Great American Read List discussion

Patina
This topic is about Patina
Book Series > July 22 - August 11, 2018—PATINA—Jason Reynolds (Track Series—Book 2 of 4)

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Feb 14, 2019 09:47PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lavan Zerach | 498 comments Mod
Patina is the second book in the series.

Patina by Jason Reynolds

To everyone—I hope you'll participate and read this selection for our book club.
For those who do—share your thoughts as you read, please!

Spoilers are allowed; add a considerate warning if your comment includes any so members have the option to skip.

Feel free to begin reading it early, if you'd like, and start the discussion at your leisure.

message 2: by Andrew, moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Andrew (andyhuey) | 332 comments Mod
I almost picked this up at the library yesterday, but skipped it. The computer said they had a copy, but it would have been in the children's section, and they were having some kind of event in there, with a whole bunch of kids, and I didn't want to try to wade into that. (Meanwhile, I'm still #4 on the wait list for the ebook version.)

message 3: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Jul 16, 2018 08:47AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Andrew wrote: "I almost picked this up at the library yesterday, but skipped it. The computer said they had a copy, but it would have been in the children's section, and they were having some kind of event in the..."

I chuckled at " ... I didn't want to try to wade into that."
I hope those ahead of you for the ebook read quickly!

message 4: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Jul 23, 2018 08:44PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I purchased the ebook for $10.99. It's 144 pages. I started reading it yesterday. I'm on p. 60—at 42%. If I continue at this pace I should finish it by Thursday, the 26ᵗʰ.
I'm enjoying Patina a great deal and I'm now wondering if Reynolds will write an adult fiction in the future, because I'm curious what it would be like. I hope he does.

Bethany | 123 comments Lavan, you should read some of Reynolds other YA novels. The Track series is aimed at a middle school audience, but his other books aim for high school, and the themes get more mature as a result. All-American Boys is a very well done novel, which inspired me to add several other books to my to read pile.

message 6: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Jul 25, 2018 05:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Thank you, Bethany! I hadn't realized that some of Reynolds' books were intended for an older age bracket. I thought they were all considered young adult. Is the Track series actually children's literature?
I just read the overview for All American Boys. It sounds intense.
Have you read Long Way Down? That novel sounds intriguing!

I'm on p. 125—at 87% of Patina. This book has gotten better and better as I've continued. I can't say if I like it as much as Ghost until I finish tomorrow, but I will say that Reynolds is an excellent storyteller. The prose is written at a level that is easy for its intended audience, yet the characters are deep and unforgettable. I felt connected to Ghost. I feel connected to Patina. I care about them. As a reader, I'm invested in their outcomes. Their family lives are completely different, their struggles unique to each and Reynolds presents these realities seamlessly with details that enrich the stories remarkably. These books made me feel, really feel, and I'm impressed with the brilliantly authentic way they are depicted.

Bethany | 123 comments Well, all of his books are considered Young Adult, but middle and high school can be very different.
I haven't read Long Way Down, but it is on my to read list. I just found Jason Reynolds this year. I try to keep up to date on new YA authors so I can recommend books to my students. I picked up Ghost originally because my students asked for more sports books. When I read it, I was struck by the great characters, just as you were. Ghost was the spitting image of a kid in my 6th block!
I'll be starting Sunny soon, but I've picked up a few others by him that I'll be reading throughout the year.

message 8: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Jul 28, 2018 08:34AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I always enjoy your comments Bethany, especially given your experience as a teacher!

I'll be starting Sunny August 12ᵗʰ. I'm glad you'll be reading it soon too, and look forward to your thoughts! Do you plan to read Lu after it's released October 23ʳᵈ? I think I'm going to queue it for a group read in December so that we'll have read the entire series together. Seems fitting.

I finished Patina this morning. I like Ghost more, but still gave Patina the same rating of 4 stars. Both are certainly worth reading, in my opinion, and assets to the young adult genre. I won't hesitate to recommend them to youngsters and adults who read YA.

Bethany | 123 comments If I can spare the cash, I'll read Lu. I've already spent waaaay too much on books for my classroom this year. I usually try to buy a physical copy of YA books, so after I read them, my students can enjoy them, too.

message 10: by Tasha (new)

Tasha That's awesome Bethany. I bet they appreciate it. I know my daughter totally would appreciate it.

message 11: by Lavan, moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bethany wrote: "If I can spare the cash, I'll read Lu. I've already spent waaaay too much on books for my classroom this year. I usually try to buy a physical copy of YA books, so after I read them, my students ca..."

That's thoughtful and generous! Your students must be quite fond of you and their parents must have high regard for you too. I have the utmost respect for teachers.

message 12: by Andrew, moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Andrew (andyhuey) | 332 comments Mod
I finished reading this today and posted a review here. I didn't have much to say about this one. If you liked Ghost, you'll like this.

I've found all three of the Track books to be legitimately engaging and fun to read, even for a jaded old guy like me. I'm actually looking forward to reading the fourth book when it comes out.

And, as a comic book fan, I'm thinking about picking up his YA Spider-Man book, Miles Morales. It's got some good reviews.

message 13: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Sep 14, 2018 07:41AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your review, Andrew!

That reminds me, I need to add Lu to our group to-read bookshelf for December. That will give members about five weeks to borrow or purchase it after it's published October 23ʳᵈ. I'll do that after I post this comment ...

Laurie | 15 comments I agree Andrew and Lavan...It was a slow start, but as I finished one I wanted to start the next! Looking forward to Lu! I wonder if the last in the series will be Coach???

message 15: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Aug 07, 2018 08:12AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laurie wrote: "I agree Andrew and Lavan...It was a slow start, but as I finished one I wanted to start the next! Looking forward to Lu! I wonder if the last in the series will be Coach???"

Have you heard that Reynolds plans to write a fifth book in the Track series? One from Coach's POV would be great!

In five days I'll begin reading Sunny ...

Bridget | 277 comments Mod
I enjoyed reading Patina, it's a unique story that can stand on it's own, but there are enough cross references that it is best to read the series in order. So far Jason Reynolds has left us with a "cliffhanger" at the end of the stories. You're pretty sure what happens but it's not spelled out.