Heathens, Pagans and Witches discussion

Magic(k) > Pagan Symbolism

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Iva (last edited Aug 03, 2014 02:01AM) (new)

Iva Kenaz (ivakenaz) | 17 comments Hi everyone,
I have been studying symbolism and the healing power of pagan symbols these days and am looking for good books to read on that theme or just start some interesting discussion on that topic. Anyone interested?
I'm particularly into in the different star symbols. I'm still struggling with the eight and nine-rayed star, as the other are more or less clear to me.
Thank you and blessings to you all.

message 2: by Aaron, Moderator (new)

Aaron Carson | 1216 comments Blessings to you too Iva! Do you think you could go into a bit more detail? Some of our readers might benefit from knowing which pagan tradition you are sourcing the star symbols from.

I'm actually not personally familiar with the eight and nine-rayed stars. I'm assuming that's not from Mayan astrology.

message 3: by Iva (new)

Iva Kenaz (ivakenaz) | 17 comments Thank you, Aaron!
I haven't thought of the Mayan connected before, but I'll look into that.
I find the five and six rayed stars to be very powerful protection symbols and it's curious how connected they are to sacred geometry, runes, Kabbalah and are present in our DNA, so they keep amazing me. However, I'd like to pinpoint the other star symbols and ask if perhaps some of you have experience with the symbols in magic or protection.

message 4: by Aaron, Moderator (new)

Aaron Carson | 1216 comments The only thing I could really tell you from what I know about Hindu Yantric mystic figures is that the six pointed star (like the star of david) is the emblematic sigil for the element of air.

message 5: by Iva (new)

Iva Kenaz (ivakenaz) | 17 comments Thank you Aaron and Brian,
I haven't found that wikipedia article before, real good information there!
The book also sounds interesting.
Thank you once again for your help!

message 6: by Iva (new)

Iva Kenaz (ivakenaz) | 17 comments By the way, I found some amazing article on heptagon (seven-rayed star) recently for those of you who'd be interested: http://vizcayamuseumshop.blogspot.cz/...

message 7: by Jule (new)

Jule | 16 comments Iva wrote: "By the way, I found some amazing article on heptagon (seven-rayed star) recently for those of you who'd be interested: http://vizcayamuseumshop.blogspot.cz/......"
The seven pointed star is also on a alchemy t-shirt i was wearing yesterday, i was wandering about its origins.

message 8: by Iva (new)

Iva Kenaz (ivakenaz) | 17 comments Jule wrote: "Iva wrote: "By the way, I found some amazing article on heptagon (seven-rayed star) recently for those of you who'd be interested: http://vizcayamuseumshop.blogspot.cz/......"
It's amazing, eh? I knew it was the Elven Star, but there is something very magical about the number seven and also of all the star symbols, this one is the most mysterious I feel.

message 9: by Little (new)

Little Miss Esoteric (littlemissesoteric) | 1116 comments Moon day to Sun day. The Secret History of the World by Jonathan Black is great reading on the significance of the seven planets.

message 10: by Iva (new)

Iva Kenaz (ivakenaz) | 17 comments Little wrote: "Moon day to Sun day. The Secret History of the World by Jonathan Black is great reading on the significance of the seven planets."
Thank you for the suggestion, sounds interesting!

message 11: by Iva (new)

Iva Kenaz (ivakenaz) | 17 comments Little wrote: "Moon day to Sun day. The Secret History of the World by Jonathan Black is great reading on the significance of the seven planets."
:-)

message 12: by Iva (new)

Iva Kenaz (ivakenaz) | 17 comments Nine main numbers, nine planets, nine dimensions...so far I have found one interesting thing - that all the star shapes based on the odd numerological values seem to create the pentagram-like eternity of never-ending repeating stars in the middle (as above so below pattern, you can draw into them again and again), whereas the even ones meet in the central point. Could it be that they all speak of the pattern - look within/find eternity?
Or perhaps I'm simply going mad from all the symbolism that I study :-)

message 13: by Old-Barbarossa (new)

Old-Barbarossa | 591 comments You look too hard there's symbolism everywhere. Us primates are hard wired for pattern recognition.
Do the William S. Burroughs test and start looking for 23s.
Also, regarding 9, by Discordian logic:
9 = 3 to the power of 2...3 + 2 = 5.
There are 5s everywhere.

message 14: by Iva (new)

Iva Kenaz (ivakenaz) | 17 comments True, symbolism everywhere and nowhere...
But we created the basic nine numbers, so there must be some meaning to them, maybe even simply by keeping that egregore alive...

message 15: by Old-Barbarossa (new)

Old-Barbarossa | 591 comments Iva wrote: "...But we created the basic nine numbers..."

Did we? Do you mean the currently dominant Arabic numerals we use?
They are just tools to allow us to describe things. The number on their own mean nothing. The same things can be described using binary and other more exotic systems.
But by describing accurately we fix values and meaning in many ways. Like the power of naming something.

message 16: by Iva (new)

Iva Kenaz (ivakenaz) | 17 comments True, I agree :-)