Art Lovers discussion

Works with Emotion > The secrets of Girl with a Pearl Earring

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8544 comments I'm not really sure in which folder to put this, but it is a brief, 6 minute video of "A new research project at the Mauritshuis in The Hague hopes to unlock some of the mysteries that surround Vermeer’s masterpiece. Watch the video to find out more." ...

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/2018...

message 2: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1959 comments Very interesting, Heather. Thanks for posting this. I hope they'll publicize what they find out. I'm a sucker for paintings with a great sense of light, so Vermeer has long been a favorite of mine.

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8544 comments Ruth wrote: "Very interesting, Heather. Thanks for posting this. I hope they'll publicize what they find out. I'm a sucker for paintings with a great sense of light, so Vermeer has long been a favorite of mine."

You're welcome, Ruth! He is also one of my favorites.

message 4: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments Three cheers for Vermeer. Scarlett J. did a bang up job as the lass with the earring. She played it just right.

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8544 comments One question he said in the end that we will never answer no matter how much technology we have, is “what was she about to say”?

Would anyone like to throw out some suggestions on what you think a young girl would be turning to say as she is being painted? Or maybe not as the subject of the painting but what would maybe a younger girl turn to you and say in the moment?

message 6: by Mark (new)

Mark André Four cheers for Vermeer! And Yes! It's all about the light! Sunlight! Magic stuff!
I don't want her to say anything! I think it is a silly question and it infringes upon my enjoyment of the painting. Anyone, well, anyone of the male variety is going to tell you that slightly open lips are much sexier than a closed mouth. That's the way it is. If it's really important that she say something, how about, "How much longer do I have to sit this way?" - )

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8544 comments Hahaha, great answer, Mark! I was just asking the question they asked in the video. I did not know that men thought that way about parted lips. Hmmm maybe I’ll do some selfies that way.

I’m sorry, immature statement in this sophisticated group. But I was thinking the same question of what she could have been about to say “how much longer? Are you almost done yet?”. I know that’s what I would be thinking! I do wonder how many sittings it took for him to paint her in that position. Neck turned that way probably wouldn’t feel too well after awhile.

Does anyone know how long it took him to complete this fabulous work?

message 8: by Mark (new)

Mark André Dear Heather, I did not mean to imply in any way that you had asked a silly question. I was pointing my finger at the BBC and the silly people in Holland. I may not be qualified to speak for men in general, especially about what makes any particular woman attractive; but, I think she's hot! - )

message 9: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8544 comments I didn’t take it that way, Mark, no worries!

message 10: by Mark (new)

Mark André Heather wrote: "I didn’t take it that way, Mark, no worries!"
Cool! - )

message 11: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments Mark wrote: "Dear Heather, I did not mean to imply in any way that you had asked a silly question. I was pointing my finger at the BBC and the silly people in Holland. I may not be qualified to speak for men in..."

But Scarlett is hotter!!

message 12: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8544 comments Haha these are funny, (enlightening for me) comments from you men!

message 13: by Mark (new)

Mark André Geoffrey wrote: "Mark wrote: "Dear Heather, I did not mean to imply in any way that you had asked a silly question. I was pointing my finger at the BBC and the silly people in Holland. I may not be qualified to spe..."

But who is Scarlett? - )

message 14: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8544 comments I wondered the same thing... Scarlett O’Hara? (Sp?)

message 15: by Mark (new)

Mark André My wife explained the Scarlett reference: she understood it right away. It is the first name of the actress who played the role in the movie. Geoffrey: I checked-her-out ms. Scarlett at Imdb. I flipped back-and-forth between her and the painting a few times ... I'm not prepare to concede the point just yet. The woman in the painting looks younger and more innocent, and to my mind that adds to her appeal. I grant you ms. S. is quite ravishing in the picture from the movie. - )

message 16: by Lance (new)

Lance Charnes (lcharnes) | 83 comments Here's a side-by-side comparison between both versions of Girl with a Pearl Earring. Scarlett Johansson is the one on the left.

Ms. Johansson was only seventeen during production of the film. She also appeared in Lost in Translation in 2003, opposite Bill Murray.

message 17: by Mark (new)

Mark André Lance wrote: "Here's a side-by-side comparison between both versions of Girl with a Pearl Earring. Scarlett Johansson is the one on the left.

Ms. Johansson was only seventeen during production of the film. Sh..."

Thank you, Lance. Very cool! I apologize Ms Johansson about her age. To me, Vermeer's model still looks younger. And his lighting is
far more faltering to her face. Wonderful comparison.

message 18: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8544 comments Lance! It’s been a minute that we’ve heard from you, welcome back!

message 19: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8544 comments Lance wrote: "Here's a side-by-side comparison between both versions of Girl with a Pearl Earring. Scarlett Johansson is the one on the left.

Ms. Johansson was only seventeen during production of the film. Sh..."

Now I see it, on my phone it wouldn't show pictures. I think the portrait is prettier, Geoffrey might think Johansson is 'hot', maybe to a 20th century man, but she looks more like a modern vixen to me. Vermeer's girl looks more innocent. I don't know if that's what makes her look 'younger' but she does look more wholesome, whereas Scarlett looks like she's trying to be a model or something. I, personally, don't like their choice of her for the role to play the Girl with the Pearl Earring. I don't know, I just don't think she looks like a girl in the 17th century or has the youthful look of innocence that Vermeer's girl has.
(I'm sorry, but she also looks like she got Botox done on her lips)

message 20: by Heather (last edited Jul 14, 2018 04:56PM) (new)

Heather | 8544 comments And she may have had the Botox, looks like she got implants, too. She is pretty, but fake.

There you go, Geoffrey!

message 21: by Heather (last edited Jul 14, 2018 04:45PM) (new)

Heather | 8544 comments oh! I'm sorry, I did my homework. Those are her real lips! Wow, lucky girl! But she did have several nose jobs. Ok, enough Heather. I'm just saying I love Vermeer's girl, and the painting, but maybe I'm biased because I've always loved Vermeer and this painting can do no wrong.

message 22: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments SJ has a quiet, understated, slightly seductive sensuality that directors have used in some of the films that she has played in. I am a bit surprised that she has continued to act as I thought she was but a flash in the pan. Perhaps she is a delight for directors to use her considering how many demanding prima donnas there are out there.
some actors are easy to direct, others kill their careers by being demanding and no matter how talented, the directors are sick and tired of them and get blacklisted.

message 23: by Mark (last edited Jul 14, 2018 08:07PM) (new)

Mark André I am totally infatuated with this particular Vermeer painting! - )
Not only her beautiful bright face, but also the magnificent tail of her head dress.

message 24: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments I come close to being infatuated. I wouldn´t go so far as to say that. I have no fantasies about the woman, but the painting is incredible.

message 25: by Mark (new)

Mark André Yes! with the painting. - )

message 26: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8544 comments Geoffrey wrote: "SJ has a quiet, understated, slightly seductive sensuality that directors have used in some of the films that she has played in. I am a bit surprised that she has continued to act as I thought she ..."

I haven't seen any movies that SJ has been in, 'slightly' seductive? Yes, she looks seductive. But since you thought she was only "but a flash in the pan", do you mean she isn't the greatest at acting? But it's more her looks and demeanor that give her the roles?

message 27: by Heather (last edited Jul 14, 2018 10:53PM) (new)

Heather | 8544 comments Yes, the painting is fantastic! I absolutely love the lighting, especially accentuating the fabric of her clothing. It kind of indicates the type of fabric, as in silk or satin. The light on the one side of her face with the whole rest of that side of her in shadow, except for the tail of her head wrap. It is all in the light but there is shadowing in the wrinkles or folds. It's almost tactile.

message 28: by Amalie (last edited Jul 15, 2018 06:07AM) (new)

Amalie  | 157 comments Mark wrote: "Anyone, well, anyone of the male variety is going to tell you that slightly open lips are much sexier than a closed mouth...."

Yes! The the mysterious reason behind beauty queen contestents always keeping their lips slightly apart.

As for the movie, I think Scarlett Johansson did really well however I don't think she was the best choice because the shape of her face is very different from the girl in Vermeer's painting. Also the eyes, they don't match at all. The essence in the painting according to what I feel is in her eyes and the lips (as Mark has pointed out.)

Innocent eyes, seductive lips.

message 29: by Mark (new)

Mark André I didn't realize it was a bit on the small side: just adds to it's fantasticness! Also, the light on her face seems almost to bright for natural light. - )

message 30: by Lance (last edited Jul 15, 2018 11:20AM) (new)

Lance Charnes (lcharnes) | 83 comments Heather wrote: "And she may have had the Botox, looks like she got implants, too."

Having seen her in Under the Skin, I can attest that she doesn't have implants. What you're seeing is the magic of the bustier.

Heather wrote: "But since you thought she was only "but a flash in the pan", do you mean she isn't the greatest at acting? But it's more her looks and demeanor that give her the roles?"

She was nominated for both the Golden Globe and BAFTA awards for both Girl with a Pearl Earring and Lost in Translation, and won the BAFTA for the latter film. She's been periodically nominated for awards since. She hasn't always made the best choices in projects. Now she's deeply enmeshed in the Marvel Universe movies and has been in a few other action films that don't ask much of her (I'm sure the pay is great). However, she was also in two of Woody Allen's best recent films, Vicky Christina Barcelona and Match Point and did well in them.

Blondes don't do much for me, but I do rather enjoy her voice.

message 31: by Mark (new)

Mark André I find the word bustier a lot more attractive than implants. - )

message 32: by Heather (last edited Jul 15, 2018 11:25AM) (new)

Heather | 8544 comments Lance wrote: "Heather wrote: "And she may have had the Botox, looks like she got implants, too."

Having seen her in Under the Skin, I can attest that she doesn't have implants. What you're seeing is the magic o..."

Well, I did read more. She did actually (in Mark's words) become 'bustier' cosmologically from a B cup to a DD but then had the silicone removed in recent years. I don't have that page up and can't find where I read it, but yes, she did have them at one point. And you could be right, they are aided in fullness by the bustier.

Found it: https://www.betrendsetter.com/scarlet...

message 33: by Mark (new)

Mark André My fantasies have been de-fused. Her imbd picture for the movie was very pleasing. - )

message 34: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments Heather wrote: "Geoffrey wrote: "SJ has a quiet, understated, slightly seductive sensuality that directors have used in some of the films that she has played in. I am a bit surprised that she has continued to act ..."

I think she is a good actress, but limited in range. She is best typecast and in her superhero roles. I believe her to be perfect in "The Girl with an Earring" and the only other actress that comes immediately to mind for that role would be Christina Ricci, fifteen years ago. Or possibly Amy Weitz. As for comparing her demeanor with the Vermeer painting-that is a false comparison as the novel on which the movie was based, digressed from the personality as depicted by V.

message 35: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8544 comments Geoffrey wrote: "Heather wrote: "Geoffrey wrote: "SJ has a quiet, understated, slightly seductive sensuality that directors have used in some of the films that she has played in. I am a bit surprised that she has c..."

It's interesting to read what you think of her acting, movies she is in, and comparing it to the painting. I like to know that info. I don't watch movies or tv...ever. I am not familiar with any current celebrities or even movies.

I've never seen the movie about the painting which we are discussing, so I don't have much info to divulge of my opinion because I don't think I've ever seen her act. In fact, I didn't even know who she was when it was disclosed what 'Scarlett' you're talking about. Now I know one celebrity!

But my interest in the movie is piqued, I really want to see it now!

message 36: by Amalie (new)

Amalie  | 157 comments Heather wrote: "Yes, the painting is fantastic! I absolutely love the lighting, especially accentuating the fabric of her clothing. It kind of indicates the type of fabric, as in silk or satin. The light on the on..."

Vermeer's "Girl's Head" has the same composition. Not sure which one was done first but this subject seemed to have interested him a lot or/and it was his forte.

Girl's head, 1665-1667
Johannes Vermeer ( Dutch 1632 -1675 )
Oil on canvas
44.5 × 40 cm
Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York.

message 37: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8544 comments Amalie wrote: "Vermeer's "Girl's Head" has the same composition. Not sure which one was done first but this subject seemed to have interested him a lot or/and it was his forte. "

Thank you for posting that Amalie! It is interesting to see both paintings.