The Hyphen Book-Club discussion

Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Grace (new)

Grace Mc | 62 comments Mod
Currently in sweltering heat atm- can you believe the year is half over? We've been doing so well but I know we can do even more! This month we'll be reading Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison! I've never read this book before and my copy looks hefty so it might take me a while- I'm also hoping to do more work on my podcast to get caught up- I have episodes planned on Barrack Obama, Octavia Butler, and Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie!

Anyone read this book before? What did you think?

I hope you're all well and ready for a great summer of reading!

message 2: by Neil (new)

Neil R. Coulter (ethnosax) Hi Grace! I'll join you for Invisible Man, but I'm on holiday right now, so it may be another week or two before I get into the book. Because I read it several years ago and still remember it pretty well, I hadn't planned on reading it this time. But having read these other novels that follow similar structures and themes, I'm now curious to re-read and see how this one looks.

It also helps that I found Cardon Webb's stellar covers for Ellison's books, and couldn't resist picking up a copy of Invisible Man in this edition. ;)

message 3: by Neil (new)

Neil R. Coulter (ethnosax) I don't know if anyone else got to this one yet, but I read it last month and highly recommend it--though probably not if you're already enduring mental strain. It's a lot to take in.

Happy to discuss it, if anyone else wants to. The review I wrote after reading it this time is here.

message 4: by Grace (new)

Grace Mc | 62 comments Mod
Neil wrote: "I don't know if anyone else got to this one yet, but I read it last month and highly recommend it--though probably not if you're already enduring mental strain. It's a lot to take in.

Happy to dis..."

I promise I'll get to it eventually! It is a tome!

message 5: by Rosalinda (new)

Rosalinda  (rosapal) I have been wanting to read this for awhile now; am looking forward to the group discussion.