Reading Until Infinity discussion

Archive > July 2018 Book Nominations

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by La Tonya (new)

La Tonya  Jordan | 725 comments The theme for July 2018 nominations has to do with "Music." It is where the main factor of the story centers around music. I look forward to seeing the nominations.

Rules
1. One book per person
2. Poll will be set up when we reach 6 valid nominations
3. Book should follow the theme
4. Try to explain why you are choosing the book (optional)

Enjoy Reading,
La Tonya

message 2: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I nominate Bel Canto by Ann Patchett

The central character is an opera singer. This book was actually turned into an opera that was put on by Chicago Lyric Opera and I believe it will be turned into a film, too!!

It's a wonderful story about what happened when people are forced together by a crisis. It is a wonderful book.

message 3: by La Tonya (last edited Jun 30, 2018 11:47AM) (new)

La Tonya  Jordan | 725 comments Kirsten wrote: "I nominate Bel Canto by Ann Patchett

The central character is an opera singer. This book was actually turned into an opera that was put on by Chicago Lyric Opera and I..."

I have read this book. It is excellent. It is worth reading twice for me. Thank you for the nomination.

message 4: by Raymond (new)

Raymond | 13 comments I nominate Kill 'Em and Leave: Searching for James Brown and the American Soul by James McBride. Its a really good book.

message 5: by La Tonya (new)

La Tonya  Jordan | 725 comments Raymond wrote: "I nominate Kill 'Em and Leave: Searching for James Brown and the American Soul by James McBride. Its a really good book."

Thank you for the nomination. James Brown had a music career that cannot be imitated.

message 6: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) La Tonya wrote: "Kirsten wrote: "I nominate Bel Canto by Ann Patchett

The central character is an opera singer. This book was actually turned into an opera that was put on by Chicago L..."

I know what you mean. I've always wanted to re-read it. Just looking for an excuse.

message 7: by Leslie (last edited Jun 30, 2018 01:11PM) (new)

Leslie I nominate A Brief History of Seven Killings by Marlon James A Brief History of Seven Killings by Marlon James.

I chose this because I absolutely love the music of Bob Marley and this night was extreme important in this musical legend's life.

WINNER OF THE 2015 MAN BOOKER PRIZE FOR FICTION From the acclaimed author of The Book of Night Women comes a masterfully written novel that explores the attempted assassination of Bob Marley in the late 1970s.

message 8: by Bill (new)

Bill I nominate Victory Disc by Andrew Cartmel for its excellent plot, characterisation & sense of fun. It's the third novel in the Vinyl Detective series, but works well as a stand alone novel if you haven't read the first two books.

Nicole (TheBookWormDrinketh)  (kalicokittah) | 2 comments I'll nominate The Fortress of Solitude by Jonathan Lethem

Nicole (TheBookWormDrinketh)  (kalicokittah) | 2 comments Sorry, I forgot to add why I nominate this book! Any book that has themes of music from the 70s and 90s, and the synopsis ends with "This is the story of what would happen if two teenaged boys obsessed with comic book heroes actually had superpowers: they would screw up their lives."
I'm in!!

message 11: by Nat (new)

Nat K (natnoir) I'd like to nominate "Lonely Boy" by Steve Jones.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

John Lydon's bio was a fascinating read, so this one is the same I'm sure. I love to get into books which show how much music was influenced by what was going on in wider society, and reflected the feel of the time.

message 12: by La Tonya (new)

La Tonya  Jordan | 725 comments Nat wrote: "I'd like to nominate "Lonely Boy" by Steve Jones.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

John Lydon's bio was a fascinating read, so this one is the same I'm sure. I love to get ..."

Thank You, This is the sixth nomination. Make sure to vote.