and kind of funny, it kind of bugged me too.

Now specific spoilers (view spoiler)

message 17: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 5 stars

Crap. I forgot to make another thread. I made one now: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Geoff (geoffgreer) I'm also reading this book. I'll try to put a few comments in the discussion thread. I just don't take the time to read/contribute as much right now. Still reading though.

message 19: by Jon (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jon Auerbach | 6 comments I'm at chapter 5. I loved the opening line:

(view spoiler)

Suzanne | 1582 comments Great quote Jon. I love Suri - did from the moment we met her in book 1!

message 21: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (new) - rated it 5 stars

Suri's easily my favorite character. That was a good line.

message 22: by Jon (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jon Auerbach | 6 comments She's fantastic. Maybe people figured this out a few books ago, but I just thought of this today, (view spoiler)

Suzanne | 1582 comments Oh nope Jon - I had NOT put that together - I guess I don't remember Riyria clearly enough. So I'm glad you said something :) Thats cool

message 24: by Rob, Mayor of Ghost Town (last edited Jul 16, 2018 04:13PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jon wrote: "She's fantastic. Maybe people figured this out a few books ago, but I just thought of this today, [spoilers removed]"

Interesting theory Jon, but please use the spoiler thread for spoilers: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...