Challenge Corner discussion

Salt to the Sea
This topic is about Salt to the Sea
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book of the Month Archives! > Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys - July 2018 Book of the Month

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (new)

Felicia | 15005 comments Mod
World War II is drawing to a close in East Prussia and thousands of refugees are on a desperate trek toward freedom, many with something to hide. Among them are Joana, Emilia, and Florian, whose paths converge en route to the ship that promises salvation, the Wilhelm Gustloff. Forced by circumstance to unite, the three find their strength, courage, and trust in each other tested with each step closer to safety.

Just when it seems freedom is within their grasp, tragedy strikes. Not country, nor culture, nor status matter as all ten thousand people—adults and children alike—aboard must fight for the same thing: survival.

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8237 comments Glad this was selected! I will definitely be doing a reread. Anyone else planning to read?

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 9905 comments C.P. wrote: "Glad this was selected! I will definitely be doing a reread. Anyone else planning to read?"

I might if I find time. :D

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8237 comments Yay! You should definitely give it a try.

message 5: by Anna 'Bookbuyer' (last edited Jun 30, 2018 08:03PM) (new) - added it

Anna 'Bookbuyer' (bookbuyer) | 9905 comments C.P. wrote: "Yay! You should definitely give it a try."

I will try. ^-^

🥀 Aly Rose 🥀 (ratherwicked) | 2 comments I bought this book right before my surgery and I’ve been waiting to read it! I might just have to jump in on this one

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8237 comments Please do, if you're able. It's really a wonderful book.

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Rapp | 25 comments Sounds like a good one

Ashy Khaira (asreenkhaira) | 814 comments Section 1 (view spoiler)

Ashy Khaira (asreenkhaira) | 814 comments Section 2 (view spoiler)

Ashy Khaira (asreenkhaira) | 814 comments Section 3 (view spoiler)

Ashy Khaira (asreenkhaira) | 814 comments Section 4 (view spoiler)

message 13: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8237 comments Hope you're liking this one, Ashy! Can't wait to read it again, one of my favorites of the year.

Ashy Khaira (asreenkhaira) | 814 comments Finished (view spoiler)

message 15: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8237 comments Did you get answers to all the questions in that last spoiler? They are all there.

Marissa | 1113 comments 20%
(view spoiler)

message 17: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8237 comments Marissa: (view spoiler)

Marissa | 1113 comments C.P. wrote: "Marissa: [spoilers removed]"
(view spoiler)

Marissa | 1113 comments 45%
(view spoiler)

Marissa | 1113 comments 72%
(view spoiler)

message 21: by Marissa (last edited Jul 16, 2018 06:55PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Marissa | 1113 comments Finished
(view spoiler)

message 22: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8237 comments Glad you enjoyed it, Marissa! I'm going to start my reread soon.

message 23: by Andy, Head of Read-a-thons (new) - rated it 4 stars

Andy | 9973 comments Mod
Marissa wrote: "20%
[spoilers removed]"

I totally forget they were so short! It shocked me.

message 24: by Andy, Head of Read-a-thons (new) - rated it 4 stars

Andy | 9973 comments Mod
C.P. wrote: "Marissa: [spoilers removed]"

I think each of the sections ended at the right point, I just remembered them being longer haha. It could also be because I read the physical book last time

message 25: by Andy, Head of Read-a-thons (new) - rated it 4 stars

Andy | 9973 comments Mod
Marissa wrote: "45%
[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 26: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8237 comments I need to start my reread of this soon! Sounds like I'm opposite of you, Andrea. I did the audio and now I'm going to do physical.

message 27: by Andy, Head of Read-a-thons (new) - rated it 4 stars

Andy | 9973 comments Mod
C.P. wrote: "I need to start my reread of this soon! Sounds like I'm opposite of you, Andrea. I did the audio and now I'm going to do physical."

I can confirm that either way the story is amazing haha

message 28: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8237 comments I haven't been able to stop thinking about this book since I read it, so I'm pretty sure I will agree.

message 29: by Andy, Head of Read-a-thons (new) - rated it 4 stars

Andy | 9973 comments Mod
25% (view spoiler)

50% (view spoiler)

75% (view spoiler)

Finished! (view spoiler)

message 30: by Andy, Head of Read-a-thons (new) - rated it 4 stars

Andy | 9973 comments Mod
C.P. wrote: "I haven't been able to stop thinking about this book since I read it, so I'm pretty sure I will agree."

I really liked this book, but Between Shades of Gray is my favorite by this author!

message 31: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8237 comments I have the same question!

message 32: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8237 comments Andrea wrote: "C.P. wrote: "I haven't been able to stop thinking about this book since I read it, so I'm pretty sure I will agree."

I really liked this book, but Between Shades of Gray is my favorite by this aut..."

This is actually my favorite of hers. I do love Between Shades of Gray and Out of the Easy though.

message 33: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8237 comments Part of my love of this may be the fact that I love the ocean and ships, so learning about the Wilhelm Gustloff was really interesting for me. But all of her stuff is so good and so well done.

message 34: by Andy, Head of Read-a-thons (new) - rated it 4 stars

Andy | 9973 comments Mod
C.P. wrote: "Part of my love of this may be the fact that I love the ocean and ships, so learning about the Wilhelm Gustloff was really interesting for me. But all of her stuff is so good and so well done."

I totally agree!! I can't wait for her to come out with another book!

message 35: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8237 comments Me too! I want to find more historical fiction to read, but she is one of the only ones I have found that does it so well.

message 36: by Andy, Head of Read-a-thons (new) - rated it 4 stars

Andy | 9973 comments Mod
If you want to be sad you can read The Librarian of Auschwitz by Antonio Iturbe . I read it before this one and my heart is dead lol

message 37: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8237 comments That's one I have been thinking of reading.

message 38: by Andy, Head of Read-a-thons (new) - rated it 4 stars

Andy | 9973 comments Mod
I enjoyed it a lot!!

Erica Paré | 1802 comments Started reading it last night. Have to day this group is challnging me to read book I would have never considered before, and they have all been great! So far i love how it bounces back between characters views.

Erica Paré | 1802 comments 25% in and I am loving it.
(view spoiler)

message 41: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8237 comments Good questions and observations, Erica! I will probably start my reread tonight.

Erica Paré | 1802 comments 50% (view spoiler)

message 43: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8237 comments I've only just started my reread, but I'm loving it already. Although I remember the sections being short, they felt longer in audio than they are so far.

Kind of wish this had chapter numbers as well.

Erica Paré | 1802 comments 80% I also wish there were chapter numbers to make it easier lol (view spoiler)

Erica Paré | 1802 comments 100% (view spoiler)

message 46: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8237 comments Glad you liked it, Erica!

message 47: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8237 comments I'm at 26% now and really liking this reread. (view spoiler)

message 48: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8237 comments 34% Rereading this makes it even more emotional for me. Nearly in tears already.

message 49: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8237 comments 55% (view spoiler)

message 50: by C.P. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 8237 comments 65% (view spoiler)

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.