Literally Leander discussion

Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1)
This topic is about Six of Crows
Book Discussions - 2018 > Final Thoughts - July

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Leander Public Library | 156 comments Mod
Our featured book for July 2018 was Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo. Please be aware of spoilers in this thread.

This month, we've borrowed some prompt questions from Lit Lovers, but please don't feel like you are required to answer them. They are only prompts if you're trying to find something to write about. Otherwise, we would love to hear any of your thoughts and opinions on this book, as well as any questions posed for your fellow members.

1. Do you have any favorites within the Dregs? Is there one you relate to or sympathize with more than any of the others?

2. Six of Crows is set in the same world as Bardugo’s Grisha Verse. If you’ve read any of the books in that trilogy, how does this one compare? If you haven’t, was it hard to find your footing at first?

3. The story was told through five different characters. Did you enjoy this format? Do the differing voices progress seamlessly, or does the storyline feel disjointed? Why do you think Bardugo chose to tell the story this way?

4. What do you think about the relationship between Nina and Matthias? Do they love or hate one another? Or are their conflicted feelings flip sides of the same coin?

5. What do you think about the relationship between Kaz and Inej? Inej tells Kaz, “I will have you without armor, Kaz Brekker. Or I will not have you at all.” What do you think she meant by that?

6. Talk about the various loyalties and friendships that exist among and between the crew members.

7. Six of Crows is the first book in a duology, followed up by Crooked Kingdom. Will you be reading the next book?

This book has been much-loved by several of our staff members as well as other readers. We're excited to hear what you have to say about it!

message 2: by Sharlyn (new) - added it

Sharlyn | 6 comments I started reading this book but I eventually decided not to finish it. Through trying this, I have learned that I am not particularly a fan of the fantasy genre. I find it hard to learn the rules of a new world when the one we live in is always changing.

Perhaps I will give it another try in the future, but I think I will have to stick with the real-world books.

message 3: by Elvia (new)

Elvia Palacios (elle1221) | 16 comments I actually read this book back in... May, I want to say and already my memory is hazy with all the details so excuse this post for being a little to general in terms of discussion.

I absolutely enjoyed this book. I came upon it with pretty high expectations since this book has a pretty big fan base in the tumblr-sphere in which I lurk. So it was pretty satisfying that those expectations were met.

I think it was pretty smart for Leigh to tell this story in revolving POV's because it made each character very distinct and personable without sacrificing the progress of the plot. I really got to know the motivations, prejudices, backstory and emotional depth (or emotional blocks *cough Kaz cough*) of each one little by little and came to like each one despite their flaws or the darkness in their hearts. I don't think this story could have been told as well if it was told in one point of view or as a 3rd person narrative.

Favorite dynamic in this first book would def be Nina and Matthias. It's such a fire and ice, love/hate type of relationship that I *live* for. It had me on the edge of my seat watching it unfold. And Leigh did a good job of making their love story believable considering the fear and hate these two inspired in each other at first.

That's all I can think of to say right now. I hope someone else chimes in so I'm inspired to piggy back off of their points or comments. :)

Kristen | 145 comments Y'all, my love for this book is endless. It truly is. Elvia, I don't have a tumblr but I'm not surprised to hear that it has such a huge following; I've seen some pretty amazing fanart and heard of decent fanfictions, which is totally perfect for me, because I'm seriously craving more. (And yes, I will be reading Crooked Kingdom!!)

1. Do you have any favorites within the Dregs? Is there one you relate to or sympathize with more than any of the others?
How can one have a favorite in this book?? (It's totally possible, but still.) I guess if I had to say who I liked best within the Dregs, I'd say Kaz. I'm usually not one who is a fan of the clear-cut anti-hero, but Kaz is amazing. He owns this book, he owns the Dregs, he's all-around amazing.

Other favorites would include Inej, Nina, and Matthias (and I know that makes up half of the group, I do.) Inej is a wonderfully contradicting character, and while Nina and Matthias are wonderful on their own, their hot and cold relationship is to die for.

3. The story was told through five different characters. Did you enjoy this format? Do the differing voices progress seamlessly, or does the storyline feel disjointed? Why do you think Bardugo chose to tell the story this way?
My personal preference isn't third person. In general, I feel like it's harder to get into a character's head if you're just watching them from the outside. This was not the case with Six of Crows. I found this method of storytelling to be the optimum one; it allowed us to get a feel for all seven members of Kaz's ramshackle crew, and gave us the chance to love and worry about them.

4. What do you think about the relationship between Nina and Matthias? Do they love or hate one another? Or are their conflicted feelings flip sides of the same coin?
I hardcore ship Nina/Matthias. I think they do love one another, but they are wrestling with their feelings and the principles they've grown up with. They're both soldiers, and both of them have been taught from an early age to loathe the other. Finding out that your enemy isn't really an enemy is a hard pill to swallow, and that's something that both Nina and Matthias will have to overcome for their relationship to truly blossom.

5. What do you think about the relationship between Kaz and Inej? Inej tells Kaz, “I will have you without armor, Kaz Brekker. Or I will not have you at all.” What do you think she meant by that?
Bardugo might be a queen of complex relationships. While I like Kaz and Inej, I don't quite feel the same way about them as I do about Nina and Matthias.

I think what Inej is trying to say is that she is not going to settle. If Kaz wants her to give herself to him, he will be expected to do the same. There will be no secrets between them. It's idealistic, but I'm not surprised for it to be said by Inej.

I like to think that I'm pretty articulate, but this book makes me fangirl. It totally does, and I'm not even ashamed.