The Great American Read discussion

Old Posts 2018 > GAR BOOK DEALS

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 1835 comments Mod
If you notice a great price on a GAR book (book, kindle, audio, etc.) on amazon or anywhere else, please post it here to let us know.

Today I got War and Peace for $ 0.49 - Kindle, Amazon.

message 2: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Jul 05, 2018 12:21AM) (new)

The Clan of the Cave Bear - Kindle 2.99 July 5
The Martian Kindle 2.99 July 5
Outlander 3.99

FREE July 5
Count of monte cristo
Call of the wild ($3.00 paperback)
Heart of darkness ($3.00 paperback)

message 3: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellamc) | 300 comments Thanks, Nancy. I got myself a free copy of the Count of Monte Cristo & picked up The Clan of the Cave Bear while I was at it.

message 4: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie NancyJ wrote: "If you notice a great price on a GAR book (book, kindle, audio, etc.) on amazon or anywhere else, please post it here to let us know.

Today I got War and Peace for $ 0.49 - Kindle, Amazon."

thanks. Just snagged it (up to 99 cents now but still great.)

message 5: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie NancyJ wrote: "The Clan of the Cave Bear - Kindle 2.99 July 5
Outlander 3.99

FREE July 5
Count of monte cristo
Call of the wild ($3.00 paperback)
He..."

Just got Clan of the Cave Bear too. Sale says 1 more day. I looked at a used bookstore today and they didn't have it, so I'm happy. Plus it's a very heavy book.

message 6: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Bonnie wrote: "NancyJ wrote: "The Clan of the Cave Bear - Kindle 2.99 July 5
Outlander 3.99

FREE July 5
Count of monte cristo
Call of the wild ($3.0..."

I bought the Audible version on sale a while back. Would love to do a buddy read sometime.

message 7: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Kirsten wrote: "Bonnie wrote: "NancyJ wrote: "The Clan of the Cave Bear - Kindle 2.99 July 5
Outlander 3.99

FREE July 5
Count of monte cristo
Call of..."

buddy read...
On which book?

message 8: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie We were actually talking about War and Peace- but not for awhile- maybe mid to late August.

message 9: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Jul 25, 2018 09:42PM) (new)

I just bought a Pride and Prejudice kindle FREE, Plus audible version for only $.99. I saw it earlier, but when I searched for it later all the kindles were more expensive, I finally found it. Try this link if you want it.

https://www.amazon.com/Pride-Prejudic...

Plus I saw a note about FREE audible streaming as a Prime Channel benefit, but I couldn't find it on Audible.

message 10: by Joy, Your Obedient Servant (last edited Jul 26, 2018 03:50AM) (new)

Joy (jammons42) | 510 comments Mod
Siddhartha is free on Kindle today.

https://www.amazon.com/Siddhartha-Wis...

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

NancyJ wrote: "I just bought a Pride and Prejudice kindle FREE, Plus audible version for only $.99. I saw it earlier, but when I searched for it later all the kindles were more expensive, I finally found it. Try ..."

It's also free on http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/37431

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

J. wrote: "Siddhartha is free on Kindle today.

https://www.amazon.com/Siddhartha-Wis......"

it's also free on http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2500

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Bonnie wrote: "We were actually talking about War and Peace- but not for awhile- maybe mid to late August."

also free on http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2600

message 14: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) NancyJ wrote: "Kirsten wrote: "Bonnie wrote: "NancyJ wrote: "The Clan of the Cave Bear - Kindle 2.99 July 5
Outlander 3.99

FREE July 5
Count of mont..."

I was thinking of Clan of the Cave Bear.

message 15: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 68 comments NancyJ wrote: "I just bought a Pride and Prejudice kindle FREE, Plus audible version for only $.99. I saw it earlier, but when I searched for it later all the kindles were more expensive, I finally found it. Try ..."

Hi Nancy - to get to the free Prime books on Audible Channels, go on the audible app and at the top right click on the three lines and one choice will be channels then in channels scroll down past all their featured stuff and then there's a list of things to choose from . One is "Audiobook Collections" P&P is under "Celebrity Voices"

The only one I've listened to is Alice's Adventures in Wonderland read by Scarlet Johannson and it is fabulous!

You can't download the books (like you can short stories and podcasts) so you have to use data if in the car. That's why I haven't done many but Alice is under 3 hours so I listened to it at home while cleaning.

Other's from the GAR list on Channels

Tom Sawyer read by Nick Offerman (8 hrs)
Heart of Darkness read by Kenneth Branaugh (4 hrs)

There are a lot of other good ones but they aren't on the GAR list

message 16: by Kim (new)

Kim (skullfullofbooks) For anyone who doesn't mind downloading and side-loading their ebooks, Project Gutenberg has many classics and books which are public domain available for free. I think all of the "classic" classics are available on PG. Sometimes the formatting is lacking in the ebooks since they aren't full blown kindle formatted books, but personally I'm not picky if it's free.

https://www.gutenberg.org/

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I love gutenberg! I use it all the time, it's the first place I search for older books that are beyond copywrite dates.

message 18: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Sue wrote: "NancyJ wrote: "I just bought a Pride and Prejudice kindle FREE, Plus audible version for only $.99. I saw it earlier, but when I searched for it later all the kindles were more expensive, I finally..."

Thanks Sue! That sounds great. We'd had some problems using audible on trips, (it might be a phone problem), but this sounds exciting.

Tom Sawyer + Nick Offerman? That makes me laugh already. If he's the one I'm thinking of (works with Amy Poehler a lot, maybe SNL), I'm having a hard time imagining his voice in the deep south, on the Mississippi river, but I'll check it out. Tom Sawyer might be good for December. Funny, light, short, etc.

I love Scarlet Johannsons's voice too.

message 19: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Kirsten wrote: "NancyJ wrote: "Kirsten wrote: "Bonnie wrote: "NancyJ wrote: "The Clan of the Cave Bear - Kindle 2.99 July 5
Outlander 3.99

FREE July ..."

: }

message 20: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Aug 01, 2018 07:55PM) (new)

Kim wrote: "For anyone who doesn't mind downloading and side-loading their ebooks, Project Gutenberg has many classics and books which are public domain available for free. I think all of the "classic" classic..."

Thanks Kim. Free is very good! Can you still adjust the font size to make the letters bigger? That's the main reason I need ebooks nowadays.

Oh, and what is sideloading?

message 21: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Karen wrote: "I love gutenberg! I use it all the time, it's the first place I search for older books that are beyond copywrite dates."

My rl book club picked a book with only 2 copies in our entire county, so I should check this out.

Thanks!

message 22: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Kirsten wrote: "Bonnie wrote: "NancyJ wrote: "The Clan of the Cave Bear - Kindle 2.99 July 5
Outlander 3.99

FREE July 5
Count of monte cristo
Call of..."

I can't seem to figure out how to message you Kristen, but I posted a buddy read for War and Peace to start the 12th and asked for suggestions on how long to spread it out. I do plan on reading another book too along with (or a few easier ones) so want to do a not too strenuous schedule.

message 23: by Kim (new)

Kim (skullfullofbooks) NancyJ, I just tried with a copy of Black Beauty from Gutenberg and was able to change the formatting on it with my Kindle. As long as you don't download a PDF version you should hopefully be able to change the formatting.

Side-loading is the process of downloading the ebook to your computer and then loading it onto your Kindle or E-reader as a file. I personally haven't figured out how to access the side-loaded content on my Kindle App, but can read it on my actual kindle device, so there is a downside if you're using the app.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I use Overdrive

https://app.overdrive.com

message 25: by Joy, Your Obedient Servant (last edited Aug 02, 2018 05:50PM) (new)

Karen wrote: "I use Overdrive

https://app.overdrive.com"

I use that as well to check out ebooks from my local library! The Libby app is pretty easy to use.

message 26: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie I was wondering if their is any benefit to adding the Libby app if you already borrow from the library (kindle and audible) from overdrive. Are they different books? Shorter wait lists?

message 27: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Bonnie wrote: "I was wondering if their is any benefit to adding the Libby app if you already borrow from the library (kindle and audible) from overdrive. Are they different books? Shorter wait lists?"

I think the idea is - I may be wrong - if you belong to more than one library. I haven't done it because I only belong to one. But maybe I'd join more if I got some of THEIR benefits. I heard of one person's library Overdrive site let you check out FILMS!!

message 28: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Kirsten wrote: "Bonnie wrote: "I was wondering if their is any benefit to adding the Libby app if you already borrow from the library (kindle and audible) from overdrive. Are they different books? Shorter wait lis..."

I do belong to two, so maybe worth it. I belong to 2 because they won't put the newest popular books on hold if your libraries don't have them because of the long wait lists I think.

message 29: by Joy, Your Obedient Servant (new)

I belong to two and it syncs the shelves into one. I find it to be a smoother experience then just the overdrive site itself.

message 30: by Kim (new)

Kim (skullfullofbooks) I think Libby is geared towards mobile users. I was confused as to why Overdrive was pushing Libby, when they made both, and the only thing I could find was complaints that Libby was having issues with a drive mode (so you can't access your phone while driving, just the play screen) and that it might not have computer compatibility. I even downloaded it, and aside from looking different and being a little more user friendly if you've never used Overdrive, it didn't seem different.

message 31: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

J. wrote: "I belong to two and it syncs the shelves into one. I find it to be a smoother experience then just the overdrive site itself."

How do you belong to two libraries? In my community there are 30 or so branches of the City/County library system, and you cannot join unless you live in the county. College/school library?

message 32: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie NancyJ wrote: "J. wrote: "I belong to two and it syncs the shelves into one. I find it to be a smoother experience then just the overdrive site itself."

How do you belong to two libraries? In my community there ..."

Ours doesn't have that rule luckily. I live in King so the King library was the first I joined and am even a friend of the library, but it's small and not a lot of new books, so I also joined the county below us (not far since we live on the bottom.) Then they got the online system wide loan and hold options, but the new books/bestsellers they may not pull from other cities/towns in their system. So I have 2 card, 2 memberships. It only gets tricky when I check out on the wrong key card.

message 33: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Bonnie wrote: "NancyJ wrote: "J. wrote: "I belong to two and it syncs the shelves into one. I find it to be a smoother experience then just the overdrive site itself."

How do you belong to two libraries? In my c..."

That's handy. We moved closer to my old college and I should check to see if I can get alumni privileges there. They might not have much fiction though.

message 34: by Parker (new)

Parker | 204 comments I also belong to two libraries: my county library, which has statewide lending privileges through SC Lends, and the Charleston County Library. We pay $40 a year for privileges at the latter, but it's well worth it, as they have books that the others don't, and vice versa.

message 35: by Joy, Your Obedient Servant (new)

NancyJ wrote: "J. wrote: "I belong to two and it syncs the shelves into one. I find it to be a smoother experience then just the overdrive site itself."

How do you belong to two libraries? In my community there ..."

I belong to the county library where I live and am still a member of my small hometown library.

When I was a kid, I was also able to join the library where my grandparents lived for something like $10/year so I could borrow books when I'd visit in the summer. Most of the public libraries I've been associated with have an option similar to that.

message 36: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Aug 20, 2018 08:54PM) (new)

When I got on the University website to see if I could get privileges, I saw that they have a program that allows people 60 and older to audit courses for free. (I just turned 60.)

I never took a literature course in college, and I always wondered what I missed. Did you all take literature courses in college?

Today I looked at the schedule to see what's being offered. There are quite a few, including world literature and sex/gender in literature! There is a great classic film course too (it's open to the public). My husband won't be surprised that I'm considering this. In all my life, I haven't gone more than 4 years without taking courses or teaching courses. (One year I taught grad classes at one college, while taking PhD classes at another.)

message 37: by Linda (new)

Linda  | 915 comments NancyJ wrote: "When I got on the University website to see if I could get privileges, I saw that they have a program that allows people 60 and older to audit courses for free. (I just turned 60.)

I never took a..."

Lol, because those groceries weren't going to pay for themselves! My advisor got mad at me for taking a full-time job as I finished writing, but I just couldn't afford the luxury of not working. (and that's how I made it through undergrad, Master's and PhD coursework with no loans and very little help from my mom, for the first year of college).
How exciting! And if you're taking a class there, remember that the library could probably ILL that book for you quite quickly. I find that the ILL system here is faster than UW-Madison was, by far--I usually have things in a couple of days. And I also get to keep many of them for the whole semester, depending on which university loaned it.
If I were you, and had trouble deciding, I would check to see if any of those courses have their syllabus posted online. That way, you don't sign up for a course on things you've already read! The film course could be something fun for the two of you to do together!