Cozy Mystery Corner discussion

Lowcountry Boil (A Liz Talbot Mystery, #1)
This topic is about Lowcountry Boil
Featured Series and Cozies > Liz Talbot (Lowcountry Boil) by Susan Boyer

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nell (last edited Jul 01, 2018 02:26AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nell | 2866 comments Mod
The theme for July '18 is "Set in the South" and the featured series is Liz Talbot Mysteries by Susan M. Boyer. Set on an island off the coast of South Carolina, Liz Talbot and her partner, Nate Andrews, are private investigators who get a little help from Liz's ghostly best friend. The first book in the series, Lowcountry Boil, won an Agatha Award for best first novel.
Lowcountry Boil (A Liz Talbot Mystery, #1) by Susan M. Boyer

Other books in the series are:
Lowcountry Bombshell (A Liz Talbot Mystery, #2) by Susan M. Boyer Lowcountry Boneyard (Liz Talbot Mystery, #3) by Susan M. Boyer Lowcountry Bordello (Liz Talbot Mystery #4) by Susan M. Boyer Lowcountry Book Club (Liz Talbot Mystery #5) by Susan M. Boyer Lowcountry Bonfire (Liz Talbot Mystery #6) by Susan M. Boyer Lowcountry Bookshop (Liz Talbot Mystery #7) by Susan M. Boyer

Lowcountry Bombshell
Lowcountry Boneyard
Lowcountry Bordello
Lowcountry Book Club
Lowcountry Bonfire
Lowcountry Bookshop

Discuss any book in the series here.

Barb | 773 comments Oh I love this series! I'll try to work the next book into my reading for July :)

message 3: by MadameZelda (new) - added it

MadameZelda | 624 comments It's been on my TBR for awhile. I've got to read it.

Nell | 2866 comments Mod
I discovered this series when the first book was named a finalist for the Agatha Award. And I've been a fan ever since.

Finished reading Lowcountry Bonfire a couple of days ago. Another strong book in the series. This one is set on the island where Liz and her family live. There's a small group of suspects but it was still challenging to figure out who did it and why. I really enjoyed this one. I'll be reading the most recent one later this month.

message 5: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 15 comments I read the first three books in this series in about a week, starting in late June. I love the series, and plan to keep going, but Kindle versions get more expensive later in the series, so I am trying to space them out now. In the first book, keeping the characters straight was a bit of a challenge, but once you understand all of the relationships, the series becomes a lot of fun.

Chris I love this series - have read all but Bonfire and Bookclub!! I am fortunate that our libraries carry all of them in either book or ebook form!!

Alice | 501 comments I just finished Lowcountry Book Club (Liz Talbot Mystery #5) by Susan M. Boyer . Very good addition to the series. Oozes with Southern charm. Mystery is not easy to figure out. Liz's mother and father although not in this one much are quite entertaining. Highly recommend this series.

message 8: by MadameZelda (new) - added it

MadameZelda | 624 comments Has anyone listened to the audiobooks? If so, are they good?

I'm asking because I have eye problems and have difficulty reading. I've had to rely on both audio and ebooks to read.

Helen (helennn) | 669 comments I'm currently listening to the audiobook on a long road trip as I drive, and am finding it very good. I'll probably finish it on my next leg on Tuesday.
As an Australian, I found the southern accent of the reader a little grating at first (I tend to look for audiobooks with British or Australian narrators). However, she is quite easy to listen too, and appropriate to the setting of the book, and I soon became used to her.
For an American used to southern accents, she should be good to listen to.

message 10: by MadameZelda (new) - added it

MadameZelda | 624 comments Thanks, Helen! I'll look for the audio versions.

message 11: by Meg (new) - rated it 4 stars

Meg (makeli2) | 1039 comments I've read the first four of this series and loved them. Intelligent, strong mysteries with intelligent, strong characters. I have the fifth downloaded; I'm hoping that I'm able to get to it soon.

Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review) (knyttwytch) | 989 comments I just read Lowcountry Bookshop Lowcountry Bookshop (Liz Talbot Mystery #7) by Susan M. Boyer and I think it is one of the strongest ones yet (which is saying something as they are all good).

Alice | 501 comments I think the series is one of the best cozy series on the market right now. Very well written.

Helen (helennn) | 669 comments Lowcountry Boil (A Liz Talbot Mystery, #1) by Susan M. Boyer is an excellent start to a series, and I'll probably look for more. Thank you for choosing a series I probably would have overlooked otherwise.

Gayla P (gwrn) | 4 comments MadameZelda wrote: "Has anyone listened to the audiobooks? If so, are they good?

I'm asking because I have eye problems and have difficulty reading. I've had to rely on both audio and ebooks to read."

Yes, that is how I am able to "read" with my busy schedule. I listen in my car or when I am cleaning. The narrator of this series is very good and has a southern accent.

message 16: by MadameZelda (new) - added it

MadameZelda | 624 comments Thanks, Gayla!

Alice | 501 comments I decided to read one more of Ms. Boyer's this month. This morning I finished Lowcountry Bonfire (Liz Talbot Mystery #6) by Susan M. Boyer This book is the 2017 addition to the series. Another good story. Clues throughout to help you solve the murder although not obvious, some humor thrown in too. I bought her newest book to will need to get that read too.

Bridget Pertlicek | 5 comments So glad you previously recommended this series. Just finished the first one Lowcountry Boil and loved it! Hope to get the rest of the series in order from my library as they are more expensive than some cozies.

Alice | 501 comments Yesterday I started her newest book. Lowcountry Bookshop (Liz Talbot Mystery #7) by Susan M. Boyer . Still one of my favorite cozy series. Enjoying this new one a lot

message 20: by Helen (new)

Helen Loveland | 9 comments Coming in a little late here but, yes, the audiobook is good! Narrator's voice suits well.