What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Childrens book. Child writes a letter to "Yeye" (grandfather) thanking him for a beautiful sweater (and scarf?), excited about the gift. Possibly about different types of letters you write? Read in early-mid 1990s.

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Harig | 7 comments This is a children's book my father (who passed away 11 months ago) used to read to my brother and I in the early 90s. We cannot remember many details but do know that it was special to us. The only plot point we remember is a child writing a letter that stated "Dear Yeye, thank you for my beautiful sweater." It may have been thanking Yeye for a scarf too.

We know this is a long shot but thanks for trying to help!!

message 2: by Becca (new)

Becca (beccalikesbooks) | 3305 comments Was it a picture book or a chapter book? Were there illustrations? Was the letter to Yeye the main story, or a small part, can you remember?

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Harig | 7 comments OMG thank you for responding. I think it was a picture book and was a small part of the story over all. It could’ve been a chapter book with pictures though?

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36637 comments Mod
Sarah, who are the characters in the story (e.g., gender, age, who is Yeye)?

Do you recall the color of the sweater (or scarf)?

Can you describe the illustrations - realistic/cartoony/cute, simple/detailed, painted watercolors/bold graphics, bright/dark/muted colors/black & white?

Do they remind you of another illustrator or picture book author?

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Harig | 7 comments I really don’t know many of the other details but always remember this part. I think the letter to Yeye was the picture for that part of the story. It said something to the effect of thank you for my beautiful sweater so I’m assuming it was a birthday or Christmas gift. It would have been available in the early-mid 90s. Yeye was the grandfather of the child. It would’ve had to have been something that could keep the attention of preschool/kindergarten aged children and younger.

message 6: by Kris (new)

Was the child excited to receive the sweater? Or did s/he want something else?

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Harig | 7 comments They were excited!

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Harig | 7 comments My mom thinks it was a book about different types of letters you’d write. But isn’t positive

message 9: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Were the characters Chinese?

Google says "yeye" is Mandarin for grandfather.

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Harig | 7 comments Possibly/probably. I hate that we can’t remember more details

message 11: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Still looking, Sarah?

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Harig | 7 comments Rainbow hearts— yes!!

message 13: by Kris (new)

Was the sweater (and possibly scarf) handmade by the child's grandmother?

What's the location?