Of Wonderland Book Club discussion

July - AWESOME WORLDS > How are you enjoying your books?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Inge, Mad Hatter (last edited Jun 30, 2018 04:11AM) (new)

Inge (omgitsinge) | 1361 comments Mod
Use this thread to discuss the book(s) you're currently reading for the book club. Are you enjoying them? How much fun is (re)discovering this world?

Please keep spoilers under spoiler tags! You can do this by typing < spoiler>SPOILER HERE< /spoiler> and removing the spaces. Thank you. ♥

message 2: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
So for TomeTopple, I decided to read The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle because I really enjoy a good mystery. And while you wouldn't expect it, the old castle in which the mystery takes place is better described than I thought! The overgrown garden, the crumbling walls, the dizzying ballroom...and then there is the killer 0_0

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments I totally forgot to mention that I had to put down Assassin's Quest because the story is moving along soooo slowly. So instead I decided to pick up a book that I only got last week: The Night Circus. I'm about 60% into the book and at first I found it a bit confusing, but that might be because I was mostly listening to the audiobook. I've gotten more invested in the story since, but I think this is the kind of book you need to read twice to fully grasp it :-)

message 4: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Natulcien wrote: "I totally forgot to mention that I had to put down Assassin's Quest because the story is moving along soooo slowly. So instead I decided to pick up a book that I only got last week:..."

I've heard good things about The Night Circus, so I hope you enjoy it too Natulcien (and that it became less confusing in the end, haha)

message 5: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
This weekend I finished The Obelisk Gate, the second book in The Broken Earth series and...it sadly really let me down. Every little happened expect during the last 20%, and most of the story was spend on info-dump. What a bummer, especially since the first book started so strong.
Let's hope the last book in the series redeems itself!

message 6: by Inge, Mad Hatter (new)

Inge (omgitsinge) | 1361 comments Mod
Natulcien wrote: "I totally forgot to mention that I had to put down Assassin's Quest because the story is moving along soooo slowly. So instead I decided to pick up a book that I only got last week:..."

The Night Circus definitely requires your attention because of all the time hops. But it's such a gorgeous and dreamy atmosphere. <3

message 7: by Janelle (new)

Janelle Gabay | 9 comments Love love the Night Circus. Read it a while ago, but the setting is everything. I'm loving Strange the Dreamer too. I can see why many think it's slow to begin but I enjoyed it because the world is so fresh. Interesting take on magical beings/Gods. Can't wait to see how it plays out.

message 8: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

Arika (onceuponabookishnerd) | 239 comments Mod
I started listening to the book Neverwhere. This is my first Neil Gaiman. So far it is interesting but at times it doesn't always hold my attention. Though I do have to say, Neil Gaiman is a good narrator.

message 9: by Arika, Dormouse (new)

Arika (onceuponabookishnerd) | 239 comments Mod
Oh and I am a couple chapters into Morning Star and I forgot how detailed this world is. Though this book definitely rushes you right back into the action pack and goriness of this series. I really want to take a day where I can just sit and read it but I am only getting to sit for an hour or so which can be frustrating when reading this type of detailed book.

message 10: by Natulcien_reads (new)

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments Janelle wrote: "Love love the Night Circus. Read it a while ago, but the setting is everything. I'm loving Strange the Dreamer too. I can see why many think it's slow to begin but I enjoyed it because the world is..."

Inge wrote: "Natulcien wrote: "I totally forgot to mention that I had to put down Assassin's Quest because the story is moving along soooo slowly. So instead I decided to pick up a book that I o..."

Puck wrote: "Natulcien wrote: "I totally forgot to mention that I had to put down Assassin's Quest because the story is moving along soooo slowly. So instead I decided to pick up a book that I o..."

I finished The Night Circus and even though I enjoyed it, I didn't love it as much as I thought I would :-(

I've read a bit more from Assassin's Quest and I also started The Invasion of the Tearling.

message 11: by Natulcien_reads (new)

Natulcien_reads | 257 comments I'm pleasantly surprised by The Invasion of the Tearling because I'm enjoying this a lot more than I thought I would. The glimpses that we get from the pre-crossing world are really fascinating and it's cool to read about a world that has actually gone back to a time without electricity and all the modern stuff of the pre-crossing world a.k.a. our world.

message 12: by Puck, Knave of Hearts (last edited Jul 20, 2018 12:41AM) (new)

Puck | 981 comments Mod
Natulcien wrote: "I'm pleasantly surprised by The Invasion of the Tearling because I'm enjoying this a lot more than I thought I would. The glimpses that we get from the pre-crossing world are really..."

That does sound like a really cool world! The Tearling series are on my TBR list as well (although I've heard mixed reviews about the last book), because I've heard very good things about the world-building and the main character.

I started The Stone Sky today and although I didn't really like the second book, I can already tell this finale is going to hurt.
I can't wait to read more :D