Half a King (Shattered Sea, #1) Half a King question

The ending
Sebastiaan Sebastiaan Aug 03, 2014 02:43AM
Why did Uthil, whose identity you could see coming as soon as he picked up the sword and killed those guard, want to banish Yarvi? Wasn't this one of the absolute worst decision Uthil could make?

Yarvi did the best he could considering the circumstances, he invited a foreign power into Gettland but only to save them from a traitor, a puppet of the High King and Grandmother Wexen. Uthil is fresh in his power, does he think the High King won't try to dethrone him? Wouldn't having an heir make him more secure in The Black chair and ensure that there won't be a power struggle, a civil war, should anything happen to him? Yarvi has proved he is capable, and it is more than obvious he does not want the throne, so shouldn't the both of them have come to an agreement, shouldn't Yarvi have waited to join the ministers until his uncle has a son of his own?

After all Yarvi and Nothing have been through it seems very unlikely that there isn't enough trust between them for such an arrangement.

i did think that uthil suggesting banishment was harsh but he clearly feared a fight for black chair. what doesn't make sense is why didn't suggest yarvi take his minister's test since it would make him unable to ever take the throne from him and eliminate him as a threat. i think the author included it for a bit of excitement at the very end to further cement yarvi's intelligence at finding a solution to save himself. it was too obvious, though.

i'm far more interested by the oath isruin makes. i suppose that sets her up to be the villain of book 2 or, more likley, book 3. i also wonder if this will really appeal to the young adult audience. while i can tell that joe abercrombie tried to keep it lighter and simpler for that group, i still think the way it's penned is not going to make it easier for the average teen reader to engage and enjoy the story. pity, though. it is a good story.

Cory (last edited Aug 10, 2014 12:58PM ) Aug 10, 2014 12:56PM   0 votes
Isruin's oath was the exact same as Yarvi's, word for word. She swore to take revenge upon her father's killers. All of them.

I haven't done any background research to the book, so I didn't know if Abercrombie was going to do a series centered around Yarvi.. I hope he does. This book was fantastic.

As for Uthil's consideration of banishment, it's not difficult to comprehend. Upheaval is a terrible thing for royals, and elimination of any possible source ensures the lack of it. As long as Yarvi had any possible claim to the throne, there's always the threat someone will back him in a power play. There's also the fact that Yarvi would be a threat to any children Uthil and Laithlin might have. Hell, it was Yarvi's own uncle who tried to end his claim to the throne.

With Yarvi becoming a minister and officially renouncing any claim, no one would have a reason to back him or try to use him to gain power because it'd be no different than a weaver trying to claim the throne.

As soon as Uthil claimed the Black Chair (he yelled "it's mine"), he was obligated to follow the nation's laws (or, at least, not to flaunt it). That was his journey. He lost his vanity - the sense that his wishes were more import than the rules.

I agree with a previous person. Having Yarvi come up with the idea both demonstrates his intelligence (and his suitability to be a minister), and it lets Uthil set himself up as a stern-but-fair leader.

I thought it fit the "harsh world" of the story. I think it helped to establish the hard, unbending nature of that world. Yarvi's outlook is a good contrast and makes for an interesting read.
Remind me about Isruin's oath.....?
I'm looking forward to where the next book is going to go.