SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

TV and Movie Chat > Anime Recommendations

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bobby (new)

Bobby | 869 comments I used to watch just a few Anime series when I was younger. Recently, I decided I wanted to get back into it, so I got a subscription to Funimation. I only really watched Dragon Ball Z, part of Dragon Ball, and Yu Yu Hakusho when I was into it. I went ahead and started Dragon Ball, and I'm enjoying the nostalgia. Then I plan to re-watch Dragon Ball Z and start in on Dragon Ball Super.

The reason for the post is I'd like some recommendations for some more recent Anime that might have some of the things I loved about the old ones I used to watch. I'm looking for something with over the top fighting and powers. Humor is always good, but I don't mind something serious. I love the tournaments of Dragon Ball Z and Yu Yu Hakusho, so anything similar would be good.

I only watched the few shows I mentioned, so I'm sure there are tons of famous and popular series out there that I've never heard of. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

message 2: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Allison Hurd | 13043 comments Mod
COWBOY BEBOP! It's classic, and gets better as it goes. Not too long, like Bleach or Full Metal Alchemist (which are also worth checking out, but RIP your free time. I also am sort of meh about them)

People love Ghost in the Shell and Appleseed.

I personally really love (Seirei no) Moribito--absolutely stunning art.

And I have a huge weak spot for Darker than Black, which I believe is back on Netflix?

message 3: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 2306 comments I’ve always had a soft spot for Sailor Moon....

message 4: by Noor (new)

Noor Al-Shanti | 52 comments Naruto and HunterxHunter both have fighting and cool powers.

message 5: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Murrell | 582 comments Ranma 1/2 was one of my first anime series; I still love it.

message 6: by Bobby (new)

Bobby | 869 comments Thanks everyone, this will give me a great place to start from. Lol I just don't know which to start first.

I have heard good things about One Punch Man and My Hero Academia too, but I think they are newer. Has anyone seen them?

message 7: by Noor (new)

Noor Al-Shanti | 52 comments Yes, I've seen One Punch Man. It's pretty good. It kind of pokes fun at the whole superhero with amazing powers thing by being very over the top. Definitely worth checking out.

message 8: by Jose (last edited Jun 30, 2018 08:05AM) (new)

Jose Brox (josebrox) | 16 comments I second Hunter x Hunter, with manga by the same author as Yu Yu Hakusho, and my favorite anime (you'd better see the 1999 version, and then, after that, re-watch the Greed Island arc from the 2011 version and continue it from there) and Naruto (which at the start looks like an HxH ripoff, then gets better), but be careful with Naruto's fillers, which are 40% of the series: just avoid them (take a look at ultimatefillerlist in the net). The One Punch Man anime just have one season yet, the second one should be ready soon. In a completely different style, I recommend Death Note, Code Geass, Basilisk, and Attack on Titan.

message 9: by Dj (new)

Dj | 1973 comments I am partial to Fairy Tail, a little heavy on the fanservice, but the strongest character in the show is a Female, mostly funny but some epic fight scenes.

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, which follows the manga much closer than the first series is epic. Rich Story and an interesting view on the difference between looking at things from a good vs. evil viewpoint to more of the consequences of your actions. Heck in the show even Greed can be a good guy. Greedy as heck, but good.

My Lie in April. A deeply moving Anime which proves that there is no box. Anime comes in all types and styles. This is what might be considered a slice of life, no epic battles, no mobile armor suits, just very talented musicians living their lives for a moment in time.

message 10: by Dj (new)

Dj | 1973 comments Oh and despite the fact that it isn't Anime in the truest sense of the word, RWBY. Made by Rooster Teeth, it uses the Japanese Animation Style and has it all. Great Story, Epic Battles, Characters you can invest in and Fairy Tail References. After all the main characters is named Ruby Rose.

The show also has the most epic food fight I have ever seen and I watched Animal House growing up. So that says a lot. Of course, the episode where their dad mails them the dog is pretty hilarious as well.

message 11: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 64 comments I haven’t watched any anime in the past 3-4 years. But, a recent-ish anime that you might enjoy that I can recommend are probably Naruto and Bleach. They both contain lots of fightings.

I second Fullmetal Alchemist, as this is a SF group. The anime is really good. Although I think the manga is even better.

message 12: by Bobby (new)

Bobby | 869 comments I'm adding as many as I can to my Funimation and Netflix lists. I've always heard people talking about Naruto, but I think it was getting popular right after I stopped watching Anime.

I watched the live action version of Death Note on Netflix and I thought the concept was really cool, so I'll definitely want to see the Anime.

message 13: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments Samurai X.

The live action is also very good.

message 14: by James (new)

James Terzian | 10 comments I took a lot of concepts from anime for my book. Mostly Dragonball Z and Naruto. Both are good animes. Other good one is Gundams series like Gumdam, G Gundam, Gundam Wing

message 15: by Cornerofmadness (new)

Cornerofmadness | 55 comments I've been watching anime for 40 years. Feel free to pm me if you want. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is probably one of the best. I also loved Blue Exorcist, Saiyuki, D. Gray-Man and many more.

message 16: by Donald (new)

Donald | 240 comments I've used https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency... to pick out my "next to watch" from time to time and found it works fairly well, as I haven't had much exposure since my mates got me into it back in the early '00s.

message 17: by Robert (new)

Robert Davis (robert_davis) | 78 comments I would recommend watching Toonami every Saturday night on Adult Swim (Cartoon Network) It showcases a long block of eclectic and interesting anime series.

http://www.adultswim.com/toonami/

message 18: by Dj (new)

Dj | 1973 comments For viewing you can also try Crunchy Roll. They have a Free service that allows you to see everything that have listed.

message 19: by Bobby (new)

Bobby | 869 comments Dj wrote: "For viewing you can also try Crunchy Roll. They have a Free service that allows you to see everything that have listed."

That's awesome. I heard of it but didn't realize it was free.

message 20: by Dj (new)

Dj | 1973 comments Bobby wrote: "Dj wrote: "For viewing you can also try Crunchy Roll. They have a Free service that allows you to see everything that have listed."

That's awesome. I heard of it but didn't realize it was free."

They have a pay for service, that cuts out the ads, but heck I can watch a few ads to get it for free.

message 21: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 2526 comments I just started watching One Punch Man. It is so silly it's awesome.

message 22: by Trike (new)

Trike I just finished watching the movie Your Name, which is devastatingly great. It’s funny and sad and just completely brilliant.

This trailer? Doesn’t even scratch the surface. https://youtu.be/o4-URMnBOPU

message 23: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (azalee) | 12 comments Code Geass is a dramatic anime with many twists.

Clannad and its sequel, is a fun and moving anime, more a slice-of-life in a high school.

Shiki or Corpse demon is the dramatic story of a village where newcomers arrive.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica is a different interpretation of magical girls, you have to watch three episodes to get the atmosphere and it is absolutely not an anime to advise to children.

message 24: by Dawn F (new)

Dawn F (psychedk) | 1219 comments Trike wrote: "I just finished watching the movie Your Name, which is devastatingly great. It’s funny and sad and just completely brilliant."

YES YES YES to Your Name. It is magical and deeply moving and punch in the gut and beautiful. I wept through half of it. It's such a unique story about connections through time and distance.

I also read the novel written by the same guy who made the film and it's just as good and even added a lot of little details I hadn't picked up on in the anime.

message 25: by Dawn F (new)

Dawn F (psychedk) | 1219 comments Death Note. Death Note, you guys. It's on Netflix (at least where I am) and is equally chilling, gripping and clever. It's about a young, top of his class but bored young man, Light, who finds a notebook dropped by a Shinigami, a God of Death. Those whose names are written in it will die, according to a set of rules you lean as the show progresses. He sees this as an opportunity to rid the world of evil - by his own standards, of course. Yeah, he's pretty cold and twisted.

The amazing thing about the show is the intellectual match between Light and the mysterious detective named L, hired by the police to find out who this new serial killer, dubbed Kira (killer pronounced in Japanese) is. The cat and mouse games between Light and L are *superb* and cleverly written. I highly recommend this if you're into brainy twists and turns.

message 26: by Bobby (new)

Bobby | 869 comments Dawn wrote: "Death Note. Death Note, you guys. It's on Netflix (at least where I am) and is equally chilling, gripping and clever. It's about a young, top of his class but bored young man, Light, who finds a no..."

I saw the live action Netflix original movie, and it was okay but nothing amazing. At that point I didn't even think about the Anime, but now that I'm looking to watch again, Death Note is one that I will be trying soon. I really like the concept, and I'm excited to see a much more fleshed out version than the live action.

message 27: by Pixiegirl105 (new)

Pixiegirl105 | 113 comments Cornerofmadness wrote: "I've been watching anime for 40 years. Feel free to pm me if you want. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is probably one of the best. I also loved Blue Exorcist, Saiyuki, D. Gray-Man and many more."

Sayuki is sooooooo good!!!!

message 28: by Dawn F (new)

Dawn F (psychedk) | 1219 comments Bobby wrote: "I saw the live action Netflix original movie, and it was okay but nothing amazing. At that point I didn't even think about the Anime, but now that I'm looking to watch again, Death Note is one that I will be trying soon. I really like the concept, and I'm excited to see a much more fleshed out version than the live action..."

Oh no, the American live action remake is awful. It doesn't capture the essence of the anime at all. I'm very new to anime and when I saw the film last year all my anime loving friends cringed and urged me to watch the anime instead, which took me a long time. But now I have and am blown away, it's much, much better, and more intense, and more detailed, and the focus is on L and Light's intellectual battle. I hope you give it a shot!