Reading the Detectives discussion

Death in a White Tie (Roderick Alleyn, #7)
This topic is about Death in a White Tie
Ngaio Marsh Buddy Reads > Death in a White Tie

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susan | 10529 comments Mod
This is the general discussion thread for our July challenge read, Death in a White Tie, written by Ngaio Marsh and published in 1938.

Please do not post spoilers in this thread.

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 2181 comments I do think these books are improving the further into the series I go. I am willing to disregard the slushy love scenes as the rest of the book is worth reading. I just hope they don't crop up too much in later books.

Christmas Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 614 comments I have this one & hope to start in 3-4 days. :)

I think this was definitely my favourite so far.

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) | 9424 comments Mod
Must confess I haven't got very far with this as yet, largely because I'm reading it in a paperback and keep finding it easier to read on my Kindle at the moment. But I have enjoyed the opening.

I'm getting more deeply into this book now. Love some of the slang - I had to laugh at this phrase, "Described by footman as being 'nicely decorated but not drunk."

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 2181 comments Judy wrote: "I'm getting more deeply into this book now. Love some of the slang - I had to laugh at this phrase, "Described by footman as being 'nicely decorated but not drunk.""

Yes That's one to remember and use

Leslie | 592 comments While I retain a pretty clear memory of this, I think that I will reread it as part of this group read. If I recall correctly, Marsh started hitting her stride with Artists in Crime and this one...

message 9: by Susan (last edited Jul 01, 2018 10:59PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I definitely think she upped her game in Artists in Crime and this one is the best so far. When I read her biography, it seemed she did not take her writing too seriously, but, perhaps, as she started to make money from her writing, she decided it was more important to her?

message 10: by Judy (new) - rated it 5 stars

I’m about halfway through now and enjoying it a lot. Interesting to have a victim who a lot of people like, breaking away from the GA cliche of the victim nobody can stand! The glimpse of debs and coming out is also interesting.

The victim gave a new dimension, I agree, Judy. I also liked the setting, it was very well done. I loved the fact that Lady Alleyn was enjoying chaperoning her granddaughter too.

Christmas Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 614 comments Juststarted, loving the scene setting!

message 13: by Judy (new) - rated it 5 stars

I've watched the TV adaptation of this one now and enjoyed it - it kept pretty close to the book most of the time, except for making Troy have an art exhibition near the start to increase her role in the book, and also there was an extra twist towards the end which I won't go into!

I thought the cast was excellent, including a very young Samuel West as Donald and Diana Quick as "Donna". Patrick Malahide has also grown on me as Alleyn now.

Tara  | 831 comments I agree with the consensus that the books are getting better as the series moves along. I think that's partially due to more character development, and partially that Marsh seems to have dropped most of the slang vocabulary, which I found difficult to follow at times. This book also focuses on Alleyn's humanity, and even if he is personally effected by the murder, he still has to be a professional and find the killer.