Historical Fictionistas discussion

Ancient History (Old Threads) > Natalee's 2009 Reading Challenges

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Natalee (new)

Natalee (nataleem00) | 30 comments Ahhhh, this is so much easier than having a separate group for my goals.

message 2: by Natalee (last edited Oct 15, 2009 10:18AM) (new)

Natalee (nataleem00) | 30 comments 50 for 2009:

1. The Virgin Suicides
2. The Luxe
3. Poison Study
4. Club Dead
5. Dead to the World
6. Coraline
7. Promise Not to Tell
8. Revealers
9. Uninvited
10. Dry: A Memoir
11. The Other Boleyn Girl
12. House of Night: Hunted
13. I Capture the Castle
14. The Butterfly Garden
15. Wicked Lovely
16. Anne of Green Gables
17. Looking for Alaska
18. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants
19. Speak
20. The Goose Girl
21. A Northern Light
22. Stargirl
23. Wintergirls
24. Confessions of Georgia Nicholson
25. AngelMonster
26. The Second Summer of the Sisterhood
27. Thirteen Reasons Why
28. A Little Princess
29. I, Coriander
30. The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
31. The Book of Lost Things
32. Alpha Dog
33. The Graveyard Book
34. The Absolute True Diary of a Part-Time Indian
35. The Bewitching Season
36. The Boy from the Basement
37. The Hunger Games
38. The Remarkable Life and Times of Eliza Rose
39. Evermore
40. Sloppy Firsts
41. The House of Mirth
42. Go Ask Alice
43. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
44. Blue Moon
45. Identical
46. The Girl Who Played with Fire

message 3: by Natalee (last edited Oct 15, 2009 10:19AM) (new)

Natalee (nataleem00) | 30 comments A-Z Title Challenge

A
AngelMonster; The Absolute True Diary of a Part-Time Indian; Alpha Dog; Anne of Green Gables

B
Bewitching Season; The Boy in the Striped Pajamas; The Boy From the Basement; The Book of Lost Things; The Butterfly Garden

C
Coraline; Club Dead

D
Dead to the World; Dry: A Memoir

E
Evermore

F

G
The Graveyard Book; The Goose Girl; Go Ask Alice; The Girl Who Played with Fire; The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

H
The Hunger Games; House of Night: Hunted; The House of Mirth

I
I Capture the Castle; I, Coriander; Identical

J

K

L
The Luxe; Looking for Alaska; A Little Princess

M

N
A Northern Light

O
The Other Boleyn Girl

P
Poison Study; Promise Not to Tell

Q

R
Revealers; The Remarkable Life and Times of Eliza Rose

S
Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants; The Second Summer of the Sisterhood; Speak; Stargirl; Sloppy Firsts

T
Thirteen Reasons Why

U
Uninvited

V
The Virgin Suicides

W
Wicked Lovely; Wintergirls

X

Y

Z

message 4: by Misty (new)

Misty | 32 comments How was The Virgin Suicides? I've heard mixed reviews, but I was thinking about reading it.
I need to get my challenges/goals in order. And make a list of the books I own and have yet to read...

message 5: by Natalee (new)

Natalee (nataleem00) | 30 comments Misty wrote: "How was The Virgin Suicides? I've heard mixed reviews, but I was thinking about reading it.
I need to get my challenges/goals in order. And make a list of the books I own and have yet to read..."

I didn't really like it. I had high hopes and was looking forward to it but was let down.

message 6: by Natalee (new)

Natalee (nataleem00) | 30 comments Misty wrote: "How was The Virgin Suicides? I've heard mixed reviews, but I was thinking about reading it.
I need to get my challenges/goals in order. And make a list of the books I own and have yet to read..."

Ohhhh, I watched The House of Mirth on Showtime yesterday! I was surprised how closely they stuck to the dialogue. However, if I hadn't read the book, I would have been very confused. The movie really should've been a mini-series so they could capture the relationships between everyone. That was a crucial part of the story and the movie didn't really convey that part well. Probably too much info to squeeze into two hours. Also, I didnt like Gillian Anderson as Lily. The book always refers to how beautiful and attractive she is. I think maybe Catherine Zeta Jones but she may be too exotic looking. Anyways... thats my two cents. :)

message 7: by Misty (new)

Misty | 32 comments I haven't seen it, but I remember when it came out on Masterpiece Theater (was she nominated for that? Or maybe Bleak House...). She's not what I would picture for Lily either. And yeah, it really would need to be a miniseries, because there are a lot of characters, and everything is so internal because it is relationship based and it's not spoken about, it's implied through body language, snubbings, etc.

message 8: by Natalee (new)

Natalee (nataleem00) | 30 comments Well so much for the alphabet challenge... but I think I'll finish my 50 in 2009 goal. So that's cool!