YA Addicted Book Club discussion

Past Monthly Reads > JULY BOTM - Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Kayleigh {K-Books} (kayley_12) | 1952 comments Mod
So after a wonderful 66 of you voted, the winner and our group read for July is....

Red Queen (Red Queen, #1) by Victoria Aveyard
This is a world divided by blood - red or silver. The Reds are commoners, ruled by a Silver elite in possession of god-like superpowers. And to Mare Barrow, a seventeen-year-old Red girl from the poverty-stricken Stilts, it seems like nothing will ever change. That is until she finds herself working in the Silver Palace. Here, surrounded by the people she hates the most, Mare discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy the balance of power. Fearful of Mare's potential, the Silvers hide her in plain view, declaring her a long-lost Silver princess, now engaged to a Silver prince. Despite knowing that one misstep would mean her death, Mare works silently to help the Red Guard, a militant resistance group, and bring down the Silver regime. But this is a world of betrayal and lies, and Mare has entered a dangerous dance - Reds against Silvers, prince against prince, and Mare against her own heart.

I've had this on my shelf for forever so I am super excited about this one. Hope you are all going to join me in this one.

message 2: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 4940 comments Mod
I want to read this too! I have put it on hold at the library so I will see when I get it.

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments Yay! I read this book a couple years ago and can’t wait to read it again!

message 4: by Megan (new)

Megan Oh no :( I really hate this book... I hope the rest of you have fun reading it! Maybe the august book of the month will be more my thing.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm in, read it a few years ago and loved it. It's the perfect time for a reread, I just got a hold on the Glass Sword from the library.

message 6: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Megan wrote: "Oh no :( I really hate this book... I hope the rest of you have fun reading it! Maybe the august book of the month will be more my thing."

Megan, sorry to hear that. I’ll be sending a message out mid-July with the thread where you can nominate some books. Hope next months is more your thing :)

message 7: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 5 comments I bought this book a few weeks ago and I’m so excited to read it this month!

message 8: by Bree (new)

Bree (bookishlybree) | 9 comments Awe, I just finished reading it at the end of May, but I'd still love to join in on the conversation if that's okay. I really liked it :)

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Ahm.. am I welcomed to read this with y'all c:

message 10: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (last edited Jul 01, 2018 02:24PM) (new)

Everyone is welcome to join in. If you’ve read it you’re welcome to join in the chat. Looking forward to chatting with you all about it.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I’m actually reading it next well tonight

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I’ve started 😍

message 13: by Jo (new)

Jo Elliott | 1590 comments I read this one a couple of years back, but I hope you guys enjoy it.

message 14: by Abi (new)

Abi | Scribbles and Stories (scribblesandstories) I bought these books last week, so this is really good timing!

message 15: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Happy reading everyone.
I won’t be able to start it until the middle of th month as I’m working on books for the book con I’m at in a few weeks.

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments Kayleigh {K-Books} wrote: "Happy reading everyone.
I won’t be able to start it until the middle of th month as I’m working on books for the book con I’m at in a few weeks."

I may read in the middle of the month too. Right now I am reading the SOTM book, but I would really like to read the whole Red Queen series.

message 17: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Same Heather.
I'm maybe planning to read YALC books for the next 1-2 weeks, then read Heir of Fire and then Red Queen series.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Yay I’m 38 pages in

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments Sydni wrote: "Yay I’m 38 pages in"

How are you enjoying it so far Sydni?

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I love it but I been so busy with school work 😪

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments Sydni wrote: "I love it but I been so busy with school work 😪"

I have too many review books that I need to get through first. I did read it a few years ago and remember loving it!

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

I am loving it so far. I am in 70+ pages in and it is going so far. I’m also listening on audio (kinda like read along) and the cds each have 23 tracks however there are 10 CDs in the pack I’m on the third now

message 23: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Glad you’re enjoying it Sydni.
I can’t wait to read it in a few weeks.

message 24: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Allsopp I have read this recently and the rest of the series to date. Unfortunately I am not a huge fan of the protagonist Mare. There is an overwhelming element of self absorption that is over the top by even normal YA standards. The predictability and repetitive language grated also.
However, they are a series that you still feel the need to read and will love to hate or just love so worth a read either way. The reason for reading the remainder of the books was 1) having committed already, I always find the need to see where it’s going 2) the hope and wont that it may just start to improve!

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments Tanya wrote: "I have read this recently and the rest of the series to date. Unfortunately I am not a huge fan of the protagonist Mare. There is an overwhelming element of self absorption that is over the top by ..."

I have only read the first and I remember really enjoying it, although that was several years ago and my tastes may have changed since then? I am hoping that I will still enjoy it as much since I just bought book 2 to continue the series after I re-read the first one:) BTW, I cannot stand repetitive language in my books...maybe I didn't notice it first time around??

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll be starting my reread in a few days, but I must have missed the repetitive language too. I just remember enjoying it. Maybe that makes the difference, if you're not enjoying a book you're probably more likely to notice those kinds of things

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I’m 50% finished with the book and I love it

message 28: by Keiria (new)

Keiria (kwegmann) | 101 comments Just finished chapter 4 (14% done) and I'm enjoying it. It's very intense & reminds me of The Hunger Games.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I’m on chapter 22 and I’m enjoying it still

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Finishing up 🤗 what a fantastic book this has been

message 31: by Keiria (new)

Keiria (kwegmann) | 101 comments I'm getting ready to start chapter 16. I think Julian Jacos might be my favorite character. We'll see if that changes.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

My favorite is Cal

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll be starting this week, but I've already read it. Though I don't remember enough to say who my favorite is :p

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments My order from Book Outlet should be coming sometime the week and then I will have this book and can start re-reading it again! I ordered book 2 as well so that I can just keep going and finish the series straight away!

message 35: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

I will be starting it in the next week or two. Can't wait.

message 36: by Keiria (new)

Keiria (kwegmann) | 101 comments finished Red Queen (Red Queen, #1) by Victoria Aveyard last night and immediately started Glass Sword (Red Queen, #2) by Victoria Aveyard . I could not put Red Queen down!

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments Keiria wrote: "finished Red Queen (Red Queen, #1) by Victoria Aveyard last night and immediately started Glass Sword (Red Queen, #2) by Victoria Aveyard. I could not put Red Queen down!"

I can't wait! My copy of Red Queen is suppose to arrive on Thursday. I already have Glass Sword waiting in the wings to be started:)

message 38: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

I have 4 more books to read before I can start it. I finish work on Friday for 4 weeks though so hopefully will get through those quite quickly.

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments I finally was able to start Red Queen. I just finished chapter 8 and I Am Loving It!!! I feel like I may be skimming a little since I have read it once before and am trying to just remember everything that happened!

message 40: by Keiria (new)

Keiria (kwegmann) | 101 comments heather wrote: "I finally was able to start Red Queen. I just finished chapter 8 and I Am Loving It!!! I feel like I may be skimming a little since I have read it once before and am trying to just remember everyth..."

and there's a lot that happens! At the beginning of Glass Swords she's thinking about everything she's been through (basically a mini recap of Red Queen) and she makes a comment about how everything happened within 7 days.

message 41: by Sophi (last edited Jul 12, 2018 12:45PM) (new)

Sophi (sophibooks01) | 16 comments I've read the book in one discussion I mentioned that I am currently on the last one. Is that ok?

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments S wrote: "I've read the book in one discussion I mentioned that I am currently on the last one. Is that ok?"

absolutely!!! Join in on our discussion of sorts.

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments Like I said, I just started reading but I HEART CAL! Just saying:)

message 44: by Sophi (new)

Sophi (sophibooks01) | 16 comments Cal is life my fav is Farley though

message 45: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 5 comments I’ll be staring this book once I’ve finished my current read. I’m really excited to start it!

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments I am about halfway and am adoring both Cal and Maven and now I am having a hard time figuring out which to trust! I also cannot stomach Queen Elora either!

message 47: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Has anyone listened to the audio edition of this one? As I am preparing for my upcoming book con, I've been reading books by authors attending and feel like I am running out of time to read Red Queen so wondering whether to get the audio edition to listen to when I'm just doing house stuff or walking my dog. Just wondering what the narrator is like.

message 48: by Deenah8401 (new)

Deenah8401 | 1 comments I’m just waiting for the movie!!! I really hope there will be one....😩

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments I FINISHED!!!!!!

And I jumped right into the second book because.....that cliffhanger! I had to know what happened!

(view spoiler)

message 50: by Maria (new)

Maria Vermisoglou | 1 comments It was good until the last pages. She butchered the ending! I am not sure I'll be reading the 2nd one.

« previous 1