Women's Classic Literature Enthusiasts discussion

Nominations > September 2018

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anastasia Kinderman, The Only (last edited Jun 30, 2018 07:00AM) (new)

Anastasia Kinderman | 670 comments Mod
Hello everyone, it's time for September nominations! This month's theme is "mystery". Please nominate a book that is at least 50 years old, written by a woman and centers around a mystery.
Nominations are limited to two per person, open 'til the 15th, and please state if you can lead or not. Thank you!

message 2: by Carol (last edited Jun 30, 2018 09:59AM) (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 707 comments I nominate The Hours Before Dawn, the 1960 Edgar Award winner by Celia Fremlin, and Gaudy Night by Dorothy L. Sayers. If either is selected, I can lead.

message 3: by Mizzou (last edited Jul 01, 2018 07:33AM) (new)

Mizzou | 177 comments My nomination is The Daughter of Time, by Josephine Tey, originally published in 1951. (I'd really rather not lead.)

message 4: by ☯Emily , The First (new)

☯Emily  Ginder | 1236 comments Mod
First, one I have read: Murder at the Vicarage, the first Miss Marple mystery by Agatha Christie. Second, one I have not read: Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon. I can lead either.

message 5: by Charlene (new)

Charlene Morris | 1278 comments Mod
May I nominate We Have Always Lived in the Castle (I haven't read it so am not sure it falls under mystery)?

My other nomination is The Horizontal Man.

I can lead.

message 6: by ☯Emily , The First (new)

I remember that We Have Always Lived in the Castle was more horror or gothic. But gothic probably is considered mystery.

message 7: by Charlene (new)

☯Emily wrote: "I remember that We Have Always Lived in the Castle was more horror or gothic. But gothic probably is considered mystery."

It is definitely hard to tell from the summary provided on Goodreads as to if it is mystery. So we can exclude it from September nominations.

message 8: by ☯Emily , The First (new)

Charlene wrote: "☯Emily wrote: "I remember that We Have Always Lived in the Castle was more horror or gothic. But gothic probably is considered mystery."

It is definitely hard to tell from the summary..."

We read it in another group in October to celebrate Halloween. I believe that was a mystery group. We'll let Anastasia decide (or we will kick the can down the road!)

message 9: by Anastasia Kinderman, The Only (new)

☯Emily wrote: "Charlene wrote: "☯Emily wrote: "I remember that We Have Always Lived in the Castle was more horror or gothic. But gothic probably is considered mystery."

It is definitely hard to tell..."

From the summary it does not seem like a mystery to me (although it does certainly look interesting!). Perhaps it would be a good nomination for October?

message 10: by Charlene (new)

A reminder that nominations ends on Sunday July 15.

message 11: by Anastasia Kinderman, The Only (new)

Last day for nominations!

message 12: by Charlene (new)

Only a couple more days for voting.

message 14: by Anastasia Kinderman, The Only (new)

Our September read will be Lady Audley's Secret. Who will be joining the read?