Of Wonderland Book Club discussion

July - AWESOME WORLDS > Discussion: Awesome Worlds

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Inge (omgitsinge) | 1361 comments Mod
Here are some discussion questions to get the conversation started.

What is your favorite element of an awesome world? Its exotic nature? Beautiful cities? People with special powers?
I'm always attracted by how the magic system works, but also the flora and fauna. Is there a lot of nature, what kind of animals are there, and how do the people interact with them?

Which world would you like to visit? Where would you like to live?
I always have to mention Hogwarts because of reasons, but I'd also love to visit Rivendell, Camp Half-Blood, and Red London. When I finally settle down after all my exploring, I'll do so in Hobbiton. Those hobbit holes look super cosy and they are filled with food and glorious reading nooks. I think I'd be happy there.

Which world wouldn't you want to visit?
I mean, I'm pretty happy not living in Panem? I also wouldn't last two seconds in Westeros or the dinosaur continent Eurasia from The Extinction Trials.

Name an author who's a master of world building.
Brandon Sanderson's books always start quite slow, but that's because he's busy building amazing, intricate worlds. I also love Marissa Meyer's world-building, and I feel half obligated to mention J.K. Rowling and V.E. Schwab.

What type of world do you find most interesting?
I'm always fascinated by the history behind dystopian worlds - how their world turned to ruins and what rules they've implemented to ensure survival.

message 2: by Katie (new)

Katie Fowler (katiefowlerhawkins) What is your favorite element of an awesome world? It's exotic nature? Beautiful cities? People with special powers?

I geek out a little at the technology of future worlds. I don't know if anyone remembers the points system in Antarctica in Marie Lu's Champion? Where life is almost like a game with rewards and consequences - I wanted a whole book about that society! (Warcross gave us something kind of similar)

Which world would you like to visit? Where would you like to live? Which world wouldn't you want to visit? I wouldn't want to live in the words of most of the books I read since I lean heavily post-apocalyptic and dystopia but I would love to visit the world of the The Magicians (probably based more on the TV Show than the book though).

Hugh Howey did a pretty fantastic job in Wool Omnibus and Sand

What type of world do you find most interesting?I'm always fascinated by the history behind dystopian worlds - how their world turned to ruins and what rules they've implemented to ensure survival. SAME!!

message 3: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina (thebooklovingpanda) | 1 comments What is your favorite element of an awesome world? Its exotic nature? Beautiful cities? People with special powers?
Mainly how the general systems work - politics, magic, trade, social groups etc. and also language and culture! I really like it if it's shown (or even briefly mentioned) how all of them developed over time.

Definitely Hogwarts, also Narnia, Middle Earth, the Great Network (from the Railhead series), Camp Half-Blood, Camp Jupiter...oh so many. I'd probably want to live in the Burrow!

Erm, Westeros. Life expectancy and all...

The world (actually, galaxy and beyond) Philip Reeve created in his Railhead series was amazing. I also LOVED the world of the Six of Crows duology by Leigh Bardugo, especially when the different sounds of differing languages are described. And the world building in one of my childhood favourites, the Warriors series (beginning with Into the Wild) was i n c r e d i b l e

Probably sci-fi or a world with lots of magic in it! I also like well-built political systems because that allows for some pretty interesting espionage/conspiracy shenanigans.

message 4: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

Arika (onceuponabookishnerd) | 239 comments Mod
What is your favorite element of an awesome world? Its exotic nature? Beautiful cities? People with special powers?
Definitely have to say the magic/special powers that make up the world. I love how each author does its own spin how the magic or special powers effect not only how we see each person or being but also how their country/world is ran. The social groups and politics it creates.

Definitely have to say Hogwarts on this one too! But I also would like to visit Narnia, Camp Half-Blood, Middle Earth (Lord of the Rings), Ketterdam (Six of Crows), The Night Court (A Court of Thorns and Roses), Red London, The Paper Magician World, and I could go on and on.

Westeros (yes I agree with everyone, too many opportunities to die), Panem (cause I wouldn't want to be put in the Hunger Games) and probably a few other crazy ones I can't think of.

A couple off the top of my head would be J.K. Rowling (of course), Leigh Bardugo, J.R.R. Tolkien and Sarah J. Maas.

Definitely magical worlds but also I love the futuristic sci-fi and also post-apocalyptic. Something that is different then the world we live in. I love reading books that take me to a new and exciting place!