Play Book Tag discussion

The Watchmaker of Filigree Street (The Watchmaker of Filigree Street, #1)
This topic is about The Watchmaker of Filigree Street
June 2018: Magical Realism > The Watchmaker of Filigree Street - Pulley - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jgrace (last edited Jun 30, 2018 09:46AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jgrace | 3112 comments The Watchmaker of Filigree Street - Pulley
Audio performance by Thomas Judd
4 stars

This was such a fun story. Historical fiction, in a mildly alternative way, set in some of my favorite locations and time; London and Japan in the late 19th century. The setting is realistic enough that it doesn’t feel like fantasy, but there’s certainly an underlying paranormal magical realism surrounding the clockwork mechanisms of steampunk. It was refreshing to relax with likable characters. I thought the unconventional Victorian love interests were very sweet. The happily-ever-after felt just right.

After reading The Night Circus, I wanted a ticket to the circus. After reading this book, I would really like to own one of Keita Mori’s watches, or maybe an octopus.

message 2: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5159 comments Sounds interesting! I will have to look into this.

message 3: by Jgrace (last edited Jul 01, 2018 06:27AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jgrace | 3112 comments annapi wrote: "Sounds interesting! I will have to look into this."

I've been reading some reviews and it looks like many people are critical of the writing. It does jump around in time which can be hard to follow ( but not nearly as much as Night Circus ) I liked the audio performance which may have allowed me to tolerate any awkwardness in the writing.

message 4: by KateNZ (new) - added it

KateNZ | 2671 comments Sounds fun!