UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

General Chat - anything Goes > Stephen Baxter - what recommendations?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments I want to read a Stephen Baxter book. Googling around it seems that his books are a bit like marmite.

What suggestions has anyone got?

message 2: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Have one on toast?

message 3: by J.R. (new)

J.R. Barker | 69 comments The only ones I know of are The Long Earth ones with Terry Pratchett, but I didn't think much to them.

Marmite is also yukky.

message 4: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments It's a delight! Especially on a soldier to be dipped in a soft-boiled egg... excuse me, I feel a bit funny.

message 5: by David (new)

David Hadley | 4873 comments I've read Flood Flood (Flood, #1) by Stephen Baxter which was all right, if a bit of a climate-change disaster bandwagon jumper.

Sort of 'we're all going to die... of over-excessive moistness!'

I've read another one too... er... Anti-ice by Stephen Baxter which I can't remember anything about.

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim | 21832 comments Kath wrote: "It's a delight! Especially on a soldier to be dipped in a soft-boiled egg... excuse me, I feel a bit funny."

I cannot eat eggs, but Marmite on toast with butter, when the toast is hot, is great

message 7: by J.R. (new)

J.R. Barker | 69 comments Marmite is just wrong. The only way marmite should be allowed to exist is in the form of twiglets which, for some reason, takes all the evil out of the taste.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Marmite in all forms is the food of Satan.

Moistness. Love that word.

message 9: by Richard (new)

Richard Martinus | 646 comments Only read one of Baxter's: The Time Ships The Time Ships by Stephen Baxter , his sequel to Wells' Time Machine. Zon reviews neatly illustrate the author's Marmite flavouring. I liked it well enough, particularly the steampunkish parts (e.g. a concrete dome over London to foil Zeppelin attacks) and his rehabilitation of the Morlochs, but it was way too long.

message 10: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments J.R. wrote: "Marmite is just wrong. The only way marmite should be allowed to exist is in the form of twiglets which, for some reason, takes all the evil out of the taste."

Twiglets are just nasty.

message 11: by J.R. (last edited Aug 03, 2014 09:02AM) (new)

J.R. Barker | 69 comments Nahah.

Twiglets are the result of culinary evolution, marmite is the primordial ooze.

message 12: by J.R. (new)

J.R. Barker | 69 comments I thought I might have taken to reading Stephen Baxter, but after all the talk of marmite, and the fact that none of you lot seem overly enamoured, I think I'll pass.

message 13: by Richard (new)

Richard Martinus | 646 comments To be fair, I don't think Marmite looms large in all his works, although I admit I'm extrapolating from a small sample.

message 14: by J.R. (new)

J.R. Barker | 69 comments You never know, there could be a whole marmite saga.

message 15: by Richard (new)

Richard Martinus | 646 comments Naw - if anything, he'll have spread it thinly.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Richard wrote: "Naw - if anything, he'll have spread it thinly."

Groan

message 17: by J.R. (new)

J.R. Barker | 69 comments I think the marmite analogy is now toast.