Reading 1001 discussion

The Bridge on the Drina (Bosnian Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about The Bridge on the Drina
1001 book reviews > The Bridge on the Drina by Ivo Andrić

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen | 111 comments 4.5* - This is a book to savour, it covers three centuries and slowly builds the rich fabric of a community through glimpses into various characters and episodes over time. The bridge is the obvious vehicle for holding this story together, and it features beautifully as a personality in its own right. Some parts lulled for me, but overall this is gorgeous writing and the author provides deep insight into a people a history I knew little about.

Diane  | 2051 comments Rating: 4 stars

A beautifully written book about the history of the town of Visegrad, Bosnia. The town possesses an imposing bridge that has spanned the river for centuries. In this book, the bridge is almost a character, having witnessed many events in the town's history. The bridge's violent history continued long after the book was published, with thousands of people dying on and around it during the Bosnian War.

Book Wormy | 2078 comments Mod
Rating 5 stars

I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a history of the bridge’s construction and usage up until 1914. The book also provides background information about what is going on in Bosnia & Serbia throughout the bridge’s history. It shows the different religions and cultures surrounding the bridge and how they interconnect and collide with the bridge as a central focal point.

Told in (almost) linear vignettes the reader is taken on a journey from the point when the bridge is first imagined to the shelling it suffered at the outbreak of WW1. My favourite vignettes are the ones that deal with superstitions surrounding events on the bridge which are also shown in a non-superstitious light allowing the reader to decide for themselves what the truth is.

One warning – there is an intense scene of torture near the beginning of the book concerned with sabotage to the bridge. I have to say this is not for the faint-hearted.

Overall a fascinating look at a place and culture I know little about