flight paths discussion

What are you reading? > ach its august

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2245 comments precious month: how make the most of it?

message 2: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2245 comments still immersed in the Book of Disquiet and getting a little bored with ACasual Vacancy.anyone read either of these?

message 3: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1217 comments I loved the Book of Disquiet-I think I even want to reread it (someday). I haven't been interested in Vacancy so I have nothing to add on that one.

message 4: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2245 comments the book of disquiet is remarkable book.Even as i apprecisted it it was hard to take at times.
rhe Rowlung is supposed to be a bit if comic reluef..

message 5: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1217 comments Try Lover at the Chameleon Club. I'm not actually a fan of Francine Prose but this book is quite different.

Next up is Smuggler's Bible and Tom Rachman's new work, The Rise & Fall of Great Powers: A Novel.

I tried The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry, apparently very popular as something of a wedge book, but have not yet been able to really get into it. Not the best writing, although not bad. Just not interesting to me, not yet anyway.

message 6: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 740 comments Ordered 5 books from the library, 2 received, 1 to pick up - a sudden impulse to reduce the TBR. Carefully considering book purchases for September holiday, already the suitcase is full of books to gift to the local library.

message 7: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2245 comments hey I have the Smugglers bible from the library

message 8: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1217 comments Let me know-I've put it down for the moment but want to get back to it. It took more concentration than I have at the moment but seemed fascinating and worth the work. I can't wait to hear your opinion of it.

message 9: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2245 comments library pressure...had put Houellebecq aside for the moment and oops his books are due tomorrow. smugglers bible looks pretty dense and will have to wait

message 10: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1217 comments smuggler's bible is nothing but dense. Murakami's new book, Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage is fun.

message 11: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2245 comments Ellie wrote: "smuggler's bible is nothing but dense. Murakami's new book, Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage is fun."

haha! I am number 232 on the library list.

spent a lot of the day reading Platform by Michel Houellebecq Platform
feeling alternatively keen and repelled

message 12: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2245 comments just started Smugglerd bible
immediately engrossing!

message 13: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1217 comments Magdelanye wrote: "just started Smugglerd bible
immediately engrossing!"

I really look forward to your reactions.

message 14: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 740 comments Orders placed for The Bone House and books 3&4 of Bright Empires, a bit of scifi calssicFoundation and Earth and Shadows in Flight for holiday reading.

message 15: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2245 comments A Smuggler's Bible is amazing...finished it the other day and am working on my review...yes there are some "huh?" moments but the book is brilliant and thought provoking.
Look forward to comments