Retro Reads discussion

General > Help needed from Jane Aiken Hodge fans

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Moderator (new)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 1736 comments Mod
I'm a Librarian on GR, & I need help from someone who has read Aiken Hodge extensively.

Yesterday I got a like on an old review of mine of Runaway Bride. When I checked the review, I was surprised that it was now part of a series, as I remember it as a standalone.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/2190...

In particular Book 4 doesn't look to be anything to do with the other books.

& while I don't remember Jenny's surname in Book 5, this book was set in England not the States!

Anyone able to help? :)

message 2: by Lesley (last edited Jun 30, 2018 02:42PM) (new)

Lesley | 163 comments Carol ꧁꧂ wrote: "I'm a Librarian on GR, & I need help from someone who has read Aiken Hodge extensively.

Yesterday I got a like on an old review of mine of Runaway Bride. When I checked the review, I was surprised..."

I remember Jane Aiken Hodge writing only one series. That was Lissenberg and comprised three books. All the rest of the fiction novels she wrote were standalone.

I would dispute the Purchas Family as shown on GR is a series for several reasons.
Book 1 Judas Flowering was published in 1976
Book 2 Wide is the Water was published in 1978 and is about Hart Purchis marrying Mercy Phillips ... so could be related, but not an official series (cataloguer coming out here :))
Book 3 Savannah Purchase was published in 1970 and had an alternate title of All for Love
Book 4 The Lost Garden was published in 1982
Book 5 The Runaway Bride was published in 1978 Jenny's surname was Purchas. Where in the earlier two Ms Hodge spelled the name as Purchis.

I don't believe there was any intention by the author to write any of her books, other than Lissenberg as a series; it is very unusual to find a series written chronologically out of order to this extent.
WorldCat doesn't have the series title of Purchas Family in their database, nor do they attribute any of the books to a series at all.

My opinion. :)

ETA: I have just looked at three of the titles on my kindle and nowhere on the cover, title page or verso, does it make any mention of the Purchas/Purchis family series.

message 3: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Moderator (new)

Thanks Lesley - GR has their own rules for series, so I'm going to leave 1&2 as is.

3 could well be included because of the title being Savannah Purchase *headesk* I know we have members in RR that love this title so hopefully someone will chime in soon. I will be removing 4&5 from the series, but will wait for more info about Savannah Purchase.

message 4: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 163 comments Carol ꧁꧂ wrote: "Thanks Lesley - GR has their own rules for series, so I'm going to leave 1&2 as is.

3 could well be included because of the title being Savannah Purchase *headesk* I know we have members in RR tha..."

Agree about GR having their own rules for series. Look at how The Four Graces managed to get added to the Miss Buncle trilogy -
"Note, the series is often considered a trilogy. The 4th book is loosely connected to the earlier books; features some of the same locations & characters, Barbara is not featured."
That connection is so loose it is laughable. Oh, and Stevenson wrote the Miss Buncle story as a trilogy, not a series!!

This reasoning would mean any book that has a place mentioned, or is set in a place of a previous book would become a series even if the characters, storyline and maybe even genre were completely different, but with the only link being the author! *sigh*

I agree with what you're planning on doing. The last two books have little or nothing in common with the first and second novels assigned to the so called series.

message 5: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Moderator (new)

A librarian once made a series of all the Dickens books/stories set at Christmastime.

But if you talk to the experienced Librarians they are quite clear. When I asked about making Simon The Coldheart & Beauvallet a series they were quite clear - set in a different time, place & quite a few generations between the 2 characters. & GH herself obviously didn't see it as a series, given that she suppressed Simon for a number of years.

message 6: by Diane Lynn (new)

Diane Lynn | 105 comments I believe Purchase (Purchis, Purchas) are all the same family but separated by multiple generations. From what I remember reading them a few years ago, 1 and 2 went together. Savannah Purchase was the first one I read but really is a stand-alone. It’s my favorite, by the way. We are told about the Purchase estate, which stayed in the family through the generations. I’ve read Runaway Bride as well, and can’t recall the names. The fourth book is new to me. That’s my 2 cents, for what it’s worth. :)

message 7: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Moderator (new)

Diane Lynn wrote: "I believe Purchase (Purchis, Purchas) are all the same family but separated by multiple generations. From what I remember reading them a few years ago, 1 and 2 went together. Savannah Purchase was ..."

Thanks Diane.

I may ponder that. Since Savannah Purchase has a tenuous link to the first two I may leave it there rather than getting into an editing war with another librarian. But the other 2 definitely appear to be totally separate books.

message 8: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 163 comments Carol ꧁꧂ wrote: "Diane Lynn wrote: "I believe Purchase (Purchis, Purchas) are all the same family but separated by multiple generations. From what I remember reading them a few years ago, 1 and 2 went together. Sav..."

But then given the publishing dates, that would made Savannah Purchase the first in series,, and from Diane said it sounds like the introduction to the estate/family. So does the order need correction?

message 9: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Moderator (new)

Lesley~aka Ella's Gran wrote: "Carol ꧁꧂ wrote: "Diane Lynn wrote: "I believe Purchase (Purchis, Purchas) are all the same family but separated by multiple generations. From what I remember reading them a few years ago, 1 and 2 w..."

Aaarrgghhh, true! & I don't want to touch that, seeing I don't think it should be part of the series in the first place! I might throw this on the Is this a series thread in the Librarian group. I'm pretty sure Savannah Purchase will be the same as Simon the Coldheart/Beauvallet but I had better be sure.

message 10: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 163 comments I don’t think any are a series. Back at the time these were written had they been intended as a series they would have been given a series title and entered on LC catalogue with that series title. The were very pedantic about that back then. And the series title would have had its own authority record in LC which would have numbering or noted if there was no numbering. Authors often wrote stories using places or characters from previous stories, but wrote them as standalone books.

message 11: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Moderator (new)

Lesley~aka Ella's Gran wrote: "I don’t think any are a series. Back at the time these were written had they been intended as a series they would have been given a series title and entered on LC catalogue with that series title. ..."

Yes I know, but I think 1&2 will meet GR's definitions. I've asked the question in the librarian's group but unless a Super has an opinion I don't think I will have an answer till Monday (US time) a lot of librarians aren't doing series work now with the changes to the series pages, so I'll have to wait for rivka from staff.

message 12: by Diane Lynn (new)

Diane Lynn | 105 comments Savannah Purchase was written first but takes place after 1 and 2. Besides the family and estate there isn’t any other connection. And it’s just a mention here and there so the reader knows it’s the same family and learns of the family. I can’t recall how many generations the gap is. I don’t consider them a series, other than 1and 2. Im still stumped by Runaway Bride.

message 13: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1964 comments This discussion is timely, because I picked up Judas Flowering a week or so ago, and then thought, "wait! Doesn't Savannah Purchase come first?" I clearly have no idea of what's what...