Play Book Tag discussion

The Outsider
This topic is about The Outsider
Archive: Other Books > The Outsider - Stephen King - 4.5*

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Elise (ellinou) 4.5 stars

In a little town called Flint City, the rape murder of 11-year-old Frank Peterson deeply shocks everyone. Even more so when the popular baseball coach, husband and father of two little girls Terry Maitland is accused. Witnesses, fingerprints and DNA evidence convince the cops that they definitely have the right man and they go ahead and make a very public arrest. Trouble is, Terry Maitland has an ironclad alibi that places him dozens of miles away from Flint City at the exact time of the murder. Ralph Peterson, the detective leading the investigation, has to live with his mistake. Did he arrest the wrong man? If he did, is the real murderer still running around? What is he going to do about that?

Some of King’s most recent works have been arguably so-so, but I really loved this one! It was a wonderful mix of his new detective style (in fact fans of the Bill Hodges series will love this one *wink*) and his good old-fashioned horror.

As is usual for Stephen King novels, this was easy to read. I got through the nearly-600 pages in just over 8 days. It’s written in shortish segments, jumping around from one point of view to another, sometimes from one thread to another, so you never have time to get bored. It keeps you on the edge of your seat all the time.

The reason I docked half a star is because the ending turned out to be a bit of a let-down after so much build-up. Maybe it’s just me, and I’ve read too many SK novels, but I felt there was nothing new in the ending, really, and it ended up happening a bit too quickly for my taste. But as I said, maybe it’s just me, maybe someone reading this as their first SK would have a totally different opinion.

All in all though, very very good read. Stephen King has definitely found his stride in this new genre.

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Reading now, about 1/2 way through and wondering what is going on?