You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Chit Chat About Books > Book Formats and Cover Changes

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Books With Chi (new)

Books With Chi | 22 comments I have limited bookshelf space and so I like to reserve my bookshelf for books I find have really pretty covers. The other books that I don't like the cover for will go on my kindle. Here's the kicker. I can live with a mix of paperback and hardback, though that is very hard for me to do since book size changes and I have to resist the urge to rebuy books that were given to me as a gift just because they didn't buy all one format.

The kicker for me is though when I'm buying books in a series and they do a cover change and the books don't match and are sometimes uglier than what they were. Would you guys be okay with buying the first couple of beautiful books in physical format and then the rest of the books that don't match in Kindle? Or would you suck it up and buy the non-matching covers because you already have them in physical format? Looking for other people's opinions because I'm having a hard time deciding on this.

message 2: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51915 comments I like uniformity, so I prefer series books to have the same style in covers. I'm not sure that I would replace books to match. I have a mix of Stephen King's Dark Tower series and it's a bit expensive to replace them all so that they match. I guess I'm not that much of a collector.

message 3: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited Jun 30, 2018 01:25AM) (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15584 comments Same here. If I can get a series in the same format, I try to do so. Sometimes it doesn't work out though, so I have some mismatching series on my shelves, and since I had one mismatch I don't mind so much anymore. Actually, I think many of my series either slightly don't match (like same style cover but different sizes/formats) or don't match at all (different sizes/formats, and covers).

If I have a series I love in paper though, I wouldn't want the rest on kindle. I buy them all, even if the covers don't match. If it's a series I started but am not super excited about, the rest of the books on kindle is fine.