Georgette Heyer Fans discussion

Arabella
This topic is about Arabella
Group Reads > Arabella: Group Read July 2018 Chapters 9-17

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 4484 comments Mod
How are you finding this book so far?

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 1430 comments This is where the book really picks up steam for me. I adore the whole affaire Jemmy and how Beaumaris's world is turned upside down by it!

message 3: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (last edited Jun 30, 2018 05:35PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abigail wrote: "This is where the book really picks up steam for me. I adore the whole affaire Jemmy and how Beaumaris's world is turned upside down by it!"

I love the way GH handles (view spoiler)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 1430 comments Very true, Carol! It feels like a product of its era, and of her upbringing.

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments The passage where Clayton the groom has washed and fed Ulysses and then "not wanted to understand" that he was to take charge of the little dog made me chuckle. Beaumaris may be acting with kindness in order to fix his interest with Arabella, but the way his staff treats him tells us that he already does have a heart.

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3661 comments Karlyne wrote: "The passage where Clayton the groom has washed and fed Ulysses and then "not wanted to understand" that he was to take charge of the little dog made me chuckle. Beaumaris may be acting with kindnes..."

Yes, I just read that part yesterday and had to laugh - actually put down my knitting so I wouldn’t drop a stitch! Phyllida Nash is narrating the audiobook and is such a treat, I can visualize the whole thing. I’d love to see it as a film!

Hana | 652 comments Abigail wrote: "This is where the book really picks up steam for me. I adore the whole affaire Jemmy and how Beaumaris's world is turned upside down by it!" I agree, Abigail. And the way Beaumaris responds begins to change the way Arabella sees him: 'He was rewarded with a glowing look. "I didn't know you would be so kind!" said Arabella.'

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 2724 comments Mod
Karlyne wrote: "The passage where Clayton the groom has washed and fed Ulysses and then "not wanted to understand" that he was to take charge of the little dog made me chuckle. Beaumaris may be acting with kindnes..."

It is always those who live with and work for who know the true character of a person!

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments I was thinking, too, that it seems as though the "upper-class" were often only able to let down their guards with their dependents
and had to keep up appearances with their peers...

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments I just remembered why this isn't a 5-star book for me. Most of Heyer's brothers, even the annoying ones, I can find excuses for, but I just plain don't like Bertram!

message 11: by Hana (last edited Jul 08, 2018 11:11AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hana | 652 comments The servants could be quite as snobbish as their masters--think of how Miss Clara Crowle, Lady Bridlington's personal maid, reacted to Arabella's caring for the chamber maid with a toothache. Of course I laughed out loud when Lady B fed into the RICH Miss Tallant rumors by telling Miss Clara that her charge had grown up in "a mansion of awe inspiring gentility".

message 12: by Hana (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hana | 652 comments I don't mind Bertram that much, Karlyne. He shares Arabella's tendency to impetuosity, though he's more spoiled. I was shocked at the way his London fling turned out but I could understand how a naive young man, very new to city high-living could get carried away by the excitement.

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments I think my problem with Bertram is his amazing self-centeredness. He's not exactly selfish, although there's no hint that he's going to take any of his winnings and spend any on anyone but himself, but his most important thoughts are all for himself. I expect that in a kid of 2 or 3, but by the time he hits 18, I expect a better thought process. And, if not, then I'll find him borrrring! (Because he's a bore!)

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments I would sympathise more with his predicament if I liked him better, by the way!

message 15: by Susan in NC (last edited Jul 08, 2018 12:31PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3661 comments Karlyne wrote: "I would sympathise more with his predicament if I liked him better, by the way!"

Maybe because I just read The Way We Live Now and could’ve cheerfully strangled Sir Felix Carbury, one of the most selfish young gentlemen I’ve ever read about, but I find myself out of charity with Bertram as well. All of the effort and money expended on spoiled sons, and daughters expected to cheerfully accept whatever (if anything!) is left over! AND try to marry well to help the family...

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 2724 comments Mod
Karlyne wrote: "I think my problem with Bertram is his amazing self-centeredness. He's not exactly selfish, although there's no hint that he's going to take any of his winnings and spend any on anyone but himself,..."

Bertram is just there to mess things up basically... A lot of the brothers in GH books are like that! Bertram is a nicer, shade of Lord Gaywood from The Foundling, which I attribute to how nice both Mr and Mrs Tallant are...

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments Susan in NC wrote: "Karlyne wrote: "I would sympathise more with his predicament if I liked him better, by the way!"

Maybe because I just read The Way We Live Now and could’ve cheerfully strangled Sir Felix Carbury, ..."

Laura in Lark Rise to Candleford points out how favored sons were, too, in the 1880s, by their mothers, especially. Which is funny because it was almost always the daughters who took care of the aged parents. Sometimes I think mothers coddle their sons because they simply expect more out of their own sex...

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments ❇Critterbee wrote: "Karlyne wrote: "I think my problem with Bertram is his amazing self-centeredness. He's not exactly selfish, although there's no hint that he's going to take any of his winnings and spend any on any..."

Yes, I have great hopes that his upbringing will win in the end, but I still want to smack him!

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments Susan! Eluzabeth Goudge's The Rosemary Tree has a modern character in it whose life was sublimated to her brothers - one of my all time favorite books!

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3661 comments Karlyne wrote: "Susan in NC wrote: "Karlyne wrote: "I would sympathise more with his predicament if I liked him better, by the way!"

Maybe because I just read The Way We Live Now and could’ve cheerfully strangled..."

Agreed! Plus, I think mothers know how much women are expected to put the needs of others (children and husband), ahead of their own interests, and how strong women will have to be...I don’t have a daughter, but I’m so glad women can choose to pursue a career nowadays and skip the whole marriage and children thing if they so desire! I’m sure they still get questions from some older relatives, but at least it’s a choice...

Rosina (rosinarowantree) My problem with Bertram (and with Richmond in The Unknown Ajax) is that they are so utterly thoughtless and self-centred, yet apparently just right to go into the Army. I dread to think what would happen to their men if either of them had to face war (and I think that generally they are both too late for real action.) Neither of them shows the sort of interest in actual military matters unlike Dysart in April Lady, who clearly follows reports of battles closely.

Rosina wrote: "My problem with Bertram (and with Richmond in The Unknown Ajax) is that they are so utterly thoughtless and self-centred, yet apparently just right to go into the Army. I dread to think what would ..."

The Unknown Ajax spoiler (view spoiler) I would agree Bertram is too young.

I think we are straying into spoiler territory here. Could any discussion of Bertram's future go into the spoiler thread please.

message 23: by Hana (last edited Jul 08, 2018 01:41PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hana | 652 comments Thanks for the reminder, Carol. I think part of the problem stems from Heyer's ability to write characters who are completely of their own time. It is easy for us time-travelers from the twenty-first century to descend on Bertram as some sort of present day whatever but Heyer writes of and in the period and class--and his behavior was both typical and, for the most part, accepted.

message 24: by Hana (last edited Jul 08, 2018 01:49PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hana | 652 comments Anyway, Bertram is nowhere near as boring as Frederick who, despite his pomposity, does manage to bring his mother up to speed on the latest gossip about Arabella's supposed fortune! (Ch. 7)

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments Haha! There's a pair for you!

message 26: by Hana (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hana | 652 comments Which pair, Karlyne?

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments Bertram and Frederick! One would prose on forever about what he knows and the other about what he does!

message 28: by Hana (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hana | 652 comments lol Karlyne!

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 1430 comments Karlyne, I love the shout-out for Elizabeth Goudge! One of my favorite authors, and I wish she were more widely read. I hope she doesn't fall out of print.

I grew up in a household in which the boys were everything and I was supposed to submit and serve, so I guess I accept the Regency way as normal. (Of course, that training didn't really stick with me, but that would be a whole different story...)

message 30: by Hana (last edited Jul 08, 2018 03:28PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hana | 652 comments Thanks for mentioning one of my all-time favorite authors, Elizabeth Goudge, Abigail and Karlyne! Some of us sensible readers both know and love her. I'm not sure if you are in the Retro Reads group yet but do come and join us here https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/...

There is quite a bit of friend overlap and Retro Reads in no way competes with our beloved Georgette Heyer group.

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments I do really want to read The Rosemary Tree for Retro Reads. I'm sure we'll get aroun
d to it!

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments Abigail, isn't it nice to know that we can overcome our childhood trainings?!?

message 33: by Hana (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hana | 652 comments I totally missedThe Rosemary Tree in my semi-obsessive reading of Elizabeth Goudge's works. We really must add it to the Retro Reads TBR list! Of course you and I can always do an on-the-side buddy read!

message 34: by Hana (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hana | 652 comments Karlyne wrote: "Abigail, isn't it nice to know that we can overcome our childhood trainings?!?"

So true...and yet as one after another of my parents and grand-parents and their relatives die I find myself remembering mostly their gifts to me. The faults they left behind in me I figure are my work to correct!

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments Hana wrote: "Karlyne wrote: "Abigail, isn't it nice to know that we can overcome our childhood trainings?!?"

So true...and yet as one after another of my parents and grand-parents and their relatives die I fin..."

Luckily, all of my relatives only left me their good traits. Snort, choke, cough...

message 36: by Susan in NC (last edited Jul 08, 2018 07:41PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3661 comments Karlyne wrote: "I do really want to read The Rosemary Tree for Retro Reads. I'm sure we'll get aroun
d to it!"

I look forward to it! I’m embarrassed to say I’ve never read Elizabeth Goudge - I’m getting great author recommendations in the Retro Reads group, love it! And reading and rereading Heyers with this group, I get so much more out of her books from you all. It’s like an online book club - all the books, none of the snacks and wine...

message 37: by Nick (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nick Imrie (nickimrie) | 443 comments Elizabeth Goudge - going on the list.

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments Hana wrote: "I don't mind Bertram that much, Karlyne. He shares Arabella's tendency to impetuosity, though he's more spoiled. I was shocked at the way his London fling turned out but I could understand how a na..."

I've reached Leaky Peg, and I've decided you're right, Hana. Bertram is paying for his willful ways, and he's not all that bad. I still want to smack him, but not quite as hard.

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments Nick wrote: "Elizabeth Goudge - going on the list."

Are you on Retro Reads, too, Nick?

message 40: by Hana (last edited Jul 09, 2018 03:42PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hana | 652 comments Do please join Retro Reads, Nick! It would be so excellent to have your insights.

Karlyne, I agree. Re end of book: (view spoiler)

message 41: by Hana (last edited Jul 09, 2018 03:53PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hana | 652 comments I agree, Susan. Can you put that comment into spoiler protection? Click on the (some HTML is okay) link to see how to code it.

message 42: by Jackie (new) - added it

Jackie | 1385 comments Nick wrote: "Elizabeth Goudge - going on the list."

I just voted for an Elizabeth Goudge book on retro reads, it is a poll. I haven't read her before but would like to.

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments The Dean's Watch? So many good nominations!

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3661 comments Hana wrote: "I agree, Susan. Can you put that comment into spoiler protection? Click on the (some HTML is okay) link to see how to code it."

I deleted it.

message 45: by Jackie (new) - added it

Jackie | 1385 comments Karlyne wrote: "The Dean's Watch? So many good nominations!"

yes, I hope it wins, I requested it from my library but it's at another branch.

message 46: by Hana (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hana | 652 comments it was a really good post, Susan. I'm sorry you deleted it :( PM me and I'll show you how to do spoiler html. Or you can paste and repost in the spoiler threads. I can show you all how to do that, too.

message 47: by Hana (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hana | 652 comments Darned good guess, then!

message 48: by Hana (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hana | 652 comments I've been in murder mystery group reads where one of the readers (not a re-reader) totally guessed whodunit. I think that's fair game as long as it's labeled as something like 'here's how I think it will turn out.'

Carol, group members, any thoughts on guidelines for this sort of discussion? Honestly with Heyer we all know it's going to end happily and we mostly know who marries who. But the fun lies in how it all plays out and that's the part where spoiler territory lies for me.

Hana wrote: "I've been in murder mystery group reads where one of the readers (not a re-reader) totally guessed whodunit. I think that's fair game as long as it's labeled as something like 'here's how I think i..."

Group rules are here, also contains how to do spoiler tags. There is also a separate thread on how to do spoiler tags. Both are stickied at the top of the Heyer in General folder

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Personally, I look on spoilers as anything I wouldn't have wanted to know if it was my first read of a book. Or that I may have forgotten if my read was a long time ago. & spoilers for other GH titles should go under spoiler tags.

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 1430 comments Haha, I agree, Hana! I once had a doctor exclaim to me impatiently, "How can you read that romance drivel? It always comes out the same in the end." I was intimidated by him but wanted to say, "It's not the destination, it's the journey."

« previous 1