Crime Detective Mystery Thriller Group discussion

General Discussions > What Are Your Favorite Genres

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Be good to know what types of books people like to read in this group. Feel free to get this one started.

message 2: by Chris (new)

Chris Hmmmm I like suspense, mystery. Authors such as Deaver, Kellerman, Cornwall, etc.

message 3: by Betty (new)

Betty (bettylouise54) | 123 comments Hi Patrica, like you I find most of books discuss on this forum are ones I don't read. I like detection rather than violence. I have many favorite authors. Two that came mind today are Anne Perry. I read most of her books.Anne Perry
Another I read one by Dana Stabenow. I want to read more of her books. A Cold Day For Murder (Kate Shugak, #1) by Dana Stabenow Dana Stabenow

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Mystery, thrillers and horror. I do read a couple of YA, like Virals and Maximum Ride, that my kids read, though they are growing out of those now.

message 5: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I read so many things:

space opera, speculative fiction, romantic suspense, dystopian fiction, historical thrillers/mysteries, medical suspense, espionage thrillers, mysteries set in foreign countries, books set in the Pacific NW

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Chris wrote: "Hmmmm I like suspense, mystery. Authors such as Deaver, Kellerman, Cornwall, etc."

Great authors.

message 7: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 219 comments I'm pretty open to a lot of different types of books. Mystery, Horror, Adventure, Syfy, Historical fiction, Fantasy, Apocalyptic, Action saving the world type of books, some YA books are a good adult read too, Cozies. I apologize, there are so many genres that I don't know what to call some books. I find myself staying away from romance books. I don't mind if there is a romantic twist in a book, but don't care to just read about a couple, there needs to be a good story line surrounding them.

message 8: by Marian (new)

Marian Another here who likes to read different genre.I have always been like that,even as a kid.Im still the same ole,same ole,..lol!

message 9: by Wil (new)

Wil Dershimer (wildersh) | 61 comments Mystery for me!

message 10: by David (new)

David Blyth | 7 comments I love to read across the genres as well: Science Fiction, Fantasy, Crime, Thrillers, Westerns, Alternate History, Classic Fiction, History, Pulp Fiction of all genres, Biography and Autobiography

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm the same way. I'm posting more reviews for pulp fiction books in the hardboiled pulp fiction folder if you're interested David.

message 12: by David (new)

David Blyth | 7 comments Thanks for the heads up Ron. I'm interested in the noir detective fiction from the great pulp magazines such as 'Black Mask'; 'Detective Fiction Weekly'; 'Dime Detective Magazine', etc.

Altus Press have published quite a few great collections - I've recently begun to collect the Frederick Nebel Library as published by them. They do both ebooks and paper - hardback and paperback.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Manhunt is one of my favorites.

message 14: by Betty (new)

Betty (bettylouise54) | 123 comments What ever happened to the Nancy Bush thread I plan to comment and haven't seen it awhile

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Betty. It should be under the group reading folder. Below is a link. Be great to hear your comments.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 16: by MaryJo (new)

MaryJo Dawson | 120 comments It is snowing again, and Cold, which is supposed to last until New Years day, giving me a bit more time to chat on the discussion groups.

Personal reading material usually comes under heading of the old-fashioned detection mysteries, some cozies, occasional action/thrillers, biographies, and history.
Current authors I enjoy under detection genre would be Charles Todd, Jacqueline Winspear, and also Anne Perry.
Oh, plus my own, of course.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks MsG. I wasn't aware of this so this is good information. I'm still getting used to all this.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Mystery, thrillers and horror. Some fantasy or supernatural.

message 19: by Angela (new)

Angela (angiexxx) | 2 comments I tend to go more for thrillers, but I'm always looking to try other genres because overall I just love reading.

Recently I've read books by authors such as; David Baldacci, Stuart Macbride, Peter James, Tom Wood and Simon Kernick. In my opinion, all of the aforementioned are brilliant and I'm excited about seeking out other books by authors I haven't yet come across.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Sounds good Angela. I've read Baldacci and Kernick and enjoyed their books. Have to read Stuart Macbride this year.
Glad you're excited about seeking out new authors. Feel free to check out the showcase folders and see which authors you would like to vote for for a group read.

message 21: by Angela (new)

Angela (angiexxx) | 2 comments One of the things I especially like about Stuart Macbride books is that he adds humour into the mix. I really do recommend you try his Logan McRae series. The first is called Cold Granite and I'm quietly confident that you will enjoy it.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

I have two of his books so I guess I will be moving them up this year. Thanks.

message 23: by Mike (new)

Mike Wazowski (mikequist1) I like a good mystery, although I can never guess whodunit until the author does the reveal at the end of the book.

I really, really enjoy an exciting thriller no matter what the context of the story may be: crime, spies, legal, political, etc. For me, these are real page turners.

If the author can inject some humor into the story\characters, that's a big plus. I think that the Hit Man/Keller series by Lawrence Block is some of the funniest stuff out there. Also, Donald Westlake's The Hot Rock/Dortmunder series is a hoot.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

If you like psychological thrillers, you may want to check out that folder. You can find some good authors like John Rector, William Lashner, and Andrew Gross, just to name a few.

message 25: by Maina (new)

Maina (MainaNdugo) | 5 comments I love reading crime based on drug dealers similar towards modern type drug dealers like Breaking Bad and Gang related t.v series

message 26: by Chris (new)

Chris Sometimes I read whatever grabs my interest. Never thought I would like the Hunger Games but I thoroughly enjoyed the 1st and 2nd book, 3rd book was okay. Now i have to read the divergent series

message 27: by Olivia "So many books--so little time."" (last edited Aug 01, 2015 09:36AM) (new)

Olivia "So many books--so little time."" | 41 comments My favorite genres are thrillers, horror, mysteries, suspense, science fiction, dark fantasy, dystopian fiction, and historical fiction.

message 28: by L.A. (new)

L.A. Kent | 88 comments Psychological crime mystery for me.

message 29: by Paula (new)

Paula Adams (goodreadscompadams57) | 94 comments L.A. wrote: "Psychological crime mystery for me."

I agree. These are the best.

message 30: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Michael | 46 comments For me, mystery, fantasy, sci-fi and action/adventure are at the top of the list for me. Thrillers can be good, not so much on horror.

I don't like grim/dark and very graphic violence, which seems to be a trend with many of the currently popular mystery writers.

I also have a few "holdovers" from earlier favorites that I still enjoy re-reading ... period romances by Georgette Heyer, gothic romances by Barabara Michaels, westerns by Louis L'Amour plus some of the classics I read as a child ... Little Women, The Secret Garden, the Black Stallion books by Walter Farley.

message 31: by MaryJo (new)

MaryJo Dawson | 120 comments Sharon wrote: "For me, mystery, fantasy, sci-fi and action/adventure are at the top of the list for me. Thrillers can be good, not so much on horror.

I don't like grim/dark and very graphic violence, which seems..."

Sharon,
The books coming into our used bookstore remind me how much I used to enjoy books that border on Barbara Michaels....
Philippa Carr, Victoria Holt, Mary Stewart, ring a bell?

message 32: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Michael | 46 comments MaryJo wrote: "The books coming into our used bookstore remind me how much I used to enjoy books that border on Barbara Michaels....
"

Yes, all those are familiar. I read those, plus Phyllis A. Whitney around the same time I was reading the Barbara Michaels books, but for some reason Michaels has remained a favorite, one I can go back to, probably because many of her main characters were mature, not late teens/early 20s or there were older characters as well as younger ones.

message 33: by Ramla Zareen (new)

Ramla Zareen Ahmad | 19 comments Hi, I read a wide variety of genres but my favourites are:

--Golden-Age Mystery
--Cozy Mystery
--Historical Romance
--Contemporary Romance
--Romantic Comedy
--Chick-Lit

message 34: by Chris (new)

Chris Sharon wrote: "MaryJo wrote: "The books coming into our used bookstore remind me how much I used to enjoy books that border on Barbara Michaels....
"

Yes,..."

Victoria Holt rings a bell. Ahhh the classics.

message 35: by Marion (new)

Marion Horton | 1 comments Hi. I like to read mainly UK detective novels which have a psychological/forensic theme.. I have enjoyed Luke Delaney, Mark Pearson among others.
However, I recently read the :girl on the Train" and "You".
I have read Patricia Cornwell of course.....will read anything that makes me believe I'm right there in the story!

message 36: by Reacherfan (new)

Reacherfan | 17 comments I read many genres including:

Golden age mystery
PI
Police procedural
Humorous mystery
some cozy
paranormal mystery
Urban Fantasy
Steampunk mystery
Epic fantasy
Paranormal romance - humorous