Seasons of Reading Readathons discussion

Introduce yourself

Comments Showing 1-50 of 72 (72 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Michelle (last edited Apr 12, 2020 06:40PM) (new)

Michelle Stockard Miller (michelleamiller) | 415 comments Mod
Welcome to the group!

If you feel so inclined, say hi and tell us a bit about yourself.

I'm Michelle, your moderator, and the founder of Seasons of Reading. My basic bio...Mom of two teen boys, avid reader, writer, book blogger, cat lover, owner of a massive library, Freethinker.

To go more in depth, I've been book blogging for nine years. My main website/blog is True Book Addict. I also have a horror blog and a Christmas blog. Of course, I'm the founder of Seasons of Reading and I host all the readathons! lol In addition to that, I have a community site for reading challenges I host called Gather Together and Read AND I have two reading groups here on Goodreads, TuesBookTalk and Lit Collective (also, a group for my fantasy challenge, The Fantasy Project). On top of all that, I'm an aspiring author working on my first novel.

I'll leave links to my website and blogs here in case you might want to visit. =^o^=

True Book Addict http://www.truebookaddict.com/
Castle Macabre http://castlemacabre.blogspot.com/
Christmas Spirit http://truexmasspirit.blogspot.com/
Michelle Stockard Miller, Writer http://stories-inside.blogspot.com/
Seasons of Reading http://seasonsreading.blogspot.com/
Gather Together and Read http://www.gathertogetherread.com/

message 2: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 438 comments Hello! I've come from the FB group! Been a member over there for a year? Something like that.

Elyse, 31, married with 2 dogs and 2 cats, from New Hampshire. Work full-time as an administrative assistant at a steel fabrication company. I read about 200 books a year, some years a little more and some a little less. I'm on track to read over 225 this year which will be the most I've ever read in a year! Audiobooks have boosted my number incredibly, especially when my commute went from a half hour one way to an hour when we moved 2 years ago. There's basically nothing I enjoy more than reading a good book, no matter the format or genre! I read everything and anything and will take a chance on new to me genres. I've started getting into graphic novels over the past year as well.

Feel free to add me on here, I love new book friends! :)

--Elyse

message 3: by Gina (new)

Gina Baratono (gina-baratono) Hi and thank you for the invitation to join!
I have a few passions in my life. Obviously, reading, and then there's cats (I rescue), and photography, which I've been doing since I was a kid, way back in Fred Flintstone's time. I am a supporter of animal adoption and saving them all from euthanasia. I am also a passionate supporter of literacy and the importance of libraries, which are grossly underfunded and underappreciated. I got my love of reading from my mom (thanks Mom!) which is a great legacy. I have passed that legacy down to my son. Mom has been gone since 1999 but we read on. In this world, knowledge is power. I will never stop thirsting for knowledge, and I continue to find magic in all books. And please, don't shop. Adopt. Again, thank you.

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Elyse wrote: "Hello! I've come from the FB group! Been a member over there for a year? Something like that.

Elyse, 31, married with 2 dogs and 2 cats, from New Hampshire. Work full-time as an administrative ass..."

I honestly thought we were already friends on here! Sent you a request. :)

message 5: by Cobwebby Reading Reindeer Remember Ukraine 🇺🇦 (last edited Jun 30, 2018 01:28PM) (new)

Cobwebby Reading Reindeer Remember Ukraine 🇺🇦  (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 87 comments So GOOD to have a Seasons of Reading group here!
Mallory / The Haunted Reading Room, passionately voracious reader for over 6 decades, reviewer online since April 3, 2007, NetGalley aficionado. Read widely but above all love:
Horror
Science Fiction and Speculative Fiction
Cozy Mystery
British Police Procedural
Mysteries
Science (, especially Space)

message 6: by Michelle (last edited Jun 30, 2018 04:54PM) (new)

Elyse wrote: "Hello! I've come from the FB group! Been a member over there for a year? Something like that.

Elyse, 31, married with 2 dogs and 2 cats, from New Hampshire. Work full-time as an administrative ass..."

200 a year!!! That's my dream. :) First I have to stop being such a magnificent time waster. lol

Glad to have you joining us here too!

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Gina wrote: "Hi and thank you for the invitation to join!
I have a few passions in my life. Obviously, reading, and then there's cats (I rescue), and photography, which I've been doing since I was a kid, way b..."

Welcome, Gina! I love what you said. Knowledge IS power! I also got my love of reading from my parents.

message 8: by Michelle (new)

July Is The Shadow Out of Time wrote: "So GOOD to have a Seasons of Reading group here!
Mallory / The Haunted Reading Room, passionately voracious reader for over 6 decades, reviewer online since April 3, 2007, NetGalley aficionado. Re..."

Glad to have you here too, Mallory!

message 9: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalyn) | 6 comments Hi! I answer to lots of different names, but IRL most people call me Stina. I mostly read (and write) mystery, SFF, and various combinations thereof, but sometimes I like a good nonfiction read.

I'm a writer and musician, and occasionally I do temp work grading exam essays to get money for research trips. (Next up: Germany, Czech Republic, Austria, and Italy in 2019.) My current WIP is a screenplay I've pitched as Rear Window meets American Psycho. :-) In the background, I'm still tinkering away with my steampunk thriller labor of love, an urban fantasy treasure hunt, and a suspense novel set in Ancient Samnium.

My hobbies include cooking, D&D, dance, and theatre-going.

message 10: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 3 comments Hi, I am Leni and have, like Elyse, come over from the Facebook group.

I'm a Norwegian living in Wales with an Englishman and two kids, all of us readers but I am probably the most voracious one.

I especially love reading SFF and other speculative/weird/dark fiction and Classics - especially British 19th Century, but I enjoy ranging further afield too. I'm always juggling way too many reading challenges in the mutually antagonistic attempt to both expand my literary horizons and get through the books I already own. Books are the one and only thing I love shopping for, so I am living in a perpetual state of Tsundoku.

message 11: by Readsandeats (new)

Readsandeats | 14 comments Hi, I am Fiona and like a number of others I am also from the Facebook Group.

I am from Scotland, trying to study for a PhD which is a struggle at times.
I have a Youtube channel called Reads and Eats. I try to post there as often as I can.

Reading wise I have a wide range of genres I like and realise that with all the books I own I need a Room of Requirement.
Am looking forward to being a member of this group.

message 12: by Lolita (new)

Lolita | 6 comments Hello all. I am Lolita and this is my first readathon. Thought I'd give it a try. I am from the Philippines but is now based in the US. I love detective novels but once in a while I would read from the other genres as well.

message 13: by Carol (new)

Carol | 18 comments Hello to everyone. I am from Lebanon, Pennsylvania. I am retired
and love to read. My favorites are mysterious, thrillers, cozies,
romantic suspense and all eras in historical fiction.
I am also from the Facebook Group. I enjoy Michelle’s Read-a-Thons.

message 14: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (wolfewoman) | 1 comments Hi! I'm here from the Facebook group. I'm live in Houston.

message 15: by Michelle (new)

Stina wrote: "Hi! I answer to lots of different names, but IRL most people call me Stina. I mostly read (and write) mystery, SFF, and various combinations thereof, but sometimes I like a good nonfiction read.

..."

Welcome! I did not know all this about you! Cool travel plans coming up. I also love D&D, but haven't played in years. I'm moving back to Michigan in three years and I still have friends up there who play so I'll get to again. :)

message 16: by Michelle (new)

Leni wrote: "Hi, I am Leni and have, like Elyse, come over from the Facebook group.

I'm a Norwegian living in Wales with an Englishman and two kids, all of us readers but I am probably the most voracious one.
..."

Welcome, Leni! You and I are the same when it comes to books. They are also what I love shopping for...as my 3000+ books home library would attest to. :)

message 17: by Michelle (new)

Readsandeats wrote: "Hi, I am Fiona and like a number of others I am also from the Facebook Group.

I am from Scotland, trying to study for a PhD which is a struggle at times.
I have a Youtube channel called Reads an..."

Welcome, Fiona! Glad to have you with us when you can due to your PhD work. :)

message 18: by Michelle (new)

Lolita wrote: "Hello all. I am Lolita and this is my first readathon. Thought I'd give it a try. I am from the Philippines but is now based in the US. I love detective novels but once in a while I would read from..."

Welcome, Lolita! I hope you enjoy your first readathon. I think you will soon find you will be easily hooked on them. :)

message 19: by Michelle (new)

Carol wrote: "Hello to everyone. I am from Lebanon, Pennsylvania. I am retired
and love to read. My favorites are mysterious, thrillers, cozies,
romantic suspense and all eras in historical fiction.
I am also fr..."

Welcome, Carol! Glad to have you joining us here too. :)

message 20: by Michelle (new)

Rachel wrote: "Hi! I'm here from the Facebook group. I'm live in Houston."

Welcome, Rachel!

message 21: by Diana (new)

Diana | 49 comments Hi!
I would always share updates for these readathons on my blog (Little Miss Drama Queen) but I decided it was time to say goodbye to my blogging days and ended it in April, so I definitely needed a new place for all that.
I'm a part of the Facebook group but haven't been very active, this is officially my first readathon without the blog so I'm still trying to get the hang of non-blog updates. I've been joining these since I stared my blog seven years ago so it is a bit of an adjustment.

message 22: by Michelle (new)

Diana wrote: "Hi!
I would always share updates for these readathons on my blog (Little Miss Drama Queen) but I decided it was time to say goodbye to my blogging days and ended it in April, so I definitely needed..."

Welcome, Diana! I would imagine it would be an adjustment. I hope you enjoy our new group. :)

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi I've known Michelle in the book world for years now. I always hope to participate more. Maybe one year I'll succeed! hehe

message 24: by Michelle (new)

Coral wrote: "Hi I've known Michelle in the book world for years now. I always hope to participate more. Maybe one year I'll succeed! hehe"

Welcome, Coral! Yes, we have known each other for a long time. Glad you're joining us here too. :)

message 25: by Michelle (new)

Dee ~ Chillin’ Out wrote: "Hi Michelle! I just received your friend invitation, and then saw that you were connected to this group! Thank you:) I thought that I might come and have a look see for myself. I'm Deidre (Dee to m..."

Hi Dee! Sorry it took me so long to respond. Glad you joined the group, and welcome to blogging. I've been doing it for over nine years so if you ever have any questions, just let me know. :)

message 26: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (shewolf0316) | 54 comments hello. I just joined the facebook group a few months ago. then I found the goodreads group tonight. This is my first Fright Fall Readathon. I love a good horror, thriller, gothic, mystery. so this is going to be fun!

message 27: by Michelle (new)

Kelley wrote: "hello. I just joined the facebook group a few months ago. then I found the goodreads group tonight. This is my first Fright Fall Readathon. I love a good horror, thriller, gothic, mystery. so this ..."

Welcome, Kelley! So glad to have you joining us here, and in the Facebook group. Happy Reading!

message 28: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Hupe | 1 comments Hello! I am new, I joined via Goodreads. I am so excited to participate with everyone. I am from Southern California and I have 2 kids. I am currently participating in the Tackle That TBR read-a-thon but between the holidays and sick kids I did not get much done, I am hoping the new year will be better!

message 29: by Michelle (new)

Amanda wrote: "Hello! I am new, I joined via Goodreads. I am so excited to participate with everyone. I am from Southern California and I have 2 kids. I am currently participating in the Tackle That TBR read-a-th..."

Welcome, Amanda! Glad to have you with us. I'm hoping the new year will be better as well.

message 30: by Rachel Anne (new)

Rachel Anne (racheldespins) Hello! I'm Rachel from Delaware. I'm also in the Facebook group but I haven't been that active there lately. My favorite genres are sci-fi, nonfiction, mysteries, and fantasy. I also like to read graphic novels/comic books. :)

message 31: by Michelle (new)

Rachel Anne wrote: "Hello! I'm Rachel from Delaware. I'm also in the Facebook group but I haven't been that active there lately. My favorite genres are sci-fi, nonfiction, mysteries, and fantasy. I also like to read g..."

Welcome, Rachel Anne!

message 32: by Gemma (new)

Gemma | 3 comments Hi I'm Gemma, I'm living in Ireland. I have 4 kids, 6 chickens and 2 dogs! I love to read whenever I get a spare min.
I pretty much read any genre.
Thanks for having me in your group. x

message 33: by Michelle (new)

Gemma wrote: "Hi I'm Gemma, I'm living in Ireland. I have 4 kids, 6 chickens and 2 dogs! I love to read whenever I get a spare min.
Thanks for having me in your group. x"

Welcome, Gemma!

message 34: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 438 comments Gemma wrote: "Hi I'm Gemma, I'm living in Ireland. I have 4 kids, 6 chickens and 2 dogs! I love to read whenever I get a spare min.
Thanks for having me in your group. x"

Four kids, how do you even get a spare minute? lol.

message 35: by Estella (new)

Estella (estelladavis) Hello! I’m Hannah from Kentucky and I’m 16 (feels kind of weird being the youngest here haha) and currently a high school sophomore! I have 3 dogs and 2 cats and I adore all of them :) My favorite genres are fantasy (YA and high), historical fiction, sci fi, and YA. So excited for this year’s readathon!

message 36: by Renee (new)

Renee Smith (rbirdy89) | 20 comments I just seen this and I am not a member of the facebook page yet but will be soon :) I am 47 and I am a major reader. I am married for 30 years with 3 grown children and a wonderful granddaughter. My library is over 4000 books almost 5000. My TBR list is massive because I keep adding, there's just too many books and I can't turn them away.I donate the books I give away, well the ones that dont go to friends.Im putting my husband in the poorhouse he says so I have stopped buying for a little while. I read almost every genre except really mushy romance novels. It just has to have a good storyline I guess. Im really excited to do a read-a-thon. Thank you for accepting me in your group.

message 37: by LuAnn (new)

LuAnn (luannbraley) | 1 comments Hi All. Y'all have got another Kentuckian here. I'm 57 and rediscovered reading for pleasure (aka reading for me) at the end of 2013 when I also discovered reading challenges and book tours. After years of reading financial case studies (for school) and Berenstain Bears, etc. (for my kids), I was thrilled to learn there was a whole world of books out there for me too!

I've got three 'kids' (15, 22 and 20) that roll their eyes when 'Mom' gets /another/ book and a husband of 22 years who knows he better /not/ roll his eyes when another book comes in the mail. ROFL. But he redeemed himself somewhat when he bought me a book for Christmas.

Women Who Run With the Wolves Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype by Clarissa Pinkola Estés

I love books, prefer print to ebooks, and am excited to be here and start the 2019 reading year off with a *bang*!

message 38: by Michelle (new)

Hannah wrote: "Hello! I’m Hannah from Kentucky and I’m 16 (feels kind of weird being the youngest here haha) and currently a high school sophomore! I have 3 dogs and 2 cats and I adore all of them :) My favorite ..."

Welcome, Hannah! Does my heart good when teens love to read. Reminds me of myself at that age. :-)

Hope you enjoy the readathon!

message 39: by Michelle (new)

Renee wrote: "I just seen this and I am not a member of the facebook page yet but will be soon :) I am 47 and I am a major reader. I am married for 30 years with 3 grown children and a wonderful granddaughter. M..."

Welcome, Renee! Seems we are two peas in a pod. I have a similar number of books in my home library. I'm moving back to Michigan in two years and you can bet the books are coming with. It's going to be so much fun. lol

Glad to have you with us and I hope you enjoy the readathon. Hope to see you in the Facebook group as well. :-)

message 40: by Michelle (new)

LuAnn wrote: "Hi All. Y'all have got another Kentuckian here. I'm 57 and rediscovered reading for pleasure (aka reading for me) at the end of 2013 when I also discovered reading challenges and book tours. After ..."

Welcome to the group, LuAnn! So glad that you rediscovered reading and it led you to us. I have that book! Have not read it yet, but I have it. :-)

Enjoy the readathon!

message 41: by Renee (new)

Renee Smith (rbirdy89) | 20 comments I will absolutely be in the facebook group when I can find it, lol. I found the web page and Im going to do the Book to movie read-a-thon but now I gotta find the facebook page. Im so tired being in and out of the hospital though Im not surprised if I missed it. I will look again. Thanks for the warm welcome :)

message 42: by Michelle (new)

Renee wrote: "I will absolutely be in the facebook group when I can find it, lol. I found the web page and Im going to do the Book to movie read-a-thon but now I gotta find the facebook page. Im so tired being i..."

I'm so sorry you have been in and out of the hospital. I hope you're doing better now.

Here's the link to the Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/seaso...

message 43: by Autumn (new)

Autumn | 1 comments Hey ya'll,

I am joining here from Michelle's blog post and realized I have joined in her readathons but never joined on Goodreads. I am a mother of two a 12 year old boy and a 6 year old girl. I am a substitute teacher when needed and a stay at home mom the rest of the time. I spent my time when I have time to myself to relax going between reading and playing video games. I read really anything that catches my fancy and my goal this year as I seem to have picked up a lot more work is 100.

message 44: by Michelle (new)

Autumn wrote: "Hey ya'll,

I am joining here from Michelle's blog post and realized I have joined in her readathons but never joined on Goodreads. I am a mother of two a 12 year old boy and a 6 year old girl. I a..."

Welcome to the group, Autumn! Glad to have you with us for another readathon.

message 45: by Robynn (new)

Robynn Gabel (rlgabel) | 1 comments Hello out there. I am an avid reader, who retired and decided to try my hand at being an author. I am eclectic in what I like to read. A friend sent me a link to the Winter Respite Readathon and I decided to join in and take a break from writing. Looking forward to meeting you all. :)

message 46: by Michelle (new)

Robynn wrote: "Hello out there. I am an avid reader, who retired and decided to try my hand at being an author. I am eclectic in what I like to read. A friend sent me a link to the Winter Respite Readathon and I ..."

Welcome, Robynn! Glad to have you joining us. I received your message about prizes and I will be emailing you soon. Thanks!

message 47: by Tari (new)

Tari (thann) | 29 comments Hi all! I'm a cozy mystery reader and was checking a bunch of links that Bev H has at her Reading Challenges blog--I saw the blog post for this one, but I'm doing so many blog-hosted challenges that it's getting a little out of hand and I'm worried I won't remember the periodic link-ups, so I would like to just do this one on Goodreads and keep it simpler. Do 3 books I've read so far this year count since I'm just joining? Thanks!

message 48: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 438 comments Tari wrote: "Hi all! I'm a cozy mystery reader and was checking a bunch of links that Bev H has at her Reading Challenges blog--I saw the blog post for this one, but I'm doing so many blog-hosted challenges tha..."

I'll speak for Michelle and say yes! Anything you've read so far this year counts even though you're just joining us. And welcome! :)

message 49: by Michelle (new)

Tari wrote: "Hi all! I'm a cozy mystery reader and was checking a bunch of links that Bev H has at her Reading Challenges blog--I saw the blog post for this one, but I'm doing so many blog-hosted challenges tha..."

Thanks, Elyse! Yes, all books count if you started them on January 1st or after. Thanks for joining us, Tari and welcome!

message 50: by Michelle (new)

Hi Kelley! Great job.

There's a Winter's Respite thread for updates, in case you missed it.

Glad to have you with us for the readathon. :-)

« previous 1