Great American Read List discussion

Sunny
This topic is about Sunny
Book Series > August 12 - 31, 2018—SUNNY—Jason Reynolds (Track Series—Book 3 of 4)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Feb 14, 2019 09:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lavan Zerach | 498 comments Mod
Sunny is the third book in the series.

Sunny by Jason Reynolds

To everyone—I hope you'll participate and read this selection for our book club.
For those who do—share your thoughts as you read, please!

Spoilers are allowed; add a considerate warning if your comment includes any so members have the option to skip.

Feel free to begin reading it early, if you'd like, and start the discussion at your leisure.

message 2: by Andrew, moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Andrew (andyhuey) | 332 comments Mod
I finished reading this today. My review is here. A couple of minor takeaways:

1. You can read this series out of order, though reading Ghost first is a good idea.

2. I need to rent the movie Baraka now. (It's referenced in the book and sounds interesting.)

message 3: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Aug 01, 2018 01:03PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I enjoyed your review—thank you for sharing it!
I may have chuckled a bit at referring to yourself as a "cranky old man."

I'm curious if you rated Sunny one less star than Ghost because you weren't fond of the epistolary delivery, because of the content itself or another reason?

Baraka sounds fascinating! Let me know what you think of it, please.

message 4: by Andrew, moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Andrew (andyhuey) | 332 comments Mod
Lavan wrote: "I'm curious if you rated Sunny one less star than Ghost because you weren't fond of the epistolary delivery, because of the content itself or another reason?"

I guess mostly the "epistolary delivery". (Nice phrase!) Still, a really good book.

message 5: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Aug 01, 2018 01:03PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

(Haha, thanks!)
I'm glad that you think Sunny is really good. I'm eager to read Patina, but I'm patiently waiting for the group start date. I don't want to read ahead of members (but I don't mind if they read ahead, not at all). One more week and I'll dive into book 2 of the Track series ...

message 6: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Aug 21, 2018 09:20AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

My copy is 121 pages. I started reading Sunny yesterday. I'm on p. 97—at 80%.

[takes a steadying breath] This book has made me emotional. Seriously. When I first began reading it yesterday I didn't know what to think. I wasn't sure if I liked the epistolary style (dear diary entries) or the way in which Sunny constantly uses sounds to relate to his world. Then I read more. It happened gradually, the effect of this novel. I realized that I didn't mind Reynolds' uncommon format. In fact, it seemed to fit this story perfectly. I also realized that Sunny's auditory descriptions are not only brilliant, but beautiful. This story, while heartbreaking and deeply moving is exactly that—beautiful. I think I like it more than Ghost, which is surprising. I'll probably finish it tomorrow, so I'll know soon enough.

message 7: by Lavan, moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

I finished Sunny today. It's my favorite of the series (so far). I'm really looking forward to Lu now, and I'm wondering if that will be the final book or if there will be a 5ᵗʰ?

I've queued Reynolds' Long Way Down to read next year. It has a GoodReads rating of 4.39 and the overview is gripping!

Bridget | 275 comments Mod
I really enjoyed Sunny, I liked the style and the interpretations of sound and dance. I thought before you could read them out of order, but it's better in the order written. The characters build on each other.