Challenge Corner discussion

The Handmaid's Tale (The Handmaid's Tale, #1)
This topic is about The Handmaid's Tale
Let's Buddy! - Classics/Lit > The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood -> Restarting September 6th, 2019

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (new)

Felicia | 15005 comments Mod
Offred is a Handmaid in the Republic of Gilead. She may leave the home of the Commander and his wife once a day to walk to food markets whose signs are now pictures instead of words because women are no longer allowed to read. She must lie on her back once a month and pray that the Commander makes her pregnant, because in an age of declining births, Offred and the other Handmaids are valued only if their ovaries are viable. Offred can remember the years before, when she lived and made love with her husband, Luke; when she played with and protected her daughter; when she had a job, money of her own, and access to knowledge. But all of that is gone now...

Jamie Ch 3 (view spoiler)

Jamie Ch 12 (view spoiler)

Jamie Ch 17 (view spoiler)

Jamie Ch 19 (view spoiler)

Jamie Ch 21 (view spoiler)

Jamie Ch 27 (view spoiler)

Jamie Done (view spoiler)

message 9: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alaina (ameserole) | 63586 comments Mod

RESTARTING SEPTEMBER 6TH, 2019

Adrie Schutte | 318 comments Hi I might only start on monday, hope that is okay!!

Caroline | 2101 comments Adrie that is fine! The thread will definitely still be active by then. Looking forward to see what you think! This is a reread for me and I really enjoyed it the first time.

Damselflies | 456 comments Started/8% (view spoiler)

Adrie Schutte | 318 comments I am starting tonight!!

Quite excited

Adrie Schutte | 318 comments Wonderful!!! Welcome Sandra!!
I started last night.. but fell asleep 2 pages in!! I dont think that is a reflection on the book but on my tiredness. lol!

Damselflies | 456 comments It's more of a slow pace/slow burn book I would have to say from the first 15% so yes, not something you should read when you're really tired haha

Adrie Schutte | 318 comments I am 24% into book now. Its really good! So beautifully written.

favourite quotes so far is:
"We had our problems, how were we suppose to know we were happy!!"

Wow!! something for all of us to think about!! Its going so hectic in my life at the moment, but if i stop thinking about all the stuff I must still do.... I am honestly and truly happy!!

Another Quote
"I used to think of my body as an instruemt, of pleasure, or a means of transportation, or an implement for the accomplishment of my will. I could use it to run, push buttons of one sort of another, make things happen."

Loads of things to think about there. Have never even thought of my body except for when I am hungry..

Adrie Schutte | 318 comments Ladies!!! Oh my goodness!!

(view spoiler)

message 18: by Damselflies (last edited Sep 11, 2019 05:36PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Damselflies | 456 comments 31% (view spoiler)
32% (view spoiler)

Adrie Schutte | 318 comments 50%

I like the way she tells the story in the present and past at the same time!!

Adrie Schutte | 318 comments 92%

This book really brings out so many emotions.

(view spoiler)

Adrie Schutte | 318 comments I finished this morning!!

I completely agree with you Sandra!!!

Caroline | 2101 comments Chapter 12
(view spoiler)

Damselflies | 456 comments 42% (view spoiler)

Caroline | 2101 comments Chapter 21
(view spoiler)

Caroline | 2101 comments Chapter 29
(view spoiler)

Caroline | 2101 comments Chapter 38
(view spoiler)

Damselflies | 456 comments 67% (view spoiler)

Caroline | 2101 comments Finished!
(view spoiler)

message 29: by Damselflies (last edited Sep 24, 2019 12:21PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Damselflies | 456 comments 93% (view spoiler)
Finished Ah this was such a good read, I wish I would've read this sooner.