Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments PBT Decathlon (2015)
Honestly, I'm not sure how to review this book without giving certain things away. The Fifth Season is a fantasy novel that won the Hugo Award. The novel begins with an event that will result in the end of the world. There are a plethora of strong characters, especially strong women, lots of magic, and great world building.

I enjoyed the book and breezed through it in a day. Jemisin is a great writer and I've heard her speak many times about diversity in fantasy. It's nice to read a fantasy novel where the protagonist isn't a white male.

message 2: by annapi (last edited Jun 30, 2018 09:27AM) (new)

annapi | 5159 comments Don't stop here! This won the Hugo, and so did book 2. If book 3, which IMO elevated the series beyond the first two and just punches you with its brilliant conclusion, doesn't win this year it will be a crime!

BTW, how many stars?

message 3: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8428 comments Loved all three books in this series. Such a new spin on fantasy/sci-fi!

message 4: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Eek, 4 stars. Thanks Annapi. FYI your prize box is done! I received the last item today so I will mail it out Monday! I hope you like it.

Joanne and Anna, I will definitely be ready on with the series. I liked book 1 very much and need to see what happens. Glad to hear you both liked the series!!

message 5: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2671 comments Glad it was so good! I think it has been on my TBR since Anna recommended it - must get round to it soon. Definitely in the mood

message 6: by annapi (last edited Jun 30, 2018 11:06AM) (new)

annapi | 5159 comments Looking forward to the box, Jen!

For those interested, here is a thought-provoking entry from the author's blog: http://nkjemisin.com/2010/05/dont-put...

And if you are reading her Hundred Thousand Kingdoms books, she has a name pronunciation guide on the blog too.

message 7: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8428 comments annapi wrote: "Looking forward to the box, Jen!

For those interested, here is a thought-provoking entry from the author's blog: http://nkjemisin.com/2010/05/dont-put...

And..."

Loved this bite she said about "Black Fiction" and if it is a necessary category

“No. And the next person who rolls up in my blog talking about where black readers, writers, or characters belong is going to get popped in the mouth.”

message 8: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 3112 comments annapi wrote: "Looking forward to the box, Jen!

And..."

That is a terrific blog essay. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

message 9: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5159 comments You're welcome! She has an amazing talent.