Of Wonderland Book Club discussion

Strange the Dreamer (Strange the Dreamer, #1)
This topic is about Strange the Dreamer
July - AWESOME WORLDS > Buddy read: Strange the Dreamer

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new) - rated it 3 stars

Inge (omgitsinge) | 1361 comments Mod
This month's buddy read is Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor! This author is a true word magician and the worlds she creates are truly enchanting. With the release of Muse of Nightmares upon us, this is the perfect time for a reread or a first read. Works great in combination with #TomeTopple as well!

Please keep spoilers under spoiler tags! You can do this by typing < spoiler>SPOILER HERE< /spoiler> and removing the spaces. Thank you. ♥

Caitie (caitiegirlreads) (caitiegirlreads) | 7 comments My hold just came in at the library... picking up tomorrow and starting as soon as I finish The Belles!

message 3: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new) - rated it 3 stars

Caitie (caitiegirlreads) wrote: "My hold just came in at the library... picking up tomorrow and starting as soon as I finish The Belles!"

Oh, I really enjoyed The Belles as well. Happy reading, Caitie!

Has anyone already started? Thoughts? :)

message 4: by N (new) - rated it 5 stars

N | 14 comments I’ve started! I’m about 380ish pages into it, so I should finish it tonight. I’ll give some thoughts afterwards.

Katie Fowler (katiefowlerhawkins) I just finished the book I was reading so I've got the audiobook queued up for tonight! Very excited to participate in my first buddy read =)

Natalie Ciampichini I'm going to try to secure the audiobook from my library. This one's been on my reading list for a while now, so this will push me to fit it in after I finish A Reaper at the Gates!

Katie Fowler (katiefowlerhawkins) I'm a short way into Part Two and I'm still having trouble getting into this. Is it just me??

message 8: by N (new) - rated it 5 stars

N | 14 comments The book is really slow paced for the first 200 pages because it’s mostly world building and character development (which I’m down for because Lazlo is so interesting). BUT when you do reach the second half of the book, there’s a lot of action and it’s reaaaaaally fast paced (debatably too fast imho).

Caitie (caitiegirlreads) (caitiegirlreads) | 7 comments I’m shortly into Part II - the first couple chapter were a bit weird and I wasn’t sure where it all was going so I went and read more about the synopsis!

Now and I’m very much in love with Lazlo... and intrigued by the blue girl. Hmmmmm. This is getting me out of my book hopping/slump!

message 10: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new) - rated it 3 stars

Katie wrote: "I'm a short way into Part Two and I'm still having trouble getting into this. Is it just me??"

Esra wrote: "The book is really slow paced for the first 200 pages because it’s mostly world building and character development (which I’m down for because Lazlo is so interesting). BUT when you do reach the se..."

Agreed - I had some trouble getting into this as well which is why my rating is lower. It takes a lot of time to set things up. But the second half is much better. ^_^

message 11: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new) - rated it 3 stars

Caitie (caitiegirlreads) wrote: "I’m shortly into Part II - the first couple chapter were a bit weird and I wasn’t sure where it all was going so I went and read more about the synopsis!

Now and I’m very much in love with Lazlo....."

Aw, that's brilliant that it's getting you out of your slump, Caitie! I'm happy to hear that. I'm slumping this month too. :(

message 12: by Katie (last edited Jul 12, 2018 02:41PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Katie Fowler (katiefowlerhawkins) I'm almost finished now and I have to agree with you guys - it definitely picks up!

message 13: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new) - rated it 3 stars

Katie wrote: "I'm almost finished now and I have to agree with you guys - it definitely picks up!"

Looks like we gave it the same rating!

Janelle Gabay | 9 comments At a point now, two thirds, where I can't put it down. Love Lazlo and Sarai. Enjoy the two perspectives of the same event and the further perspectives within each side. Laini makes me empathize with even the worst of them.

Natalie Ciampichini I'm taking the train back home from our annual summer party at work and bought my copy. I'm hoping to make a dent over the next 5 hours or so. I just finished chapter 2 and like that Lazlo reminds me of my own protagonist, so I am intrigued.

message 16: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janelle wrote: "At a point now, two thirds, where I can't put it down. Love Lazlo and Sarai. Enjoy the two perspectives of the same event and the further perspectives within each side. Laini makes me empathize wit..."

Ah, that's a good place to be! Hope you enjoy watching it all unravel ^_^

Natalie wrote: "I'm taking the train back home from our annual summer party at work and bought my copy. I'm hoping to make a dent over the next 5 hours or so. I just finished chapter 2 and like that Lazlo reminds ..."

How did you manage? I think 5 hours in and you'll only have made a small dent still, it's quite a tome :D

Cathy I already happened to be reading this since last month, so yay, I can finally join in with a buddy read again!

Agree with almost everyone else that it took quite awhile for me to get into the book, but then once I did, I suddenly couldn't stop reading! I ended up really liking the book, Lazlo in particular, and am looking forward to the sequel!

Has anyone else read Laini Taylor's Daughter of Smoke and Bone series? The themes are very similar, right?

message 18: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cathy wrote: "I already happened to be reading this since last month, so yay, I can finally join in with a buddy read again!

Agree with almost everyone else that it took quite awhile for me to get into the boo..."

I've read the first one of the DOSAB series, I own the second one so I'll get into it sooner rather than later. Amazing world-building in there as well!

Janelle Gabay | 9 comments Inge wrote: "Janelle wrote: "At a point now, two thirds, where I can't put it down. Love Lazlo and Sarai. Enjoy the two perspectives of the same event and the further perspectives within each side. Laini makes ..."

I did enjoy the unraveling. But the end...pulling my hair out. She's brilliant at the tug of war, the forbidden love, the just beyond the reach.

Natalie Ciampichini Inge wrote: "How did you manage? I think 5 hours in and you'll only have made a small dent still, it's quite a tome :D."

I got through the first two parts on the train, so not too bad. I agree though, five hours isn't nearly enough time to get through much!

Today I just got to the part where Lazlo and Sarai "meet" for the first time. Finally! And I'm equal parts creeped out/intrigued by Minya...

message 21: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new) - rated it 3 stars

Janelle wrote: "Inge wrote: "Janelle wrote: "At a point now, two thirds, where I can't put it down. Love Lazlo and Sarai. Enjoy the two perspectives of the same event and the further perspectives within each side...."

Ha, yes! I completely agree.

message 22: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new) - rated it 3 stars

Natalie wrote: "Inge wrote: "How did you manage? I think 5 hours in and you'll only have made a small dent still, it's quite a tome :D."

I got through the first two parts on the train, so not too bad. I agree tho..."

I honestly love Minya, but I'm a sucker for a good villain. :o)

Caitie (caitiegirlreads) (caitiegirlreads) | 7 comments Finished it before the month was out... I have a feeling that timing wasn’t right for me to read it. I should have loved it in all its weird and vibrant glory, but I struggled. I have to admit I skimmed sooooo much. It may have been too slow and deep of a book to read in the middle of our move.

I think Muse it Nightmares will bring it all home for me and I'm looking forward too it. I also have a feeling if I reread it or listen to the audiobook I'll love it more.

message 24: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new) - rated it 3 stars

Caitie (caitiegirlreads) wrote: "Finished it before the month was out... I have a feeling that timing wasn’t right for me to read it. I should have loved it in all its weird and vibrant glory, but I struggled. I have to admit I sk..."

It was honestly such a long book, if it had been 100 pages less I would have enjoyed it more, I think. You do end up skimming. Thanks for joining this buddy read! :)