2022 ONTD Reading Challenge discussion

2018 ♦️ARCHIVES♦️ July > July 2018 - “It’s been 84 years”

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 327 comments Mod
Read a book that was published in 1934 OR written by an author who was born in 1934!

message 2: by Rachel (last edited Jun 30, 2018 11:21AM) (new)

will update this spot with the ONTD post, which has been submitted!

OK, post is finally up https://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com...

message 3: by Katie (new)

Katie (littlelistmaker) If anyone has Amazon prime reading, Harlan Ellison was born in 1934 and "I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream" is new to read on there for free. Haven't read it and can't vouch for it, but wanted to put it out there just in case anyone is interested.

message 4: by Lea (new)

Lea | 327 comments Mod
I'm going to have a super busy/stressful month so I have to pick something light. I might reread Miss Buncle's Book or read one of the PG Wodehouse books published in 34

(If anyone likes historical fiction with lots of political intrigue/family drama, I really recommend I, Claudius for this month!! It's a great book!!)

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Oh thank you Katie!!

I'm not sure what I'll read this month... I planned to do Helter Skelter, so I think I'll put that on hold soon. I honestly have too many books out from the library this month so I'll probably put off reading anything for this month until closer to the end, lol

message 6: by Sheneve (new)

Sheneve Butler | 12 comments I read A Handful of Dust by Evelyn Waugh. I read it a few months ago and I didn't realize why I added it to my tbr until I finished it. Oops!

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan | 53 comments I'm probably going to read Howl's Moving Castle since I've been meaning to do a reread since... 2015? I'm also eyeing The Convenient Marriage on audiobook because hellooooooo Richard Armitage. and I have to admit, I, Claudius has really caught my eye

message 8: by Anthony (new)

Anthony (anthh) | 12 comments I'm going to try to read The Postman Always Rings Twice if I can find it at one of the NYPL.

message 9: by Undine (new)

Undine | 84 comments I’m gonna do The Dark Lord of Derkholm by Diana Wynne Jones, and hopefully Murder on the Orient Express. I’m gonna get to a Christie book eventually this year, dammit.

message 10: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Zaccaria | 105 comments I'm going to read Does Your House Have Lions?

message 11: by Kat (new)

Kat | 54 comments I know I've been gushing about it on ONTD, but I just finished listening to Murder on the Orient Express read by Dan Stevens and he does a fantastic job. And it's only 6.5 hours if you're looking for a shorter book.

message 12: by Juliana (new)

Juliana (julzreads) | 94 comments I'm reading Mary Poppins because I've actually wanted to see the differences from the source material to the movie.

message 13: by Sam (new)

Sam (samjunipero) | 41 comments I think I'm gonna read Sister Outsider: Essays and Speeches or Howl's Moving Castle. I've been meaning to read both for a while now.

message 14: by Sam (new)

Sam (samjunipero) | 41 comments I think I'm gonna read Sister Outsider: Essays and Speeches or Howl's Moving Castle. I've been meaning to read both for a while now.

message 15: by Dainey (new)

Dainey | 69 comments Gave Murder on the Orient Express a whirl.

I watch the Albert Finney film way more often than I read the book, so it's nice to give it a go to spot the subtle differences.

message 16: by Sasha (new)

Sasha | 104 comments Ended up doing A Man Lay Dead since I love mysteries. While I was reading it I was thinking about going on and reading more of the series but as I finished it, I don't think I will. This one is the first of Marsh's Alleyn, so her detective isn't quite as figured out yet. There was also a way of describing some characters that didn't sit right with me. I will say I did not guess the murderer, but I may have tried to make it more twisty than it actually was. Lol.

message 17: by Rachel (new)

Kat wrote: "I know I've been gushing about it on ONTD, but I just finished listening to Murder on the Orient Express read by Dan Stevens and he does a fantastic job. And it's only 6.5 hours if ..."

i think i may try this, i've been listening to audiobooks at work and will need something new soon :)

message 18: by Undine (new)

Undine | 84 comments I finished Murder on the Orient Express really quickly and pictured David Suchet throughout. I really wanna watch the 70s movie with Finney now!

message 19: by Cathryn (new)

Cathryn (esmenoir) | 33 comments I'm currently reading A Burst of Light by Audre Lorde because it was available from my public library. I would've preferred Sister Outsider: Essays and Speeches, but I have way too many books sitting on my Kindle that I've purchased and not yet read, so I went with what I could get for free.

I'm enjoying the essays so far -- her style is powerful and yet easy to follow, which is great.

Joan Didion was also born in 1934 and since I've enjoyed her work so much recently, I may read Slouching Towards Bethlehem, which I own, but I've already read two of her books this year and I'm not sure I'm ready to tackle another.

message 20: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Ashley | 25 comments Finished Mary Poppins and it was overall really sweet. There is a very racist remark right at the very end of the book which definitely soured the experience, but I can see myself reading chapters of this before bed to my future kids because it is a very sweet and imaginative read. I'm actually surprised she was so against the cartoons in the movie because there were parts of the book that felt like were perfect for animation. How else you perfect a dancing cow?

message 21: by Kim (new)

Kim | 65 comments I read Harriet by Elizabeth Jenkins. It was insane!

Highly recommend.

message 22: by Lea (new)

Lea | 327 comments Mod
Kim wrote: "I read Harriet by Elizabeth Jenkins. It was insane!

Highly recommend."

omg I hadn't heard of this one but it's a Persephone book... it looks really good

message 23: by Rachel (new)

Kim wrote: "I read Harriet by Elizabeth Jenkins. It was insane!

Highly recommend."

i have got to read this now lol

message 24: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Zaccaria | 105 comments I read Does Your House Have Lions? and it was beautiful and heartbreaking.

message 25: by Rachel (new)

this is the only book i have left for the challenge! (well, plus the one i'm reading now for december). i decided to check out that Harlan Ellison collection. I got it as an ebook, and will hopefully will be able to knock it out before the end of the month!